Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:14 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,938,357 times

Advertisements

I feel that the OP's ideas are too focused outward on how the rest of the country perceives Albuquerque. I think the emphasis needs to be on making development that makes things better for people already living here. I'd like to see ways to help more people who are already here to achieve a more comfortable income. Somehow, when I see talk of Fortune 500 companies moving here, I wonder what percentage of those jobs would simply end up going to transplants. I'm more enthusiastic about locally based business, but maybe I'm just being unrealistic.

I feel as conflicted as some of the rest of you. On the one hand, I can't help wanting certain things here to improve according to my own standards, but I think it's true that if everything were as nice as I'd like it to be, this place would boom too much and I might be priced out (not to mention all those with less than I have who would suffer a lot more as a result of a rising COL).

(To work with the already established conceit, if she's my girl and I appreciate her appeal, why should I necessarily mind the fact that others might not be able to see past her glasses?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM

430 posts, read 1,651,267 times
I'm not saying Albuquerque be the next San Fran by any means lol don't get it twisted. But my point is, why good, when you can be great? Albuquerque is good "as is" now, but it just needs that "edge", it has all the inner core, and substance, now it just needs to be a little modernized, and possibly a pro-sports team, and I think it would truely be a city that seperates itself from the rest of the midsize cities.

It's like a burger, everybody can throw anything on a bun and throw lettuce and tomato on it, but what makes your burger unique? What makes it stand out from the rest. OH new mexico has green chili, new mexico does it this way, that's what makes us different, now we are talking unique, and have that certain "edge" on other cities, if u get my comparison.

Albuquerque just needs a little extra touch of what it's missing. Look at it this way, sure many females are pretty without make up, but imagine if some girls just wore a little bit? How much they would be living up to their potential? Albuquerque is beautiful right now, but just needs some touch ups, a little bit of "make up" lol make it stand out, make it shine, take off those glasses, and let albuquerque grow the city that seperates itself from the rest. I'm not saying blow up, but add trollys, maybe a sports team, gentrify the ghetto streets of albuquerque, and still keep population moderatly stable, u dont wanna blow up, u just wanna meet the cities standards.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:58 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
I'm not saying Albuquerque be the next San Fran by any means lol don't get it twisted. But my point is, why good, when you can be great? Albuquerque is good "as is" now, but it just needs that "edge", it has all the inner core, and substance, now it just needs to be a little modernized, and possibly a pro-sports team, and I think it would truely be a city that seperates itself from the rest of the midsize cities.
I think the absence of an "edge" is its edge.

The fact that it is a small city without a napoleon complex is a big reason why I wanted to move to ABQ a few years ago.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 PM

372 posts, read 711,916 times
Quote:
now it just needs to be a little modernized
Please define this.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:41 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,031,211 times
Quote:
Pro Sports teams require huge subsidies for the venues where they play. Not a good investment for government or the tax payers. Owners and players get rich. We have UNM. I don't want to see more gentrification. You can go to Denver, Dallas or Phoenix if a bigger city is what you desire. I like ABQ and it's unique already. Why do we want to be like everywhere america? If you can't accept Albuquerque for the city that it is, I think that you need to change cities or work toward the changes that you want. The city doesn't need to change for you. Albuquerque is a great city! Albuquerque isn't a Hub city and it will never be one. Accept it for what it is. If you want to live in a Hub city move there.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:19 PM

507 posts, read 2,062,188 times
gentrification - who needs that sh_t?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I feel that the OP's ideas are too focused outward on how the rest of the country perceives Albuquerque. I think the emphasis needs to be on making development that makes things better for people already living here. I'd like to see ways to help more people who are already here to achieve a more comfortable income.Somehow, when I see talk of Fortune 500 companies moving here, I wonder what percentage of those jobs would simply end up going to transplants.
Good Points!

Quote:
I'm more enthusiastic about locally based business, but maybe I'm just being unrealistic.
No, it doesn't have to be unrealistic. There are several neighborhoods in Albuquerque that are condusive to supporting small businesses, especially downtown. There are also many people with ideas whose seeds never get planted due to the inertia of the corporate mindset, which is really apathtetic. It doesn't have to be that way.

Quote:
I feel as conflicted as some of the rest of you. On the one hand, I can't help wanting certain things here to improve according to my own standards, but I think it's true that if everything were as nice as I'd like it to be, this place would boom too much and I might be priced out (not to mention all those with less than I have who would suffer a lot more as a result of a rising COL).

(To work with the already established conceit, if she's my girl and I appreciate her appeal, why should I necessarily mind the fact that others might not be able to see past her glasses?)
Yes, indeed I'd rather see Albuquerque grow and thrive on it's own merrits rather than keep up with the Jones'. Most would probably like a better and more thriving downtown, maybe even a streetcar/lightrail. But true enough then ABQ starts showing up on Forbes pages and would gain Portland type noteriety, thus increasing the cost of living. It's a catch 22 for sure. However I do think the city's lack of skyscrapers is probably keeping Albuquerque under the radar (just look at the obsession with skyscrapers on C-D threads). To the OP as far as a skyline is concerned, have you looked on the eastern horizon of the city? Hello? The Sandias paint a much prettier skyline than concrete and steel ever could. Also I think downtown's skyline being under the radar just might be contributing to the city's affordable quality of life that still exists, for now.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-29-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,997 times
Arrow No need for massive plans in a smaller city.

How about a more macro-economical look at this question? Where do the funds come from to get Albuquerque to its 'potential?' I know that, in general, East Coast states and coastline states tend to support Southwestern states in terms of funds for development. And right now, those sources of funding are drying up.

New Mexico and ABQ just do not have the population or income to support some kind of magical transformation. How many people would pay Major League prices to go to a game? How many people outside the city? Why would a Fortune 500 company relocate to a city where it would have trouble filling positions, not necessarily because NM candidates are less qualified but because there just isn't enough of a pool of candidates here.
Why build a skyscraper in a city where most houses are not even 2 stories?

A great deal of this is due to location. Most major cities with potential are port cities. Or, they are located strategically with respect to some kind of resource that people need. Or they have a lock on some kind of technology. Most often, they have several of these going at the same time.

Rather than these large, vanity projects, ABQ should concentrate on quality of life issues. Less crime, more community, more walk-ability in some areas and safer driving in others. Work on increasing overall civility and friendliness in the city. Keep working on the downtown area. Expand the pedestrian-mall.

Rather than a sky-scraper, just better planning on a city-wide scale. Keep doing the great job with water conservation. The rest is largely up to population, demographics and the flow of history.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:07 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,425,300 times
The main lures of Albuquerque are its mountains, mesas, sky and river, plus its people. These are not investments. Skyscrapers and developments like Uptown Abq are appealing, but not necessarily a high priority for improving the local scene.

I'm beginning to feel that the OP would like to reshape Albuquerque into something that isn't quite natural here.

The spirit of this area is extremely strong, and it isn't a spirit that can be bought. Sure, there's room for improvement. And, hopefully, it will come. But it cannot be bought or forced upon the folks whose families have lived here for many years.

Everyone wants a better Albuquerque. Just let it come at its own pace.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,768 times
Downtown is probably the biggest, most glaring weakness the city has now. However, it could be great with a little investment. I enjoy living there for the walkability and community, but I would love to see a more vibrant downtown with more residents, retail, restaurants open past 5(and on weekends), and an actual grocery store. An arena would be great but we're not in the economic climate for that kind of project right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque