Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:54 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

[quote=wallstreet1986;980160]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmderosa2k View Post
I only was in Alaska for a year but I must say there is no place like it. You got everything you could need there and yet you also can find peace and quiet anytime you need to. That is God's country and I rarely have found anything in the lower 48 (and I have been through most of it) that compares to Alaska and the people are just the icing on the cake. QUOTE]

Totally agree - I haven't found this often in the lower USA - even down in the Southeast, too many people and subdevelopments in the Blue Ridge Mountains, no real cool frontier feel.

I love the boreal forest, the sound of loons crying on a lake, wolves howling, the snow and northern lights, seeing bears and caribou, the changing of seasons and swelling streams, freezeup and the breaking up of the ice, the color of the winter sunset, berries and stuff like that, log cabins and fire. I've seen that kind of stuff before in Northern Ontario but I'm American and want to move to Alaska. I think I'd move to Fairbanks or wherever I could get a job.
Go Go Go Don't Look back !!!. If you are young its the place to be in the US, for sure !!. I wish I would have done it when I was younger. Always said I would , but , never did, sad.............Just got there 2 years ago, and , YES , I now know I should have gone. Anchorage would be my pick.
The UP of Michigan is as close as I could find in the lower 48....I am retiring there now. Marquette area.
It would have been a toss however, cause Canada has some great places too. If you have not been to Yellow knife , you are missing a special place, like no where else in the world........... Aw , darn it !, wish I could turn back the clock !!......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 PM

7 posts, read 24,889 times
We go to Alaska almost every Summer.
We loved it from the first time we got there. Everybody was super friendly and helpful. Eventually we want to move there. Anybody who wants to move there should really check into everything. I would go there for one winter, just to see if you can handle it. There is only 2 things to say about Alaska. You hate it or love it. That's it. I've been all over the world and Alaska is the only place I would want to settle down. It is expensive there but right now we live in Coeur d" Alene, ID and life is not much cheaper here. Seattle is even worse. Houses here run 200.000 and up.If somebody wants to move on a fixed income, the East Coast is not so bad and PA has a really nice country side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffInWA View Post
I don't know your financial situation, but you mentioned "fixed income". If you're looking at the PNW, keep in mind $220,000 will buy you a trailer. Not a fancy-schmancy modular home, a trailer. And that's in the West Sound. Go to East Sound to Seattle and the suburbs and you're looking at $240,000 for a trailer. New construction generally starts at $349,000. Like I said, may be what you're used to, but just sayin'...

Try this website, a friend of mine gave me: Find Your Spot

Oh, and it rains here. A lot. Count on October through June.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:57 PM

47 posts, read 139,982 times
Default Update!

Well, we are still here

and while I'll admit, there are a few things I said that I may regret... one thing is for sure a few of you have been unkind I was speaking from my heart and did something I RARELY do... Trust!

The Almighty has a way of working things out, and while I stated I wanted out of AK, perhaps, I should have worded it better or excersized caution in posting

TODAY! is my 4 yr Anniversary as a HOMEOWNER! here, in AK!
long story short, this house was brand new when my Realtor found it for me, I've loved her, taken care of her, as best as I can, it is afterall just one disabled mom and 2 kids.... but for this house, I am grateful.
we shall see where g*d leads us

Old 07-01-2007, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 24,889 times
No matter where life leads you, you have to make the best of it. We never know what the future holds for us. All of us have to live our own life, nobody lives it for us. It is tough to be a single Mom. . But you are doing well.
Alaska is not for everybody but no matter where you go you'll find good and bad.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:24 PM

69 posts, read 321,015 times
Congrats insearchof! Pride of home ownership shows in your post.

There were times in my 27 years here that if there was a forum like this I might have posted "I want out of Alaska!" too I was 25 and a single mom of a 3yo daughter when I came up. Left a good job at Boeing in Seattle and never looked back but there were times I wondered what the hell I was doing here.

Did you hear the PFD should be over $1500 this year? That should cheer us up!

Old 07-02-2007, 12:48 PM

[quote=FishTAxi;987176]Congrats insearchof! Pride of home ownership shows in your post.

There were times in my 27 years here that if there was a forum like this I might have posted "I want out of Alaska!" too I was 25 and a single mom of a 3yo daughter when I came up. Left a good job at Boeing in Seattle and never looked back but there were times I wondered what the hell I was doing here.

Did you hear the PFD should be over $1500 this year? That should cheer us up! [/QUOTE

Yes!, I did see that on the front page of the ADN
I do hope the PFD specials are good too!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 PM

55 posts, read 358,315 times
Default Just wondering...

Whats a PFD? thanks

Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insearchof View Post
Well, we are still here

and while I'll admit, there are a few things I said that I may regret... one thing is for sure a few of you have been unkind I was speaking from my heart and did something I RARELY do... Trust!

The Almighty has a way of working things out, and while I stated I wanted out of AK, perhaps, I should have worded it better or excersized caution in posting

TODAY! is my 4 yr Anniversary as a HOMEOWNER! here, in AK!
long story short, this house was brand new when my Realtor found it for me, I've loved her, taken care of her, as best as I can, it is afterall just one disabled mom and 2 kids.... but for this house, I am grateful.
we shall see where g*d leads us
What part of Alaska are you from that it takes 3 hours to get to a Wal-Mart, sounds like you might be in the bush area or in Seward? If that is the case that would explain alot.

Last edited by Tressa; 07-02-2007 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 PM

122 posts, read 393,209 times
Permanent Fund Dividend

That's the share of oil revenues that Alaska residents get.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
What part of Alaska are you from that it takes 3 hours to get to a Wal-Mart, sounds like you might be in the bush area or in Seward? If that is the case that would explain alot.

Let's just say somewhere on the Kenai Peninsula

3 hours might be a tad bit exagerated, but this is a highway and lots of twists & turns unlike freeways in cali that were 6 lanes on each side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska