Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Arizona: crossroads, cost of living, downtown, traffic, retirement.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

I'm ready to face the Arizona firing squad and hope you will either help me decide on a good place for me to relocate to in Arizona, or just put me out of my misery.

I've lived in L.A. my entire life and worked 40 years as an electronic engineer. I had to live here because that's where my work is. I'm within 0-4 years of retiring, and no longer needing work I see no reason to live in the US's version of Gomorrah, or maybe it's Sodom. Really, okay, L.A. is an okay place to work, but I see no reason to remain here after my career is over.

I've been to AZ many times, I've camped in AZ countless times mostly around the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, the Mogollon rim. Arizona is one of the most spectacular states in America and has the single best, most unique attraction in the world: the Grand Canyon. No argument that Arizona is a very pretty state, and personally I love the desert.

Okay now the problem:

I'm trying to find the right place in Arizona for me. I'm a bit of a disposition to not like the cold. Also, I'm an amateur chef and I want a town with good supermarkets (like Trader Joe's), and I want to live in a pretty part of AZ. Here's the places I've visited with a mind to moving there, and please excuse my negatives. I mean no slight to any of these places, but I have to tell you what I didn't like so you can send me to a place that I might like.

Flagstaff: Too cold, I hate the idea of facing frequent snow in the winter. And, I'm not thrilled with the ambiance of Flag. That section of Flag where 17 crosses 40 and joins with 89 is the pits. I've driven around Flag and never found a part I like.

Sedona: Sort of nice but I'm kidding myself that I could afford to live here.

Prescott: Actually surprisingly nice and I almost liked it, maybe just slightly too small, but I was put off that I didn't see anything pretty about the surrounding countryside. Honestly Phoenix is prettier to me. Prescott was my "almost" good enough.

Kingman: Truck stop, too small, too hot (summer) probably too cold (winter).

Apache Junction: I thought I would like it from the Internet. Went there. Okay Superstition Mountain is great. But the city had the ambiance of Palmdale and Lancaster here in Los Angeles. Trailer trash land with sand. I probably missed the city center but the part I saw on my way to camping at Apache Lake decided me to forget about Apache Junction.

Winslow: Heh, I remember the Eagles' song "Take it Easy." Winslow is a crossroads in the desert. Who'd want to live there?

Tucson: I drove through once and don't really remember much because I didn't stop here. I visited Saguaro National Park (both sections) and loved it. I didn't go downtown, nor did I stay overnight. I went on to Chiricahua National Monument instead. I've heard that Tucson is very hot in summer, has a crime problem, and the city downtown is dirty and dusty, with a bad traffic problem. And a crime problem. (Are these true?)

Phoenix
: I've visited PHX many times over the years, and I particularly like Scottsdale (who wouldn't?). I'm continually attracted to the city and I love the geography, those mesas freak me out! But time and time again the temperature puts me off. I just don't think I'd like it with mid-summer nighttime temperatures sometimes never going below 100. This appears to be a deal breaker.

Cave Creek and Carefree: Well I just like the idea of being on the north end. closer to my camping spots in northern AZ, UT and beyond. I've never been to CC and Carefree, except passing by on 17, but I doubt the temperatures would be much different than PHX.

Payson
??? Seems like a small town, probably too small for me. Haven't seen Payson yet.

Did I forget any significant areas or locales?

---------------

Okay the above are my thoughts about where to live in AZ. I'm sure you can see that I've tried hard to give most of the towns and cities in AZ at least a visit and tried to see what was nice about these places.

This is just my OP and I'm sure I can focus it better in follow-ups. What I'd like from you my Arizona friends is to give me a healthy dose of reality and help me decide where in Arizona I would fit in. My biggest problem is that all the places are either too big, too small, too hot, too cold, or just not interesting enough. Honestly Prescott was my favorite but I just don't see the beauty of the lands around there. Much of AZ is prettier IMO than Prescott.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer. Please tell me where I would be happy.

Regards,

Greg/Lovehound

Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
If money were no object, I would go with Sedona. Because it's an issue though, if I were you, given what you just said in your post, I would live in Tucson-- not "Tucson, Tucson," but either Oro Valley or the Catalina Foothills-- the northern and northwest suburbs of Tucson. Oro Valley is a beautiful upscale suburb, and it actually reminds me a lot of "West Sedona" (along highway 89A west of the T). You'll have your Trader Joes covered, you'll have all the conveniences you want, beautiful scenery with the Catalina Mountains nearby, and a dramatically better climate than Phoenix. I can't emphasize enough how much more comfortable Tucson is than Phoenix. During the monsoon season it's a day and night difference-- Tucson gets tons of rain (it actually gets around 12 inches of rain a year, so it's not even technically a desert) and it often cools down into highs in the 80s and 90s, and even 70s at night, whereas Phoenix is still stuck in the upper 100s. During the rest of the year daytime highs are a couple of degrees cooler on average, but it cools down much more at night. You can actually see the stars in Tucson. The main problem with Tucson is there's not much of an economy down there, but if you are retired then that won't matter. Tucson has a really unique feel and vibe; there's really nothing in Phoenix that compares, IMO. So it's either Tucson or I will have to shoot you, as you said.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:51 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Good one, Greg . . .

I was in a similar position a few years ago and after weighing all of the positives and negatives . . . TUCSON WON.

Not too big yet big enough for fun and entertainment. Not nearly as crowded and unbearably hot in the Summer as the Phoenix area with lots less traffic and LA type congestion.

Also, not nearly as expensive and touristy as Sedona plus, once again, better weather overall.

Have I helped any or just made matters worse?

Good Luck!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:55 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
If money were no object, I would go with Sedona. Because it's an issue though, if I were you, given what you just said in your post, I would live in Tucson-- not "Tucson, Tucson," but either Oro Valley or the Catalina Foothills-- the northern and northwest suburbs of Tucson. Oro Valley is a beautiful upscale suburb, and it actually reminds me a lot of "West Sedona" (along highway 89A west of the T). You'll have your Trader Joes covered, you'll have all the conveniences you want, beautiful scenery with the Catalina Mountains nearby, and a dramatically better climate than Phoenix. I can't emphasize enough how much more comfortable Tucson is than Phoenix. During the monsoon season it's a day and night difference-- Tucson gets tons of rain (it actually gets around 12 inches of rain a year, so it's not even technically a desert) and it often cools down into highs in the 80s and 90s, and even 70s at night, whereas Phoenix is still stuck in the upper 100s. During the rest of the year daytime highs are a couple of degrees cooler on average, but it cools down much more at night. You can actually see the stars in Tucson. The main problem with Tucson is there's not much of an economy down there, but if you are retired then that won't matter. Tucson has a really unique feel and vibe; there's really nothing in Phoenix that compares, IMO. So it's either Tucson or I will have to shoot you, as you said.

This was an excellent post, and I'd definitely take this advice if I was the OP.

Cave Creek is nice and I worked up there for a while when I used to live in Arizona. Way to expensive though in my opinion, you'll find much more affordable living in the areas VP suggested. There are affordable areas near Phoenix as well, but many parts of Tucson and surrounding areas are still cheaper.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:19 PM

158 posts, read 403,629 times
Well, here goes... I was born and raised (30 years) in San Diego. I left there and moved to Prescott 18 years ago. I have also lived in Scottsdale. Many SoCal transplants share your pain... lol. Those who stay, just run to the valley (Phx/Scottdale) for our shopping and cultural needs. Over all Prescott is a nice place to live, most people love the weather, too dry for me though. I am ready to move to Oregon coast. If you don't have to work, Prescott is a great place. Scottsdale too is awesome! just aweful 4 to 5 months out of the year... hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I grew up in Northridge! Way back when there was a farm across the street on Louise Ave.
Anyhoo, we moved from CA and landed in north Peoria. We find this city to be very clean, the stores numerous and the neighborhoods very decent. We moved up to Vistancia. You can find a very affordable home up here with all the short sales, foreclosures and builders trying to finish up their tour. The ammenities are awesome. Arizona Real Estate - Vistancia - Peoria AZ - Master plan Community.
Westwing is another very nice development up here.
If you want age restricted, then Trilogy across the street is where I would buy. New Home Builder - Welcome to Shea Homes! Caring Since 1881. There is also a new development by Shea Homes down in Queen Creek. It is one of the nicest golf course developments we have visited. Ecantera by Shea Homes. Good hunting.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,966 times
Since you don't want to live in a cold area this Arizona Climate Zones map might be interesting.

Map of Arizona Plant Climate Zones (http://cals.arizona.edu/gardening/climate/azonemap.html - broken link)

Old 05-06-2008, 10:34 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Oro Valley is your place. Maybe a tad hot, but not as bad as Phoenix for sure and prettier than anything in or near Scottsdale by a long shot. I wouldn't be concerned about crime in OV. Failing that, I'd look to Albuquerque where you can find a decent size city with the amenities you want and not have to deal with the heat of Phoenix. Winters are colder but the sunshine is endless there too. The area surrounding Alb is dreadful (on the west side anyway) but it is very close to some really nice terrain.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:37 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,909 times
I know Green Valley - just south of Tucson - is a big retirement area. When we were looking for a house we went down there only to find that most are only for people age 55+. It was kind of a bummer because the prices were lower and there were some very nice neighborhoods. The only thing is there's not many businesses and the ones that are there seem to close at like 6 pm.

I've also heard that Sierra Vista's nice and apparently a little cooler than Tucson d/t its elevation. I haven't personally been there, though so I can't speak to what the town's like.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I don't normally promote Tucson as it is not the best place for me (what I look for is way different, though), but it does look like a suitable place for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona