Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:28 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,979 times

Advertisements

A few posts up I noticed one from catrinac regarding Sephora. Yes, a Sephora just opened formally last week- Friday- I think. But it is not located in a new high priced mall, it is in Coronado Center. Close to Sears, at least in the general area.

I had read about this a few months ago; the location choice was not what I would have expected. My experience with the store is very limited, I have been to one in San Francisco and one in NYC (where they seem to be on every corner). Also in both those cities they are free standing stores. Considering that I would have guessed Uptown, kind of near Coldwater Creek.

For all I know though, maybe they are often in malls. Anyway, this one is definitely in Coronado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:28 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,519 times
What is it about crime in Abq that keeps popping up in so many posts? Are the metropolitan police departments understaffed? Underfunded? Ineffective? Sure there are going to be areas of heavier drug abuse thus more crime...but is it like that everywhere around the city and suburbs? Is random violence a big issue?

We are in escrow on a property in Placitas and all this talk of crime is a little alarming, since we'll be working and commuting and spending alot of time in the city.

Getting out of San Diego because its turning into a third world country here. So much of the city turning really nasty, rundown and dirty. Hundreds outside of the home center stores looking for work. We now print voting ballots in 30+ languages here because its so diverse. So far though crime is relatively low for such a big city. Hoping that what I'm reading about Abq is more steam blowing from those with a few bad experiences than the norm?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:29 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
What is it about crime in Abq that keeps popping up in so many posts? Are the metropolitan police departments understaffed? Underfunded? Ineffective? Sure there are going to be areas of heavier drug abuse thus more crime...but is it like that everywhere around the city and suburbs? Is random violence a big issue?

We are in escrow on a property in Placitas and all this talk of crime is a little alarming, since we'll be working and commuting and spending alot of time in the city.

Getting out of San Diego because its turning into a third world country here. So much of the city turning really nasty, rundown and dirty. Hundreds outside of the home center stores looking for work. We now print voting ballots in 30+ languages here because its so diverse. So far though crime is relatively low for such a big city. Hoping that what I'm reading about Abq is more steam blowing from those with a few bad experiences than the norm?

You asked if the metro police departents are understaffed-- well I know they are hiring as they have a certain goal of officers they want,there have been more than a few incidents where the cops are the thugs.

Random violence is not a big issue,everything is more related to drugs, gangs or domestic violence but I think thats how it goes in any city, lots of property crime here though. Every part of the city has crime but I would say its more concentrated in the Southern areas of the city.

I know people like to bring up crime and all that alot but compared to other cities I dont think we have it all that bad actually, ABQ may have a higher crime rate than San Diego though based on per capita but there are many smaller cities than ABQ that have more murders and so on like Tulsa,Birmingham,Little Rock,etc.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Quote:

You'll be fine. Don't buy into the hype.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Since Albuquerque isn't "about" vanity all the nicer malls and stores should be shut down at once; people can shop for all their clothes at Wal-Mart and K-Mart, since having nicer clothes shouldn't matter. All the better, higher quality salons should be shut down too. People can get their hair done at Super Cuts. All the better, higher end grocery stores should be shut down-- Smiths grocery or Wal Mart should work just fine. The nicer, higher quality restaurants including The Flying Star should be shut down... "down to earth" people should do just fine at Mc Donald's, Burger King, Dairy Queen, etc.

You can take your chicken McNuggets and go hike up at the foothills...where the rich people live, the people who are probably vain like me and wish Albuquerque was a little nicer town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
ABQ is not about vanity at all... never has been.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:57 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Wow... what are you talking about?

In comparison to every other town I've ever been in... from Europe to Califonia and over to Japan... ABQ has been the least obsessed with keeping up with the Jones'.

Yes, I don't think ABQ needs stores like Gucci or Burberry... they are not necessary... JCP and Dillards is expensive enough for this town.

I can't stand that people move here and want to change it right away... that's absurd. When a stray wolf wants to join a new pack, it must first show humility... then after contributing to the pack, it can begin to influence its community decisions.

I don't shop at Wal-mart (see:China). I don't shop at K-Mart... their mens clothing is actually more expensive than Target. I sure as heck don't think any less about the people that do... because.. here's the rub... most people in NM can only afford to shop at those places. I shop at JCP and when I have enough money for a nice button-down or some new chinos, I go to Dillards... the rest goes into savings.

Why would I be against Flying Star... hello... they are local!

Less is More.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Quote:

I live in the Northeast and stay home most nights and just hit up the neighborhood bars on occasion. The farthest south I go are Central, Downtown, and direct to the Sunport. I hang in Downtown only in the daytime. Living here since March, I've never had any issues beyond the odd incidents of staredowns and hand gestures from wannabe kids, which you'll find in any actual "city". (For a good example, I'm from Boise and it's no worse here than there. That says a LOT!) Really, though, with my work-n-home lifestyle I may not have sufficient experience to make me an authority on the frequency of bad elements around here.

My dad lived in Santa Fe for a while, and when I came here he warned me about crime in ABQ but added that it's very segregated. For the most part, it seems true. If you don't go looking for trouble, trouble won't find you.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,778 times
Quote:
What is it about crime in Abq that keeps popping up in so many posts? Are the metropolitan police departments understaffed? Underfunded? Ineffective? Sure there are going to be areas of heavier drug abuse thus more crime...but is it like that everywhere around the city and suburbs? Is random violence a big issue? ......

Hoping that what I'm reading about Abq is more steam blowing from those with a few bad experiences than the norm?
Trailtramp, I would suggest looking at FBI and other statistics on crime and deciding for yourself. Statistics also have issues, but individual perceptions are incredibly limited and biased. If someone has been here a while and hasn't been a victim of crime and doesn't know anyone who has, that person is likely to feel very safe. Personally, I do feel pretty safe, but, in the 20 years I've been here: I narrowly escaped a carjacking, my wife was involved in an intentional auto "bumping" scheme in which a few gang members tried to get money out of our insurance company, a friend of ours was hit by a stray bullet while walking out of a convenience store (she's okay now), the son of another friend was beaten senseless and left disabled because he unknowingly wore the wrong colors in the wrong city park. So...I tend to believe the statistics that suggest Albuquerque has more than "average" crime. So far, I've also chosen to continue living here because there are still a lot of things I like about Albuquerque. You need to be street savvy in any city. And, if you're fortunate, perhaps you will go many years without crossing paths with the wrong dude, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Trailtramp, I would suggest looking at FBI and other statistics on crime and deciding for yourself. Statistics also have issues, but individual perceptions are incredibly limited and biased. If someone has been here a while and hasn't been a victim of crime and doesn't know anyone who has, that person is likely to feel very safe. Personally, I do feel pretty safe, but, in the 20 years I've been here: I narrowly escaped a carjacking, my wife was involved in an intentional auto "bumping" scheme in which a few gang members tried to get money out of our insurance company, a friend of ours was hit by a stray bullet while walking out of a convenience store (she's okay now), the son of another friend was beaten senseless and left disabled because he unknowingly wore the wrong colors in the wrong city park. So...I tend to believe the statistics that suggest Albuquerque has more than "average" crime. So far, I've also chosen to continue living here because there are still a lot of things I like about Albuquerque. You need to be street savvy in any city. And, if you're fortunate, perhaps you will go many years without crossing paths with the wrong dude, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Ugh... yeah, my dad had heard about that stuff and was relaying it to me, and the local news on a daily basis definitely shows our area to have a lot of real sociopathic scumballs. Also, apparently ABQ is a favorite on Cops.

If one thing can come from my time here, it's this: If a secure neighborhood is worth it's weight in rent/mortgage to you, the far Northeast part of town seems to be a relatively safe area. In the same sense, I've heard Rio Rancho is unincorporated, which allows their police force to focus on that specific area. Someone else would have to tell you if they're spread as thin as ABQ, though. Rio Rancho grew up fast, but it still seems better than ABQ demographically.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:57 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Also, apparently ABQ is a favorite on Cops.
The producers of COPS came out and stated clearly many times that the only reason - the ONLY reason - they filmed so many times in ABQ was because the producers greatly enjoyed ABQ's weather / climate.

Seriously. That was it.

The footage obtained in ABQ could've been easily obtained in any other semi-biggish city in the US at any other night, 365 days.

That whole COPS thing gave so many non-informed (not saying that sarcastically, just saying that per fact) folks on ABQ a false impression. Is north Central Ave. at 2am the nicest / safest place in the world to be? Of course not. But I kind find areas like that on every 2am in Denver, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Boise, Toledo, Austin, Memphis, etc., etc., etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque