Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 05:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Why should colostrum be a household word? Are you suggesting that we milk animals that are still pregnant or recently (as in, 1-3 days ago) pregnant, to extract their colostrum and feed it to people? Or are you promoting adults breastfeeding on pregnant women or women in their first couple of days of motherhood? Or maybe you're confusing colostrum with something else. Cause, colostrum is the "first milk," the stuff that comes out of a pregnant female's breast, before she starts producing actual milk.

Edit: I'm seeing that there are actually products made out of bovine colostrum, such as certain specialty cheeses, and supplements, but I'm also thinking there are a lot of products a whole lot more practical, and easier to turn into supplements, to do the same thing without having to milk a new mother cow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I think alternative medicines definitely have a place for medical conditions.

I used to have severe gastrointestinal problems, and used peppermint oil to relieve cramping, and ginger oil for upset stomach. They worked much better than prescriptions. All of this was confirmed by my (Chinese) gastroenterologist.

What bugs me is those who are into AM and state that there are NO side effects if it's natural. If it is strong enough to fix or alleviate symptoms, then there are side effects.

Some should not be mixed with prescriptions, like cymbalta and St. John's Wort (risk of serotonin syndrome), and a lot, like fish oil can thin your blood, making you more prone to bleeding.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:43 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Two words:

Placebo Effect

This.

It's amazing how strong the placebo effect can be.

Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times

Because placebos rely upon the power of the mind, they are simply more effective than a lab made chemical combo AND they have no unwanted side-effects.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post

Because placebos rely upon the power of the mind, they are simply more effective than a lab made chemical combo AND they have no unwanted side-effects.
Well, except if you suffer from delusional psychosis and they switch your psych meds with sugar pills - not so effective.

Or if you have diabetes and they switch your insulin for salt-water...not effective. If they switch it for sugar water - could result in -serious- side effects, including sugar shock, and death.

How about taking a sugar pill to combat the effects of migraine?

Or maybe a nice saline solution to replace chemotherapy if you have breast cancer.

I'm thinking - no. Placebos don't do diddly, and the power of the mind has very little power over certain illnesses - especially mind-related illnesses (if the mind had that much power over them, then the mind wouldn't be sick in the first place)

Alternative medicines can be useful for certain things, and not for others. I wouldn't treat cancer with tea tree oil. But you can bet I'll be using it on cuts and scrapes.

I wouldn't treat psychosis with valerian root, but I wouldn't poo-poo it if offered to combat anxiety.

You won't see me trying to cure tonsilitis with peppermint oil, but it'll probably do wonders mixed with a bit of thyme oil and grain alcohol as an antisceptic mouthwash (which is probably why Listerine does exactly that).

Your dog doesn't know you're giving him alternative medicines - he only knows he feels less stressed when you add a couple drops of Bach Rescue Remedy in his water dish.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well, except if you suffer from delusional psychosis and they switch your psych meds with sugar pills - not so effective.

Or if you have diabetes and they switch your insulin for salt-water...not effective. If they switch it for sugar water - could result in -serious- side effects, including sugar shock, and death.

How about taking a sugar pill to combat the effects of migraine?

Or maybe a nice saline solution to replace chemotherapy if you have breast cancer.

I'm thinking - no. Placebos don't do diddly, and the power of the mind has very little power over certain illnesses - especially mind-related illnesses (if the mind had that much power over them, then the mind wouldn't be sick in the first place)

Alternative medicines can be useful for certain things, and not for others. I wouldn't treat cancer with tea tree oil. But you can bet I'll be using it on cuts and scrapes.

I wouldn't treat psychosis with valerian root, but I wouldn't poo-poo it if offered to combat anxiety.

You won't see me trying to cure tonsilitis with peppermint oil, but it'll probably do wonders mixed with a bit of thyme oil and grain alcohol as an antisceptic mouthwash (which is probably why Listerine does exactly that).

Your dog doesn't know you're giving him alternative medicines - he only knows he feels less stressed when you add a couple drops of Bach Rescue Remedy in his water dish.
Excellent post!

There are some treatments where alternative medicine is effective. There are also places where conventional medicine is needed. Some times the body needs rest and it will heal itself. There are so many varibles to the point that there is no one size fits all solution.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:29 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times
I haven't had the need to take any pharmaceuticals or go to an M.D for about 30 years (I am 60). I am in great health and hope to be until I am 90. I have used many types of alternative medicines. I do study the subject and also am very picky about the practitioners I use, e.g. herbs, body work, etc. There is no magic bullet and treatment for each individual is different. Unfortunately most of the knowledge about how to treat an individual has been lost. Even modern Chinese Medicine as being taught and practiced is a cook-book approach. But with the right knowledge and approach, it is possible to be very healthy using basic knowledge regarding food, exercise, relaxation, etc.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,568 times
Default I've proven a few work

D3 10,000 IUs daily. I used to get a cold or two per season, each 2 weeks of misery. Now in cold season I might get 1 or 2 mild symptoms that last for a few hours.

I ran out of COQ10, local stores wanted 5 times mail order price, but didn't need anything else, so put off the order. Physical showed triglycerides over 500, & over 200 is supposedly bad. Started taking COQ10 again, & next check with Dr. & my triglycerides were normal.

I have scoliosis & Boswellia works for my back pain.

I've tried many other things with inconclusive results. Best wishes, all!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:13 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I haven't had the need to take any pharmaceuticals or go to an M.D for about 30 years (I am 60). I am in great health and hope to be until I am 90. I have used many types of alternative medicines. I do study the subject and also am very picky about the practitioners I use, e.g. herbs, body work, etc. There is no magic bullet and treatment for each individual is different. Unfortunately most of the knowledge about how to treat an individual has been lost. Even modern Chinese Medicine as being taught and practiced is a cook-book approach. But with the right knowledge and approach, it is possible to be very healthy using basic knowledge regarding food, exercise, relaxation, etc.
This has been my approach to wellness also. My first instinct is to "do no harm" to myself and I've found some prescribed medications were simply too strong, and the side effects too dangerous/annoying to make that approach my first treatment plan.

I've found that often, diet, a supplement, eating more or less of one food type, increasing my yoga or exercise, exposure to sunshine and fresh air, can correct 90% of my minor ailments. And a good night's sleep works wonders. And stress is so harmful. My Mom used to say, "It's nothing that two weeks in Hawaii wouldn't cure."

But Western medicine has its place, too. Without a diagnostic blood test, I wouldn't have known that my Vitamin D levels were low, that my potassium levels were low--but that my LDL, HDL, triglycerides, CRP, and glucose were terrific!

A mix and match wellness method seems best for me.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
My opinion about alternative medicine?
Alternative, granola, and hogwash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine