Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times

Advertisements

Demographically speaking, it seem like the U.S. and Brazil are the most diverse countries in the world. While there is diversity in other countries as well it seems like the influence that minorities or other ethnicities that come to both of these countries is like no other. It influences the music, food, culture, lifestyle, etc. Anyone else agree?

Also, I think Canada is very diverse as well, but not on the same level as the U.S. and Brazil.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:25 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
I agree. I can't imagine other places as diverse as the USA and Brazil.

In the case of Brazil, we have the original mixing of the Portuguese, the Amerindians (natives) and the Black Africans, and also the late immigrants from Italy, Germany and Japan (Brazil received more than a 250 thousand Japanese immigrants - a quarter of a million).

In Brazil the mixing is not only "cultural" but also in genetics. People from different backgrounds and origins exchanged not only their cultures but also their DNA, in a massive extent.

England and France also received lots of foreign people, but I think those countries are not as diverse as USA and Brazil.

There are other places in Latin America that are very diverse too: Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago, but those are small countries.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
big cities in the uk are really diverse also

Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
big cities in the uk are really diverse also
Yeah but with the exception of London, I don't think you will find other cities in the U.K. that are as diverse as places like Chicago, L.A., San Francisco, Miami, D.C., Bahia, Fortaleza, Brasilia, etc.

However by far, the U.K. is probably the most diverse country in Europe.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
In some ways, yes.

However, I think there are some countries that are more diverse in other ways. Indians in the US tend to be thought of as a single group, but India is host to so many different cultures, languages, and religions in large proportions within the population.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
These are the most diverse countries in the world and are all very diverse:

USA
Canada
England/UK
France
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand

I think Brazil would fall into this category instead:

Countries that are not the most diverse countries in the world but still have some diversity and probably plenty of diversity:

Germany
Brazil
Japan
China
Thailand
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Netherlands
South Korea
Switzerland

Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
These are the most diverse countries in the world and are all very diverse:

USA
Canada
England/UK
France
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand

I think Brazil would fall into this category instead:

Countries that are not the most diverse countries in the world but still have some diversity and probably plenty of diversity:

Germany
Brazil
Japan
China
Thailand
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Netherlands
South Korea
Switzerland
Based on what? I have a hard time to comprehending that Brazil is less diverse than New Zealand and Australia. Brazil has a mix of Europeans, Asians, indigenous people and African descendents. New Zealand and Australia have Europeans, Asians, and Indigenous. Barely any African descent on top that barely anyone from Latin America. They are diverse, but I have hard time thinking that it is more diverse than Brazil.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Based on what? I have a hard time to comprehending that Brazil is less diverse than New Zealand and Australia. Brazil has a mix of Europeans, Asians, indigenous people and African descendents. New Zealand and Australia have Europeans, Asians, and Indigenous. Barely any African descent on top that barely anyone from Latin America. They are diverse, but I have hard time thinking that it is more diverse than Brazil.
Based on briefly reading about those countries diversity statistics before and some of the cities in all of those countries.

I still think Australia and New Zealand are a notch up in diversity compared to Brazil.

Also, I said Brazil still has some diversity and even plenty of diversity, just not quite "one of the most diverse countries in the world."

Old 06-06-2011, 02:44 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Yeah but with the exception of London, I don't think you will find other cities in the U.K. that are as diverse as places like Chicago, L.A., San Francisco, Miami, D.C., Bahia, Fortaleza, Brasilia, etc.

However by far, the U.K. is probably the most diverse country in Europe.
cities like birmingham, leeds, glasgow, manchester and liverpool are pretty diverse

Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I think Israel should be included on a list of very diverse countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas