Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times

Advertisements

Yeah the guy at the liquor store recommended it since he knows I like Tito's (I can be chatty). I was skeptical because its pretty cheap, but it's good!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:39 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
The one that's a real good potato distillate imported from Poland at a decent price is Luksusowa.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:00 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
My favourite is Bison Grass Zubrowka, it has quite a different taste and goes well with apple juice. I also like Chopin for bloody marys.

Read the wiki on Zubrowka and had to shake my head at the FDA banning the sale because of coumarin, with all the other cr@p they do allow into the US diet banning a drink because of heptotoxic properties seems laughable, after all doesn't ALL alcohol damage the liver to more or lesser extent ? I'll get off my soapbox now, this is probably a subject for a different forum.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
As a former bartender, I defy anyone to tell the difference in a blind taste-test between a Bloody Mary made with Smirnov, and a Bloody Mary made with any "super-premium" vodka you like. The mixer is so strongly flavored it completely masks any tiny differences in taste or texture between the vodkas.

And if you like your Mary spicy? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So what is it? I prefer Polish Vodkas such as Chopin, Belvedere, Zubrowka, Sobieski, Wyborowa, Luksusowa and Ultimat. I believe that Vodka was born in Poland but that's for another thread. Just wondering if you sip your vodka with dinner and is there anyone out there that likes it straight up. Nowadays everyone is in love with these flavored vodkas.

I highly recommend Luksusowa Vodka. It is cheap vodka but everyone I have talked to says this is the best vodka they have had. People I know would rather spend 15 bucks for a bottle than spend 50 for Chopin.

Any other recommendations?

I have no idea about another vodka because i always drink Eristoff vodka.Try Eristoff vodka you will definitely like it,its my surety.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:40 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
Stolichnaya and Smirnoff. Very dirty martini. No flavored vodka for me.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
As a former bartender, I defy anyone to tell the difference in a blind taste-test between a Bloody Mary made with Smirnov, and a Bloody Mary made with any "super-premium" vodka you like. The mixer is so strongly flavored it completely masks any tiny differences in taste or texture between the vodkas.

And if you like your Mary spicy? Fuhgeddaboudit!
This.
It's a good thing the customers don't know that one way bars keep their pour costs down is by substituting well liquor for calls in mixed drinks. Order a Jack and Coke, if you're not sitting at the bar watching, you're probably getting well whiskey and you'll never know the difference.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:28 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
This.
It's a good thing the customers don't know that one way bars keep their pour costs down is by substituting well liquor for calls in mixed drinks. Order a Jack and Coke, if you're not sitting at the bar watching, you're probably getting well whiskey and you'll never know the difference.
That is a crappy bar that I would never go into again. That bar could lose its license. I have never substituted a lesser alcohol when a customer calls the booze by name. I would suggest upgrading your drinking establishments.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is a crappy bar that I would never go into again. That bar could lose its license. I have never substituted a lesser alcohol when a customer calls the booze by name. I would suggest upgrading your drinking establishments.
It's a LOT more common than you think, and it's a lot harder for a customer to detect than you think.

Matter of fact, I've posted here previously about how in my early days as a Rush Street bartender in Chicago I was taught many ways to "short" the customer, and taught that it was expected if I wanted to keep my job. And yeah, the bars I worked in were very popular and very busy.

I later matured into a life of personal integrity, but I still laugh when I look back at those early days, and think about how ridiculously easy it was to cheat the customer.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
My favourite is Bison Grass Zubrowka, it has quite a different taste and goes well with apple juice. I also like Chopin for bloody marys.

Read the wiki on Zubrowka and had to shake my head at the FDA banning the sale because of coumarin, with all the other cr@p they do allow into the US diet banning a drink because of heptotoxic properties seems laughable, after all doesn't ALL alcohol damage the liver to more or lesser extent ? I'll get off my soapbox now, this is probably a subject for a different forum.
Really?

Why not put a label on the bottle that says this product contains coumarin and may cause liver damage, etc.. How is that so different from selling alcohol and tobacco?

What a bunch of crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages