Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times

Advertisements

Hmm.. I think it's whether politicians believe that the "benefits" of kicking out illegals outweigh the "drawbacks" - Texas hasn't been hit severely by the recession. AFAIK Arizona has.

Good politicians act in the interest of the state as a whole. If the state is healthier by keeping some illegals versus kicking all of them out, then what will the politicians choose? Likewise I think Arizona has something that makes the act of keeping illegals more damaging than kicking some of them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy2 View Post
No, I think it depends on whether the politicians in the state have the guts to enforce the immigration laws. The politicians in Calif. don't have the guts. They are running scared because the hispanic population here is huge. I can't wait to get out of here.
Sassy: Texas is very much a part of the USA too. It has people on both sides of the political spectrum. And what about the Native Americans in New Mexico? Aren't they Americans too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Truth?

Because Arizona still is a part of the USA; culturally speaking, and still has the courage to stand up to a bunch of PC traitors------who would gladly sell out Americans in favor of a bunch of illegal alien criminals from Mexico, etc.

Remember too there are quite a few people here from California who left that state due in part to its cowardly lack of law enforcement--------and, will not stand for Az being taken over without firing a (metaphorical) shot.

Last edited by Vicman; 05-01-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 05:14 PM

I'm not sure if it's necessarily being smarter as maybe illegal immigration was doing more damage to Arizona than to other states. Also perhaps a higher concentration of political conservatism is part of it.

I like the idea of having a group of officers being both federal and local, because if immigration policies can be used as a ruse to catch people committing other crimes (or to increase severity of punishments of people doing DUIs, etc) I'm for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
BECAUSE we were smarter - we were the FIRST to pass the employers sanctions law - which is now being modeled by other states.

One Sheriff was the FIRST in the nation to have his officers sworn as Federal officers so they could enforce immigration laws - a move now being followed by other jurisdictions around the country.

And so on.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
How about going after employers first, sheriff? These tough guys can rough up the kindergarteners, but are scared to their political death of the "Chamber".
Why do people expect employers to do the feddle gummitt's job?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Why do people expect employers to do the feddle gummitt's job?
If hiring illegals carries stiff penalties, and/or if employers are forced to pay the same in wages to people (legal or illegal), then there is no incentive to hire illegals.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:58 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
If hiring illegals carries stiff penalties, and/or if employers are forced to pay the same in wages to people (legal or illegal), then there is no incentive to hire illegals.
If the feds kept them out then employers couldn't hire them.

Employers are not part of the immigration service or federal government.

Personally, I could care less if illegals come here. I just wish people would stop blaming private citizens for problems that are caused by the feddle gummit.

And I've worked with plenty of illegals. They get the same benefits as citizens.

I guess it is easier to make a private citizen a criminal than to actually hold politicians accountable.

Why not make the penalties for the illegals so stiff that they won't come here. Makes more sense than punishing American citizens for the feds failures.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 PM

If they got the same benefits as citizens, then they would:
* Be able to vote
* Be able to use the Social Security system (yes, illegals do contribute Social Security money)
* Be able to stay in the country after committing a DUI or another serious crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
And I've worked with plenty of illegals. They get the same benefits as citizens.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
If they got the same benefits as citizens, then they would:
* Be able to vote
* Be able to use the Social Security system (yes, illegals do contribute Social Security money)
* Be able to stay in the country after committing a DUI or another serious crime
Some have illegally registered to vote.

Some steal others identity (SSN) while others (a majority) do NOT pay into SSN - they are paid under the table or cash (day labor)

If you are in this country illegally (a crime), and commit another crime, you get deported - BYE, BYE

Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 PM

1. I would imagine there are some illegals out there who try to register to vote, but what studies/sources say this is a significant problem? I would imagine that personal history checks lead to arrests of the illegals who think they can illegally register to vote.

2. Yes, stealing SSNs happens. That doesn't mean the illegals get the benefits paid to them. It's just a cover they use so they can get jobs, etc.

For those who are paid under the table, that is traced to the employer, so it is his/her fault.

3. That's right.

Have you heard about the Ashley Benton case? There was a Houston girl who stabbed a boy named Gabriel Granillo to death during a gang fight. Granillo's dad was an illegal. He had opportunities to get amnesty, but never bothered. Then he was exposed after a DUI and deported. This lead to his son getting into trouble, and ultimately to his son's death at the hands of Ashley Benton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Some have illegally registered to vote.

Some steal others identity (SSN) while others (a majority) do NOT pay into SSN - they are paid under the table or cash (day labor)

If you are in this country illegally (a crime), and commit another crime, you get deported - BYE, BYE

Old 05-01-2009, 07:07 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Absolutely, Vicman . . . however, that is not typical.

Most employers of illegals pay considerably less with few, if any, benefits mainly because they feel comfortable most illegals will not "drop a dime" on their employer. This practice creates a very unlevel playing field in that industry and rewards the unscrupulous employer plus the underpaid illegals add to the welfare and assistance rolls all while NOT contributing their fair share in taxes.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
1. I would imagine there are some illegals out there who try to register to vote, but what studies/sources say this is a significant problem? I would imagine that personal history checks lead to arrests of the illegals who think they can illegally register to vote.
There are no "personal history checks" in Arizona. You can register, and vote, the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona