Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:09 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I have been to Brazil both to Rio and Fortaleza and my feeling is I could live in certain parts of Brazil under certain conditions like not rely on local job market and be in specific areas. A small city in the northeast would be alright. Rio or Sao Paulo forget it.
Maybe the question is too general.
For example I would not live in just any part of Canada.
For example if I have to choose between living in White Horse or the entire middle of Canada... a major city in Brazil would seem like a more interesting option as I would rather die in the process of doing something exciting then to literally be bored to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 03:23 PM

827 posts, read 865,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Maybe the question is too general.
For example I would not live in just any part of Canada.
For example if I have to choose between living in White Horse or the entire middle of Canada... a major city in Brazil would seem like a more interesting option as I would rather die in the process of doing something exciting then to literally be bored to death.
That's a good point. Sometimes the development of a place is not enough to judge if it's better. It depends on what each person is looking for.

Example: i'd rather live in a middle-high class area of a brazilian metro than in a small town in the north of Norway. The small town has significantly better HDI, GDP per capita, is totally safe, but i just wouldn't be happy there so isolated (also the climate doesn't help).

And now i'll compare two metros, to be fairer. A brazilian metro with 0.750 HDI and high crime rate vs. a metro with 0.900 HDI and very low crime rate in Saudi Arabia. Even with these advantages i'd rather keep living here, because their laws are almost medieval.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:07 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
If you are coming from a place like Louisiana where crimes rates are high and hurricanes wipe out cities... then Brazil might seen like a pretty sweet deal.
Or if you are coming from somewhere cold, or if you are coming from somewhere autocratic, or if you are coming from somewhere with a high cost of living, or if you enjoy the beach among other reasons...

Old 11-16-2017, 06:39 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
You guys are right that it also depends on which cities we are looking at. Would I rather live in New York City than Sao Paulo? Hell yeah. Would I rather live in Miami than Sao Paulo? That's more debatable. Would I rather live in Buffalo, Tulsa, Kansas City, Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Winnipeg, Edmonton, than in Sao Paulo? Hell no. Give me Sao Paulo anyday over Detroit or Tulsa. Even if you drop it down to cities like Belo Horizonte or Porto Alegre I would still much rather live there than Detroit

Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I wouldn't mind living in Sao Paulo (if I was running a business or developing a professional career) or in the small town these guys visited after visiting Sao Paulo.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Definitely the town of Gramado (appears in the second part of the video in my previous post) is charming enough for me to live there.

Wow, that place looks amazing! Its like Germany with Portuguese language and some palm trees. lol

https://goo.gl/maps/nX5kwhD17XJ2

https://goo.gl/maps/a4YUeHEaoFo

https://goo.gl/maps/9Zjvy8g2Hn32

https://goo.gl/maps/uSLMx4XfXpK2

https://goo.gl/maps/jCiauaE8TTA2

Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
I moved to Brazil from France and despite liking here i answered no. I live in São Paulo which is a city that feels less 3rd world. It has everything one can desire and i use public transportation everyday. Still if could choose i would pick Santiago Chile as i find it to be the best city to live in South America

Old 11-18-2017, 01:01 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I moved to Brazil from France and despite liking here i answered no. I live in São Paulo which is a city that feels less 3rd world. It has everything one can desire and i use public transportation everyday. Still if could choose i would pick Santiago Chile as i find it to be the best city to live in South America
That's interesting. In 1997, I moved to Santiago, Chile...and found it quite dull and boring and uninteresting, and moved to Sao Paulo for a lot more excitement, and I got exactly that.

Granted, in 2017, I am a different person, and Santiago is a different place as well...but interesting you mentioned two cities that I have a past connection with in South America.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:44 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
I've lived in some places in Latin America before and didn't think it felt third world. Chile definitely doesn't feel third world, you can drink water straight from the tap and the plumbing is solid compared to the rest of Latin America. I don't if you can call it a "developed country" just yet, but it's definitely on the verge. Lima also has many neighborhoods that feel first world

Old 11-19-2017, 05:59 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Sure, if you want to die of boredom. Santiago works for the 50+ but give me Brazil any day above Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas