Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 10:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,656,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Some states have also found that lengthening yellow lights by 1-2 seconds greatly decreased all accidents (which more cities would do if safety really was a concern).
One of the cities in the PHX metro area DID increase yellow lights, which reduced red light runners, thus reducing the revenue generated by the red light camera....and the camera manufacturer contacted the city and wanted to know what was going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,033,176 times
Exclamation The RED LIGHT CAMERA'S in ABQ

I was listening today to a radio talk show about this subject and I AM IN FAVORITE of the RED light camera's.....
The situation is out of control as when I venture to Abq I see too many person's run the light.

Just think; they could of hit another car and caused a fatality etc.

Some of those person's have had over 50 ticket's issued and still allowed to not pay any fine

Other states I know talk measure's to collect the fines or even prevent the offender from getting a new driver's lic.

Abq is due a lot of $$ and I feel that something must be done to "protect" other citizen's of what a "red" light speeder could do

Drive safe and slow at a intersection..

HW...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 PM

502 posts, read 1,385,010 times
I have several issues with the red light cameras. First being that if you look at the number of citations issued they obviously don't stop people from running red lights. If they did there would be few if any issued.
The second is that our judicial system is based on innocent until proven guilty. You have a right to confront your accusor and cross examine them. You loose that right when all that is offered is a picture of your license plate.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,633,899 times
Funny... I never see anyone run red lights... but then, I don't live in Abq.

I've heard that they actually increase accidents from people slamming on their brakes.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I've heard that they actually increase accidents from people slamming on their brakes.
But has also reduced deaths...

Old 02-21-2011, 11:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
I have several issues with the red light cameras.
Quote:
First being that if you look at the number of citations issued they obviously don't stop people from running red lights. If they did there would be few if any issued.
Fact, the number of citations issued have been reduced, the numbers of serious injuries have been reduced:
"a 23% decrease in Level 1 trauma calls at red-light camera enforced intersections."

"redlight violations being down by as much as 50-70% at the oldest red-light camera intersections"
Reference: Results of Red Light Camera Program - City of Albuquerque

Quote:
The second is that our judicial system is based on innocent until proven guilty. You have a right to confront your accusor and cross examine them. You loose that right when all that is offered is a picture of your license plate.
1. You mean the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution:
"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."
A traffic citation is not a criminal prosecution.

2. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege.

3. But you may request a hearing to contest your notice of violation. Got a Notice of Red Light Camera Violation? - City of Albuquerque

Rich

Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 AM

502 posts, read 1,385,010 times
"A traffic citation is not a criminal prosecution"
A citation is in fact a criminal prosecution, well it is a summons for prosecution. You can got to jail for a traffic citation, can you not?
The site you posted has some interesting figures. Not at all what was presented back when the state made it illegal to have the RLC's on state roads.
Thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,977,045 times
Are violations issued fro entering the intersection on a Yellow Light? Are they issued if the light turns Red while you are still in the intersection? Are violations only issued to people entering the intersection after the light turns Red?

I support issuing violations only under the last (entering through a red light) condition. The trafic violation that annoys me the most is drivers continuing to make protected left turns after the arrow turns red.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,695,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Are violations issued fro entering the intersection on a Yellow Light? Are they issued if the light turns Red while you are still in the intersection? Are violations only issued to people entering the intersection after the light turns Red?
To your first three questions: no, no, and yes.

I support the red light cameras. People running red lights here used to be a big problem. Drivers who were first in line at a red light sometimes had to wait several seconds after their light turned green because people just kept going through the intersection after the light turned red. It was ridiculous, not to mention dangerous. Sometimes 4 or 5 cars would go through after the light turned red (in my observation). My husband and I used to make a game out of counting how many cars ran the red lights. I don't see that kind of driving any more since the red light cameras have been in operation.

The one thing I would like to see is for our yellow lights to be slightly longer. They seem incredibly short at some intersections, and cars entering the intersection right when it turns yellow should have enough time to get through the entire intersection before it turns red.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,491,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
2. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege.
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque