Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:11 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times

Advertisements

It's halfway between Phoenix and Tucson.

Decades

A Phoenix-based investment team said today it wants to build a 240-acre rock 'n' roll theme park in Pinal County intended to rival Orlando's Disney World complex and the Busch Gardens amusement parks across the country.

The $800 million project, which is proposed to include a luxury hotel and retail space, would be known as Decades Music Theme Park. One of the consultants for the project was a project manager of Disney's Epcot Center.

The park would be located in Eloy, with roller coasters and other rock-themed rides divided into sections associated with music through the decades, starting in the 1950s.

Rock 'n' roll theme park proposed for Eloy (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 05:31 PM

343 posts, read 552,595 times
I've seen proposed developments come through the Eloy area before. The last one was to create a recreational lake called Picacho where the reservoir sits. It never got support as time went on, probably because of money and/or politics. I would be very surprised if this gets passed. Wait and see, because it will take many years to find out.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Remember "The Wooz"? You can still see remnants of that along I-10. Here's a few of the biggest flops in Arizona.....

What were they thinking?

I could see an amusement park working in Eloy. There's going to be a lot of growth in Pinal County up and down the I-10 corridor. Tucson is going to continue to grow, especially toward the northwest. Phoenix will continue to expand into Pinal County. Eloy would be halfway between Phoenix and Tucson and near the junction of I-10 and I-8 so it could get people from California. You have a market with millions of people and the closest amusement park is in California. I've been in Dallas at Six Flags during the summer and it was just as hot as Arizona plus it had higher humidity. Misting systems and shade would be more effective here. The rides don't get hot when they are sitting in the shade. I've been at Six Flags Great America in Chicago when we sweated so much that we never dried out during the entire day. Same thing at Six Flags in St. Louis. The weather during the rest of the year is always better in Arizona compared to those places.

I don't think you can compare the failures from twenty years ago to current Arizona. There's so many more people now than there used to be and there's only going to be more. It's easy to laugh about Eloy right now, but I don't think people will be laughing ten years from now.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Remember "The Wooz"? You can still see remnants of that along I-10. Here's a few of the biggest flops in Arizona.....

What were they thinking?

I could see an amusement park working in Eloy. There's going to be a lot of growth in Pinal County up and down the I-10 corridor. Tucson is going to continue to grow, especially toward the northwest. Phoenix will continue to expand into Pinal County. Eloy would be halfway between Phoenix and Tucson and near the junction of I-10 and I-8 so it could get people from California. You have a market with millions of people and the closest amusement park is in California. I've been in Dallas at Six Flags during the summer and it was just as hot as Arizona plus it had higher humidity. Misting systems and shade would be more effective here. The rides don't get hot when they are sitting in the shade. I've been at Six Flags Great America in Chicago when we sweated so much that we never dried out during the entire day. Same thing at Six Flags in St. Louis. The weather during the rest of the year is always better in Arizona compared to those places.

I don't think you can compare the failures from twenty years ago to current Arizona. There's so many more people now than there used to be and there's only going to be more. It's easy to laugh about Eloy right now, but I don't think people will be laughing ten years from now.
He-he, you reminded me of this little gem:

The THING

I'd imagine it's still functioning... for whoever is dumb enough or bored enough to check it out... No offense anybody - I have! With this "abundance" of entertainment, you can even be tempted by "The Thing!"

Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
He-he, you reminded me of this little gem:

The THING

I'd imagine it's still functioning... for whoever is dumb enough or bored enough to check it out... No offense anybody - I have! With this "abundance" of entertainment, you can even be tempted by "The Thing!"
I can't think of a better way to spend a dollar between Tucson and Las Cruces.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:26 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,165 times
I heard about this on the radio today. I think that once the Waveyard thing gets going, we'll see more entertainment venues built here...at least I hope so.

Not sure about the whole Rock n Roll theme. I'd love it, but it seems like it'd be playing toward a specific clientel. Or maybe they'll just throw in a Barry Manilow tea cup ride, and a Mel Torme roller coaster for those non-rock-n-rollers

Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,807 times
Quote:
Remember "The Wooz"? You can still see remnants of that along I-10.
I always wondered what that was when I lived in Tucson! Thanks for filling me in BillyBaroo. I personally always thought it was kind of eerie looking, sitting out in the desert, especially those little tower cage things. I don't live in AZ anymore, but alas my question has finally been answered

Old 11-09-2007, 07:26 PM

371 posts, read 1,008,575 times
Quote:

What were they thinking?

Sorry but the worst day at Disney in Orlando or Six Flags anywhere won't even be close to almost 4 straight months of 100+ degree HELL...at least with humidity you are not BAKING in the sun...plus imagine how HOT outdoor seats will be anywhere.

If they are stupid enough to go forward this it will FLOP like no other just because of the SUPER NASTY almost 8 month long summers in AZ...this is a guaranteed flop! Let's not forget how FUGLY the Eloy area is too...

Old 11-10-2007, 11:53 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Sorry but the worst day at Disney in Orlando or Six Flags anywhere won't even be close to almost 4 straight months of 100+ degree HELL...at least with humidity you are not BAKING in the sun...plus imagine how HOT outdoor seats will be anywhere.

If they are stupid enough to go forward this it will FLOP like no other just because of the SUPER NASTY almost 8 month long summers in AZ...this is a guaranteed flop! Let's not forget how FUGLY the Eloy area is too...
I don't think the looks of the area matter that much as long as the place is conveniently located between Phoenix and Tucson. The Renaissance Festival by Apache Junction (it's open for only a few months, but the buildings are permanent) does pretty well. Even though it's a lot closer to Phoenix, Tucsonans go, too. I personally believe it can do well even if it's open all year round, but the staff moves from state to state performing at other festivals.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 47,780 times
Default Too Hot in AZ for a Theme Park?

I am an organizer with the Decades Team.

To answer your question on the heat, the we are giving this very careful consideration in the design of the theme park. Approximately 70% of the rides and attractions will be indoor dark rides or water rides. We also will design Decades with plenty of shading features, water features and indoor cue lines to keep the audience cool. This will be a modern design built for the Arizona climate. There will be ample opportunity to get out of the heat, get hydrated and stay entertained!

The location was chosen in Eloy due to the long-term population trends and the strong transportation backbone. The site is located on an existing municipal airport that can be expanded to 6,500 feet. It is also surrounded by major access roads that are laid out well to permit circumfrential traffic patterns, avoiding major traffic bottlenecks

As for the rest of the comments within this thread, we appreciate the healthy skepticism. It is a very large project proposal and it is difficult to fully understand the theming, design and vision behind it from a single press release. I encourage you all to keep an open mind.

We are a home grown local group with a genuine desire to bring something cool to the state. Marty West, the designer of the park, was born and raised in AZ.

We are currently scheduling a Public Speaking series to bring the park to you. We can send a speaker with our full presentation to your civic organization meeting or even to a your living room for all your neighbors to hear! Just e-mail me and we can get your group on our schedule

BigD

Last edited by BigDMTP; 11-10-2007 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Font/Formatting Issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona