Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
I vaguely remember all that street car stuff going
on ... I don't remember your name coming up.
Of course, your post contains an answer: "vaguely remember."

Haven't we already established the fact that getting older is not for the faint of heart?

Besides, just because I wasn't quoted at the meeting, doesn't
mean that my ideas weren't used and influential/decisive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye
Albuquerque will never live up to real cities.
Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
will never live up to real cities. I've been waiting on this city for over 20 years and everytime we think we are getting Nordstrom..well it never happens.
There is no Nordstrom? Barbaric! Seriously, without a Nordstrom, we are like a bunch of savages living in mud huts.

P.S. What is a Nordstrom? Is it a place to buy foreign made products that we will keep for a while and then dump into a landfill?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,660 times
Any news on the streetcar/lightrail line in ABQ?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer
A bus can run on dirt. A bus can run on the road the next block over.
Valid in theory, but it sounds like you're reaching...
That's because you are dazzled by the shiney metal rails.

Ever hear of utility line construction? You put a rail line down an old
street like Central. Later, you experience a water line break, can you
run the railcar on compacted dirt that the contractor could have put
up to run the Rapid Ride on? Can you run the railcar on the street the
next block over? Even the electric buses can do that. Sometimes it
helps to think beyond the end of your nose.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM

350 posts, read 768,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
That's because you are dazzled by the shiney metal rails.

Ever hear of utility line construction? You put a rail line down an old
street like Central. Later, you experience a water line break, can you
run the railcar on compacted dirt that the contractor could have put
up to run the Rapid Ride on? Can you run the railcar on the street the
next block over? Even the electric buses can do that. Sometimes it
helps to think beyond the end of your nose.

Sounds a bit extreme...and you're reaching again. Just because it happened in the recent past doesn't mean it's time to start fearing it will happen every other month. And it's certainly not a good reason for totally ditching the idea of rail car system. And how do we know a foundation enhancement wouldn't be part of the construction plan? We don't.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 PM

366 posts, read 869,452 times
The point is the benefit is all in the perception. When it comes down to it buses are more flexible. What if there is a SWAT situation? What if there is an accident? What if you want to close the street for a parade, bike rally, fall crawl, or shop and stroll?

I mean we can all appreciate the majesty of a Ferrari or Lamborghini or some such, but you aren't buying one of those because it is practical or a good investment or because it does things a normal car can't (legally). You are paying for the perception, the looks, the idea. A sedan, a trunk, a SUV, a minivan, depending on what you are doing is far more useful. You aren't piling your friends into a Ferrari or taking a camping trip to the Jemez or going up some driveways, etc. Of course even if the Ferrari is free you still have insurance cost, gas and maintenance on it that that will be astronomical compared to your other options.

A street car or light rail or what not is cool, but thats it. People already live on central because it is the easiest corridor to get around on without a car, a street car isn't going to change that (and may make it worse if they replace buses with it). Of course unlike the Ferrari example you are using other peoples money to build it and run it, so the cool factor suddenly gets a lot more compelling.

I could come up with some pretty good arguments for replacing my scooter with a Ferrari if all I had to pay was the gas.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:35 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,379 times
"Since 2001, when a tax for the rail line won approval, the area along the line has experienced $3.5 billion in private investment and about $1.5 billion in public investment, according to Phoenix’s Community and Economic Development Department."

A 20-mile light-rail line from central Phoenix to Mesa and Tempe Arizona which opened last December | New Urban Network

Show me a bus line that will do that.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 AM

372 posts, read 711,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
"Since 2001, when a tax for the rail line won approval, the area along the line has experienced $3.5 billion in private investment and about $1.5 billion in public investment, according to Phoenix’s Community and Economic Development Department."

A 20-mile light-rail line from central Phoenix to Mesa and Tempe Arizona which opened last December | New Urban Network

A rail line down central could spur some development, but a rail line within Albuquerque cannot be compared with this project. It is much more practical to use trains as opposed to buses to connect cities, but doing so is much different than transit inside of the city.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot the obvious questions...How much money was and is being spent in order to spur these investments? How were these investment amounts generated? Can we trust these amounts when they are reported on by the city that spent the money to build the rail line?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,768 times
Phoenix is not an isolated case. I would guess you would see the same results in other cities that have invested in rail in the last decade.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post

That rail line runs past high rise after high rise after high rise. There's more high-density downtown-style office space along one mile of that train's route than there is in the entirety of downtown Albuquerque.

Those buildings were valuable before it was ever installed, and they kept getting built higher and higher.

If you're ever going to build a high-rise in Phoenix, odds are it will be next to other high-rises. We'd see more high-rises going up next to the train but in otherwise isolated locations like along Camelback if the train had much of anything to do with it. I'm sure the train didn't hurt, but Phoenix's cornucopia of other reasons to invest probably played a far greater role.

If anyone remembers Albuquerque's Trolleys, (Molly, Ta-Molly, Guaca-Molly, etc.) they'll remember they were extremely popular with the tourists, but they were little more than overglorified buses with open windows. Combining that with BRT-capable speeds and perhaps dedicated rights-of-way where practical would be just as large a boost, if not larger, than the streetcar salesmen's most glorious dreams.

Anyone remember why they discontinued the trolleys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque