Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
I see no basis for this claim.
There was an article in the Albuquerque Journal about this.

I'll have to look, but I think I posted about this in another thread,
but yup ... the entire flow can be shut off. Based on the "new" (*)
flow rates of the Colorado, I think it's likely and people are going
to have to learn how to use less water. --- Good.

We can start now or have the taps go dry.
It can really happen.

(*) New? ... or a return to historic flow rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 04:46 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,383 times
heres some info on Abq Water supply

Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority - Source Water Quality Protection

Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x
heres some info on Abq Water supply
Very neat. Thanks for posting that.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 AM

136 posts, read 141,351 times
Default What's wrong with ABQ!

Okay, so you think Albuquerque is good but you somehow what to make it more "progressive", "modern", or somehow better. Why?!

It looks like you are looking are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. The problem is if Albuquerque becomes too "progressive" (somehow), that tends to attract shallow trendy people.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
I'm with you. ¡Vámonos!
Um, please no! There is plenty of activity down there on weekend nights, where all the bars, taxis, and drunks are.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 AM

Yes, very much agree, The bosque is a unique treasure and should be left alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
Riverwalk:

I think the ruggedness of the bosque is unique and should mostly be left alone if possible. And I think the idea of creating a traditional "riverwalk" might be far fetched. However, it might be possible to create a longer, commute-to-fun river trail system. This idea has a less urban-focused model, but I've seen it in action in places like Missoula, MT and Indianapolis, IN and it's great. I think we sort of have that now, but what if we took it a step further...

If you can create access points - say, for instance, the mostly blank ground space at the corner of Avenida de Cesar Chavez and the Paseo del Bosque trail - where people can park cars and put bikes on the trail and head out for day-rides or whatever, and then open coffee shops, cafes and other related businesses at those points, you might be able to create a functioning point-to-point pedestrian river trail system that offers lots of socially gratifying and family-friendly options. So, rather than having to find the trail, bike up it to some other road and then ride off on some street to a restaurant 10 blocks away, you just get your fix right on the river. Of course, if you wanted to, you could still ride off-trail to your favorite little cafe on Rio Grande or wherever.

The goofy shop/train station at Tingley is a poor example and doesn't really do the job, so I'm not tossing it into the mix. But we've already got the zoo, aquarium, bio park, botanical gardens, National Hispanic Cultural Center, Old Town, Rio Grande Nature Center, etc. all directly along the Paseo del Bosque system. Open up some northern, southern and central retail/food stopping points that integrate with the already present city road access and bike-friendly corridors off the trail and into the surrounding communities, and we could have a really unique, working model here.

I'd love to jump on my bike at the NHCC, ride up to my favorite on-the-trail bistro somewhere near Paseo, and then ride back. Maybe? I don't know. Sounds fun, anyway.

Whatever the case, I really like the bosque the way it is and would be fine if it just stayed that way. It's pretty amazing.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 AM

1. Perhaps you would be happier finding a city you would rather live instead of "waiting for a nordstrom" for 20 years (really!).
2. Why would anyone get on a plane to shop anywhere?--It doesn't make sense, if it can't be sourced locally somehow than order it online--am I missing something.
3. I can't stand the newish Q center. It is way too upmarket for my tastes and reeks of trendy overtones and is expensive. Fortunately, this city has plenty of Walmarts and dollar stores in every section since these types of stores sell affordable goods at affordable prices.
4. Crime seems to be typical for a city this size. You can log on to the ABQonline web site and check the stats.

You don't seem to fit in here, why not look for a better place to live, since you seem so unhappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
It's like your boyfriend being knocked by your girlfriends-Albuquerque
will never live up to real cities. I've been waiting on this city for over 20 years and everytime we think we are getting Nordstrom..well it never happens. Sad too, since many people here get on a plane to PHX, DEN, LAX, DFW just to shop! Weird too, being a native, I wanted that for the Q-BUT, we now have people that are very wary of the Californicators that drove up the prices in Santa Fe, Taos, and now the Q, AND they don't want the big city they just moved from. When we do get something "new" it's another
Dollar tree or Mattress firm. Commercial and residential Property crimes are
a big problem as well as vandalism, angry people that don't want change (and can't afford to shop there, eat there, etc) It's a shame, but probably an issue of demographics, culture, backward politics, lots of opposition on growth.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Actually, the Bosque does not need to be left alone, it needs a ridiculous amount of human intervention to restore it to anywhere close to what it should naturally be. i.e. the ongoing and intensive removal of invasive trees, the planting of native species and some kind of engineered system for periodically flooding, via dam releases, at least part of the flood plain which would involve the building of dozens of miles of levies. Otherwise, it will just continue to its inexorable march towards being a weed-choked tinder-box of a drain.

In my opinion, the Bosque is the most significant ruined 'natural' area in the whole middle Rio Grande Valley only exceeded by the over-grazed former grasslands.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In my opinion, the Bosque is the most significant ruined 'natural' area in the whole middle Rio Grande Valley only exceeded by the over-grazed former grasslands.
And if we hadn't ruined it, there probably would not be any 2nd and 4th street from the shifting river. Belen might still be a swamp or under water:

1941—The Rio Grande in flood near Belen, New Mexico. "We can hold her if we only get enough brush," said Fio Ortega while working on the levee. Cibola National Forest Historical Photographs / cib087.jpg

Rich

Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Down in LL and Belen in the 70's and early 80's, the Rio Grande river bed never had anything growing in like it does today. That's one of the things I can't get used to seeing since I moved back... it's all over grown with salt cedars and brush.

I guess annually there was a lot more water flowing thru the river down to Elephant Butte back then or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque