Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 10:17 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre correct about the Mojave rattler, it is more dangerous than the western diamondbacks, but not nearly as plentiful (thank goodness). However, no rattlensnakes are aggressive, but rather defensive. The aggressor would be the one pestering the snake and throwing dirt on it. And when a rattler rattles and coils up in defensive posture, its still not being aggressive, just defensive. Alot of people get the two confused.
We encountered a mojave green on a dirt road near Bagdad, and when I revved the engine and beeped the horn, it still didn't move. And what about the heat from the motor? Anyway, threw some pebbles and it finally moved across the road, but became very indignant when I took some photos. It may have had some bad experiences with the paparazzi in the past, I dunno. The guys and gals at my local BLM office said that I couldn't have seen this snake in November, so I broke out the pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
We encountered a mojave green on a dirt road near Bagdad, and when I revved the engine and beeped the horn, it still didn't move. And what about the heat from the motor?
You realize, of course, that snakes don't have ears, right?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
You realize, of course, that snakes don't have ears, right?
Good one. I really thought that revving the motor would get some response, but beeping the horn was more a joke than anything else. I also hollered, "Hey buddy, haven't you heard of crosswalks?", but I guess that fell on no ears also.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
We encountered a mojave green on a dirt road near Bagdad, and when I revved the engine and beeped the horn, it still didn't move. And what about the heat from the motor? Anyway, threw some pebbles and it finally moved across the road, but became very indignant when I took some photos. It may have had some bad experiences with the paparazzi in the past, I dunno. The guys and gals at my local BLM office said that I couldn't have seen this snake in November, so I broke out the pictures.
As Rick Lee stated, snakes dont have ears, so therefore wont even know if you revved up or honked the horn. They do pick up vibrations through their jaws, which kind of acts like their ears I suppose. Anyways, thanks for moving the snake, most people would purposefully swerve at it and make it roadkill. One more thing, if it was cold out (which it seems like it was if it was sitting still on the road-- sunning itself or using the stored heat in the road to warm itself), revving the engine might actually attract it since its giving off heat. Many people in AZ have found snakes in their engines, etc, as the snake will often coil up in there to get some heat.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:15 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Last month we had a young man bitten by a rattlesnake up in Vistancia. He was running past some bushes and it got him.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Last month we had a young man bitten by a rattlesnake up in Vistancia. He was running past some bushes and it got him.
I remember a few years back I was up hiking Mummy Mountain, and there was a family with their 2 little girls (Im guessing about 8 years old or so) who they were letting run around at will, climbing the rocks. I couldnt believe it. Its like, seriously people, youre deep in rattlesnake country, you cant just run around at will, youre playing with fire and youre bound to get burnt. When Im out in the desert, its step-by-step, eyes constantly peeled, every bush is inspected before we pass. Its painstakingly slow, but its not time to eff around.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:17 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I live near-by her and work for the Sheriff's Office and I put out the media release on the incident. She was unconcious within five minutes of the bite and dead within half an hour...and it happened on her own property. So people do occasionally die from snake bite, but it is rare.

There are quite a few rattler bites each year...usually people who are mucking around with the snakes or squatting down to pee behind a bush. Very embarrasing but never fatal. The point is...in most cases if you leave the rattler alone it will leave you alone. Never pee on their heads
The clinical description of the typical rattlesnake bite victim who shows up for medical attention begins with "intoxicated male..."

Old 04-08-2008, 02:24 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I remember a few years back I was up hiking Mummy Mountain, and there was a family with their 2 little girls (Im guessing about 8 years old or so) who they were letting run around at will, climbing the rocks. I couldnt believe it. Its like, seriously people, youre deep in rattlesnake country, you cant just run around at will, youre playing with fire and youre bound to get burnt. When Im out in the desert, its step-by-step, eyes constantly peeled, every bush is inspected before we pass. Its painstakingly slow, but its not time to eff around.
I agree with you regarding careless people. We watch in amazement as kids here run through bushes and climb up the rocks on the walking trail. Yesterday, I saw this fellow going through the bushes looking for a .50 cent tennis ball. Gadzooks, let it go.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Talking Ponderosa, you are totally correct!

The snake bite victims are usually young and intoxicated, or just plain dumb.

However, Steve-O and others, snakes can "hear"...with their tongues. They sense vibrations, footsteps, etc, so I would guess that a revving engine or such other noises would annoy them to a great degree.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
The snake bite victims are usually young and intoxicated, or just plain dumb.

However, Steve-O and others, snakes can "hear"...with their tongues. They sense vibrations, footsteps, etc, so I would guess that a revving engine or such other noises would annoy them to a great degree.
They sense smell/taste with their tongues, not hearing. They pick up the vibrations through their jaws, which would, if anything, be their "ears".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona