Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,737,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
It links to Lady Gaga. What a complete waste of time (what am I saying? I'm on the C-D forum....).
GaGa for governor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,396,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
I looked into hear eyes during that speech and what I saw wasn't a brain freeze, it was fear. She's trying to stand up to powerful forces and I'm worried that one of the cartels has gotten to her or her family.
Stars, I hope you are kidding, but in case you're serious:

The cartels haven't "gotten to" Brewer. They know they have nothing to fear from her.

The Pearce-Arpaio-Brewer team isn't targeting the cartels with SB 1070. I wish to God they were.

If and when SB 1070 takes full effect, the cops in AZ will not have time to pursue armed criminals. They will have their hands full, arresting gardeners and motel maids, housing them awhile in private for-profit jails, then tossing them back into the borderland killing fields, so the coyotes and Zetistas can take another bite out of them.

If anything, the smugglers and their allies are probably rooting for Brewer. She represents job security for them.

Last edited by Gurbie; 09-04-2010 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-04-2010, 10:54 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,751,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInScottsdale View Post
It was only 4 to 5 years ago when our economy was booming on the inflated home prices and easy mortgages that the big boys in home construction were sending their subs down close to the border in vans and mini buses to bring the desired cheap labor up to the valley. Anyone that actually worked residential construction during this time will tell you all about the 4-5 man work team where only 1 spoke English and could translate for the rest. But as soon as the economy turned, these workers became undesireables and "needed to go home". **

**(according to Ms Brewer and her ilk--- beheadings of course were optional)
Very interesting, Bill . . .

However, I do not believe anyone is giving a free pass to the less than ethical, extremely ruthless and greedy employers who padded their own pockets with huge profits primarily by using Slave, aka: ILLEGAL, Labor.

Each and every Employer of Illegals deserves serious jail time as well as major fines but "living in the past" and ignoring the problem is not the solution.

Governor Brewer is taking positive steps to fix the problem and move forward in spite of the BS from Washington which is a far cry from the performance of Janet Napolitano and Terry Goddard.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,235,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
If anything, the smugglers and their allies are probably rooting for Brewer. She represents job security for them.
Having their mules busted is not exactly good for business and hardly contributes to job security.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,185,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
Wow, some of you people are really quick to release the hounds on her, and the slightest little hickup. Again, SHE IS HUMAN. Nobody is perfect. She does this every single waking moment of her life, and have been politicking for the better part of her life.

Every politician has a teleprompter, so when they do an interview like this, it all has to come from memory and wittiness.

It is amazing how 1 person bashes her because she shows the least bit of human emotion, and then the rest of you jump on the bandwagon. She has does great things for this state, so how can yall be so hateful? Have you ever had a bad day at work? How would you like to have a forum bash on you because you made a mistake?
She had lots and lots of time to prepare for the STATEMENT AT THE DEBATE, and went completely brain-dead when she was supposed to be sharp. This is not about an interview or flubbing an offhand question or a spoonerism...this was showtime and she didn't show up. Got it?
Jeez, is there anything she could do that you wouldn't defend?
Didn't think so.....

Old 09-05-2010, 02:03 PM

260 posts, read 512,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
She had lots and lots of time to prepare for the STATEMENT AT THE DEBATE, and went completely brain-dead when she was supposed to be sharp. This is not about an interview or flubbing an offhand question or a spoonerism...this was showtime and she didn't show up. Got it?
Jeez, is there anything she could do that you wouldn't defend?
Didn't think so.....
In my opinion she did not go completely brain-dead, like it was reported by the media. It is normal to take a pause, and sometime a pause could be longer, it is not a disaster.This was not an interview, and maybe she did not think it was show. However as I wrote before, it is also possible, that she just eat something bad, or something was put in her drink?
And there is nothing to defend here, it is not something
that need defending.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:24 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,647,750 times
I am Democrat but have voted for a republican when I thought that person was the better candidate....however I really do not think Brewer is the answer to AZ's problems. Things have gotten worse for our state real quick since shes been in office.
She stated somewhere that the reason things are bad with her is because "she inherited a mess from Napolitano"...well, if thats true NOW she knows how President Obama feels!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,647,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInScottsdale View Post
8 years of inept greed in governing can't be fixed in 18 months. But let's just question heritage and birthplace to distract from the issues that the previous guy dumped--and not in the litter pan.

Jan Brewer for however likeable she is (with her foul mouth) is pretty much on the IQ level of G.W.B. I will never understand why people are intimidated by intelligence but feel totally at ease with a leader who is "not smarter than a 5th Grader"
Or in this state, maybe I do...
Well, I would LOVE to know what she is doing to brings jobs to AZ instead of scaring people away and making us look like we live in the 1800's with total lawlessness and thievery the norm.
Another debate is what I want to see but she doesn't have anything to bring to the table except going after illegal workers and supporting Sherrif Joe in rounding up people in libraries...other than SB1070 what else has she done?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
I'll bet the partners at Snell are thrilled with her.
At over $450 an hour I am sure they are. I doubt most voters have any idea about the amount of money she is paying Snell and Wilmer to back her up when she spouts off something stupid...

But I guess a "rich state" like AZ can afford to throw money away on lawyers at the Governor's whim...

Old 09-06-2010, 02:13 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,330,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
She may have looked confused in her opening remarks, but she went on to show she is not confused on what this election is about and what she has to do to win. It's the illegals, stupid, to paraphrase Clinton. Goddard can claim all the triumphs he wants, but until folks can go to Walmart and not feel like they just woke up in Mexico, no one is going to listen to him.
The "going to Walmart and feeling like you are in Mexico" was occurring when the economy was strong too yet you didn't hear the same anti-illegal rhetoric then you have over the past 2 years. The reason is people need to use the illegals as a scapegoat for their problems. The reason there aren't jobs isn't due to illegals, that has to do with the housing crash and the outsourcing of jobs by American executives. We need to stop making them the scapegoat. It's astonishing how racist our society has become due to the poor economy. Now this isn't to justify not increasing border security but there is a lot of racism involved too that needs to end. I've heard weak arguments about cultural assimilation suggesting people aren't American if they don't act White.

Lastly, many of those Mexicans you see at Walmart are here LEGALLY! Just because they speak Spanish and are not blonde and blue-eyed don't assume they are illegals. We do live in Arizona after all not Arkansas, there are such things as Hispanic American citizens and yes, many of them speak with accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona