Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 10,911 times

Advertisements

The locals claim there's been a marked improvement in the last few years. Some downtown neighborhoods don't look so hot, but people are still walking around them. There's a surprising amount of street life. Even middle-class white people sometimes. *gasp*

The arts scene in Troy is supposedly quite good. A lot of professors in art with modern techniques are tied to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and some live in the downtown and absolutely love it. The arts center is excellent. Great classes (not just at the introductory level and lots of variety) and very nice exhibitions.

If you stay near the colleges (RPI, Hudson Valley Community College, Russell Sage) or any place north of Hoosick, it's fine. Brunswick and Sycaway are also fine, but traffic can be heavy going there sometimes, especially Friday evenings.

The local supermarket chain is PriceChopper, which has an okay selection unless you're spoiled from being in a major metropolitan suburb. The Hannaford supermarket in Latham isn't that far and is a bit better. Supposedly they're opening a co-op featuring produce from local farms at low prices in downtown Troy soon. They're aiming for the spring.

There's a very nice Farmer's Market on Saturdays.

There's not much clothes-shopping in Troy or yuppie boutiques in Troy, but they have several bookstores, hardware stores, insurance agents etc. They also have some very nice coffee shops and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 PM

42 posts, read 178,469 times
Default I like troy better than Clifton Park

I moved to Troy 5 years ago, from Clifton Park. Man, I love it a lot more, a lot more diversity and interesting things. It definately has turned around during the last 5 years. I have walked through downtown South Troy at night for exercise for 2 years now (Even through the so called bad sections) and I have never been bothered. I just loved watching Clifton Park turn into a concrete jungle in my teens, and the horrid Northway drive. Where I live is a 60's development near HVCC and is very quiet and peaceful. Close to whereever I want to go. My house has doubled in value in 4 years!!! Anyway, I love it here, would never sell my house.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 AM

85 posts, read 287,877 times
What is HVCC? We are looking to move to Troy in a few years. Do you think one could manage without a car?

Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 AM

6 posts, read 62,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking9 View Post
What is HVCC? We are looking to move to Troy in a few years. Do you think one could manage without a car?

HVCC is Hudson Valley Community College.

You could survive without a car but it would be difficult.

Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-10-2007 at 02:33 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 20,869 times
Ahh, the good old troy..

I went to RPI for 4 years,and to tell you the truth I don't think Troy is as bad as some people say. Maybe it's because I like living in cities (whether big or small). Yes,it does have some very bad parts, but I think that's true with any city. The downtown is very beautiful, IMO , and I would not be afraid to walk around there during the day. It is kind of scary during the night (10PM-2AM) although I did go there a lot. I think the only reason to be in downtown at night is either to go drink at the bars or get food at I Loves (open till 2AM), but you being with a young family I don't think these really apply to you :P I would definitely not live in the downtown area though. I agree with some posters that the Pawling Ave area seems decent. I have no idea about the schools, but if you want to look farther down the line, the whole capital region does seem to have decent colleges (RPI,Sienna,SUNY Albany,Union...)

I think anywhere in the capital region is a nice place to live. If you like cities, like I do, I think Troy would be nice. If you are more into suburbs maybe look at other places around the area.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 15,171 times
Default NOT Troy NY

Troy is NOT a quaint town as they make it to be. It is high in drugs and crime. I am sure about 100 years ago it was nice and quaint and the homes were gorgeous.
I would not recommend it at all! Only my option.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 PM

20 posts, read 99,138 times
the problem with Troy and Upstate, NY is those area's offer nothing to retain people. The jobs are all low paying blue collar. The activities and recreation other than a day trip (which you could experience everything in 2 weeks Upstate has to offer anyways) is non-existant.. Well, I guess other than Saratoga Springs which is a great place 36 days a year during the Summer...

Outside of the Capital Region and New York City the State is crumbling and the people left are uneducated, unmotivated indivduals. You can argue that Albany has some "old wealth" and the Colleges and Universities are present but the truth is motivated kids leave graduation day!

I grew up there and wouldn't go back for any reason other than when my family nags me to visit for Holiday's and even than I spend most of my time in Manhattan.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:48 PM

42 posts, read 178,469 times
Umm,

Nobody wanted to live here 5 years ago, but that has and is changing. I walk South Troy every night never seen drugs or crime over last 2 years. Its better that Saratoga Springs where there is ONLY the Track 1/2 mile downtown and what is in the park THATS ITS!!!! Troy has a mayor that gives a SH** and now a new city council that wants change and may, if they do their jobs right. The businesses are comming back, developers are taking interest in refurishing older buildings into condos, I have seen more art/culture, one street that I called the arm pit of Troy, I walk up every night even looks better now. Troy has a long way to go still, but is on the right track, I hope they keep it up.

On another note:
Otherwise, The capital district is still a good area as a whole, but has gotten much more expensive last 10 years. I think my generation, X/Y has left, as not to pay for the Depression era and Baby Boomers retirement and all the other crap in NYS. I See Fathers and Mothers both with good jobs, living paycheck to paycheck and doing everything right, not being able to support 2 kids. I'm just lucky I got ahead in life on the Depression era's wealth (Most of them saved money and made enough), things just seems to get worse as time goes on, we are going back to the 1900's as a society. No Middle class, health care for the rich, etc.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 26,594 times
Default what's wrong with troy

troy was and still is in many area's a interesting beauiful city. the reasons i moved out of troy were many... i 1st lived in south troy went to elem. school #12.. we all walked to school and even walked home for lunch.. busing came in the late 70's and that was the end of the small city feel for the school.... downtown was cleared for a mall and a new bridge was built tearing down the homes of the poorest people in troy... shipping them off to projects or south troy. the county jail was placed in south troy 2 blocks from the school... with this came a inflex of people from different areas nyc/albany/schen/ to rent apt.s close to their loved ones... i have moved from the area many years ago but still have a few family members who will not sell their family homes to move out of the area.. they are the weird ones who still sweep their sidewalks and plant flowers ect... i am so scared to walk and even drive thu south troy at this time..crack is everywhere... cops are few in the area as they mostly take care of the uptown people..i can say that every block has at least 2 or 3 crack houses on it... some are so sad to see a older person i knew who rents out a floor of they house to these people and are then so scared of them... most houses are rentals not one family..and not lived in by the owners.. i've seen whole blocks go from ok to live on to omg in a summer. family's from nyc will move into one apt and then hang out chasing the other family out of area.. to move in more of their gang... and i do mean gangs... troy has it's head in the sand thinking that gangs are not here... they are... the younger kids. look up to the gang thugs and want to join .... i'm very sorry to be so neg... but south troy needs help from the city... but the people in office only care to get the "artist crowd into a few good blocks in downtown area....

Old 01-06-2008, 10:58 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBird View Post
My wife & I and our 2 young kids (7mo & 3) are considering Upstate. Troy,NY appears to have beautiful architecture and a quaint small town kind of feel.

Yet on many of the upstate Albany area posts Troy seems to be mentioned as a place to avoid at all costs.

I haven't seen any posts which focused on Troy, so I wanted to see if any of you local area residents could give me the inside scoop:

Is Troy something other than it appears at first glance? It seems like a nice place. What specifically is wrong with Troy?

Thanks in advance.
Troy is so beautiful to look at. It is built on a hillside, has terrific architecture, and is an important place for American history. But.... it is scary downtown, whereas Schenectady and Albany are fun downtown. Sorry but I wouldn't flush myself down the Troylet if I were you. Downtown Schenectady and Albany are harmless though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area