Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the idea of a Disney type park in AZ
yes yes yes 55 49.11%
no 41 36.61%
maybe 16 14.29%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Casa Grande is half way between Phoenix (4+ million) and Tuscon (1+ million) - within an hour of each. Not getting your point.

I would bet the biggest factors in choosing Casa Grande were this central location between two metros, cheap land and easy access (two Interstate highways nearby). Although, if they don't upgrade I-10, it won't be such easy access!
I was responding to someone else who was supporting it being built in a place like Flag or Williams which would be at least 2 hours and too far AWAY from a major metro area. They were saying that a lot of these big places are in the middle of nowhere and I was stating that that is actually not true, that they are pretty much all within an hour or so's drive from a major metro. You need to have a major airport within an hour or so for these places to work and attract sufficient out of state and international tourists (Sky Harbor would be less than an hour for sure. More like 45 minutes). In other, I think Casa Grande makes a lot of sense being between two major metros (plus easy access off I-8 too for people from San Diego if they wanted to drive this way). Agree on the I-10 upgrades needed, though. It should be 3 lanes each way from Phoenix all the way to Casa Grande if they want to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:54 AM

576 posts, read 830,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I was responding to someone else who was supporting it being built in a place like Flag or Williams which would be at least 2 hours and too far AWAY from a major metro area. They were saying that a lot of these big places are in the middle of nowhere and I was stating that that is actually not true, that they are pretty much all within an hour or so's drive from a major metro. You need to have a major airport within an hour or so for these places to work and attract sufficient out of state and international tourists (Sky Harbor would be less than an hour for sure. More like 45 minutes). In other, I think Casa Grande makes a lot of sense being between two major metros (plus easy access off I-8 too for people from San Diego if they wanted to drive this way). Agree on the I-10 upgrades needed, though. It should be 3 lanes each way from Phoenix all the way to Casa Grande if they want to do this.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:04 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
when Disney World opened in the early 1970s, it was somewhat remote....Orlando, perhaps 30 miles away, had about 90,000 population and the Tampa metro was about 70 miles away......but it had the "Disney" name and mystique.....

still bothered by this "Dreamport Villages" name.....vague and strange.....that alone will confuse and turn some people away, I fear

Old 08-16-2017, 10:51 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Unanimous approval of both the zoning changes and the tax rebate agreement. A final reading in a couple of weeks and then they can start working on much more detailed site plans and approvals with ADOT etc. for interchanges - some of which have already occurred.

Once the second reading is official the developers plan on starting some more actual marketing - an official website etc.

Still holding to a late 2020 "soft opening" of the indoor water park and 300 room hotel - followed within 6 months or so for the remainder of the Phase I items listed above.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:36 PM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Unanimous approval of both the zoning changes and the tax rebate agreement. A final reading in a couple of weeks and then they can start working on much more detailed site plans and approvals with ADOT etc. for interchanges - some of which have already occurred.

Once the second reading is official the developers plan on starting some more actual marketing - an official website etc.

Still holding to a late 2020 "soft opening" of the indoor water park and 300 room hotel - followed within 6 months or so for the remainder of the Phase I items listed above.
Good stuff, thanks. I tried to watch the council meeting last night online, but got to that portion of the meeting too late.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Good stuff, thanks. I tried to watch the council meeting last night online, but got to that portion of the meeting too late.
Well - if you are really interested at how the vote was arrived upon - the meetings are available on the city website.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:40 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,509 times
Is there any information on when the plans will be tentatively finalized/ready for construction?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:47 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Aug 18, 2017...Casa Grande's city council approves a plan for a new theme park to open 2019...

Theme park resort villages approved for development near Phoenix

Old 08-19-2017, 01:11 AM

770 posts, read 836,740 times
This will never get built and will be added to the long list of pipe dream amusement parks over the years.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:35 AM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
This will never get built and will be added to the long list of pipe dream amusement parks over the years.
Care to share why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona