Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 12:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times

Advertisements

Edit.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
=aab7855;56250753It´s cool though that you shared what you did, much appreciated. I for one didn´t recognize a lot of that, so it´s fascinating to read to be honest. Kind of reminds me of my wife trying to understand some of my friends from pueblos in Puerto Rico... she often did not!

Mass media has really changed the game in terms of our comprehension of things. That Southwest Barrio Spanish probably doesn´t get any airtime, so it can be cryptic to outsiders. The way Puerto Ricans outside of SJ talk, I mean really talk when they´re comfortable and with family and friends, can also be very difficult for outsiders to understand. It´d be cool if one day even communities such as those start making telenovelas or other shows that could broadcast all over the Hispanophone world, that would be a game changer.

Until that happens, varieties like Mexico City and Bogotá Spanish will generally be better understood thanks to the media. A very slang-heavy show with Paisa Spanish is "Lady, La Vendedora de Rosa$"..anyone trying to better understand that Medellín street Spanish should watch it. Not a bad show, though better when all the characters are still kids...their older "replacements" weren´t as good.
They made a show out of the movie? i have the original movie on dvd. IS the show any good?

Old 09-24-2019, 02:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
They made a show out of the movie? i have the original movie on dvd. IS the show any good?
I thought it was. Back in July my wife and I were watching it every night, until the show switched gears and the characters changed to show them supposedly several years later...the actors weren´t nearly as good as these young kids who were cast for the first dozen or so episodes.

I think the series was originally exclusive to Netflix and was actually filmed in something like 2014, but RCN purchased the rights to it and "premiered" it this year on their network. It has a late-night slot (I think like 10-11 PM) because it´s kind of heavy to show during prime time hours. I really think that the young Lady Tabares (Michell Orozco) did an amazing job, she was something like 13 when the series was produced. She´s only 18 or 19 right now and I have a feeling we´ll be seeing a lot more of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gapHMch53Zs

Old 09-24-2019, 04:55 PM

Cool. Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to look that up.

I was watching interviews with some of the actors from the movie a while back. Some of them aren't doing so well.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:06 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
It´d be cool if one day even communities such as those start making telenovelas or other shows that could broadcast all over the Hispanophone world, that would be a game changer.
With Netflix making shows all over the world, it could happen.
Quote:
A more extreme but equally relevant example is that of Arabic. Many of the dialects are NOT mutually intelligible, e. But can a Yemeni and a Moroccan understand each other speaking their respective dialects? Not likely.
You mean they can't understand eachother at all? Is that because the structure of the grammar is different?

Old 09-24-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
I struggle to follow her
Are you a native speaker of Spanish?

Old 09-24-2019, 07:46 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
With Netflix making shows all over the world, it could happen.

You mean they can't understand eachother at all? Is that because the structure of the grammar is different?
For some reason, Arabic branches off A LOT from region to region. Everything changes. Moroccan for example is supposed to take all kinds of words and grammatical structure from Berber, French, maybe even Spanish but I´m not sure on that one. Gulf Arabic I believe is more closely related to Classical Arabic, which for outsiders helps to read and interpret the Quran but not much else. Those are just two examples of many. If you buy Rosetta Stone you learn Modern Standard Arabic, which pretty much everyone can understand, but in various countries where one travels, people may only feel comfortable answering in their dialect, so the traveler will be lost on many responses.

"Dialectal Arabic, on the other hand, is the informal language that Arabs use to communicate in their daily lives. The basics of the language are fundamentally the same, yet Arabic dialects are not mutually intelligible because each Arab country has its own dialect."

https://etoninstitute.com/blog/langu...rabic-dialects

It´s almost to the point of how all these variations of Chinese all called "dialects" even though, let´s be honest, they´re different languages. Someone who only speaks Mandarin isn´t going to necessarily understand, say, Cantonese just because.

I don´t want to downplay the differences in Spanish, but when you look at situations like these, I think we have it pretty good...we typically can understand each other and go all over the Hispanophone world with no problem.

Even English is getting to be more divided, because so many hundreds of millions of non-native speakers (well, billions really) are learning it now and often the "correct" way to speak it is heard less and less because there isn´t necessarily a good level of modeling applied to it and people are out there speaking it with one another as their 2nd language. The same errors of grammar, syntax, pronunciation, etc often just get reinforced with no native speakers around. Just last week I was supervising a Model UN activity at another high school, and the committee was in English...well those kids called it "cah-mety", almost like "comedy" over and over again, the word peaceful became "pacific", protesters were called Protestants, the presidents tried to keep their delegates f***-used instead of focused, etc. etc. This will become normal in societies trying to integrate English into their lives without proper checks and balances.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:09 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Are you a native speaker of Spanish?
Yes, I am...

I can fully get that part of the audio now.
The first words still sound a bit obscure. "Llorando como un... ehh... muy feo" appears to me like "?o?ando com'un'e muy feo". The unknown consonants could be l/r (soft 'r') and g/m respectively: "logando comune", "lomando comune" or "rogando comune".

The "con sus padres" clause was much clearear, but somehow I couldn't understand it before. Maybe, it's due to the expression looking odd to me, hence it's harder to predict the blurry sections. Did the man ask for "la casa del buen hijo" (literally) or he mentioned the name, and the woman added the rest? Why did she mention his parents later? Did 'the good son/child' live with his parents? Was he good with his parents? What is the relevance of this? The whole sentence looks very confusing to me.

Indeed, these audios aren't that easy to fully understand to me.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Yes, I am...
To be honest, I kinda doubt that. You're having too much difficulty with this clip, and you write English like a native speaker of American english.

The part that's confusing you: the woman is starting to tell a story. It's probably an old cuento, but she doesn't remember how it goes. So, as soon as she starts it, she gives up, saying she doesn't remember.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:57 PM

aab: real interesting about Arabic. I didn't know that. The Chinese I kinda knew about. My friends/coworkers have told me about "Shanghai-ese" and each city has its own dialect and people from other cities can't understand it. I wonder if the grammatical structure is different or if it's just a matter of individual words (nouns, verbs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas