Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Really? Name them.
A few that I remember are:

Albertsons
Dairy Queen
Office Depot
Whataburger
Nashville
Blockbuster Video
Cappello's
Roadrunner (and its numerous reincarnations)
Rod's Nursery
Home Style Furniture

Plus a half dozen Chinese food restaurants that couldn't make it. Two large employers shut their doors: Frontier Call Center and Ford Proving Grounds (Yucca). WalMart has yet to follow through on its plans for the distribution center outside of town.

The boarded-up storefronts in downtown Kingman are not conducive to attracting shoppers to the area. As the COC has stated over and over, Kingman is a place that people STOP, not STAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Office Depot shut down EVERYWHERE.

The closure of Ford Proving Grounds has been coming since 2006. GM closed their proving grounds in MESA (and sold off the last of it two years ago). That closure had nothing to do with any problem with Kingman (or Lake Havasu or Yucca).

Old 05-26-2009, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Office Depot shut down EVERYWHERE.

The closure of Ford Proving Grounds has been coming since 2006. GM closed their proving grounds in MESA (and sold off the last of it two years ago). That closure had nothing to do with any problem with Kingman (or Lake Havasu or Yucca).
And this changes what?

The post was about closings, not the reason(s) for them.

About 30 jobs were lost when Whataburger closed. Not great jobs, but still...

Old 05-26-2009, 03:15 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,475,542 times
Well I will sit back and watch this play out............

Old 05-26-2009, 03:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGuy View Post
And this changes what?

The post was about closings, not the reason(s) for them.

About 30 jobs were lost when Whataburger closed. Not great jobs, but still...
Perhaps I misread the implication of your post, as to whether the businesses closing and the resulting loss of jobs were because Kingman is a bad place to live or do business, or were among the things resulting in Kingman being a bad place to live. (a "chicken or the egg" situation).

Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Ok, RiverGuy listed 10 business that have gone out of business in the last few years in Kingman. Well here are 12 new business that have opened in the same timeframe, off the top of my head. For whatever that's supposed to prove.

Safeway
Chuys
Starbucks
The wine bar
New BBQ place downtown
Oyster's Mexican Seafood
Subway (Hualapai Mtn Rd)
Senor Taco
Walgreens (under construction)
Medcath Medical (under construction)
Car Wash
Chinese Restaurant (Kino Ave)

I would also like to point out that Office Depot and Blockbuster are in trouble at the national level. Blockbuster's business model is obsolete, and Office Depot can't compete with Amazon (plus they stupidly located in the same mall as Staples.)

Ford Proving Ground is now Chrysler Proving Ground. They are reopening the steel mill in town.

That's it for me. I now return the program to the "haters" out there. You know who you are. Carry on, please.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Baloney. 110F summer and 9F winter? When have you ever seen temperatures like that? 35 -50 MPH winds? Yeah, maybe during a storm. Steady state? Don't think so. Here's the weather.com windspeed forecast for the next 10 days: 10 Day Weather Forecast for Kingman, AZ - weather.com . Winds are predicted to be between 10 and 16 MPH. Temp, low 90's. THAT is a perfect climate.

Kingman doesn't want business here? Almost all of my neighbors own their own businesses. Funny, they don't seem to have any problems here. Evidently the OP moved into town thinking he was going to get a hand-out. THAT doesn't happen. There are license and impact fees, just like anywhere else in the country. "Rednecks,Tweekers, theives and the Gangsters and extorsionists that run the city". Give me a break.

I stand behind what I said. That post was nothing but hot air and BS.
kdog:

Kingman indeed has a weird vibe----------which is not all bad (at least for me).

As for the weather: check out this link..............it also includes record highs and lows:

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Kingman, Arizona, United States of America

PS: if I were not in a relationship and was able to secure a job that paid wages similar to either BHC or LHC----------I would seriously consider moving back to the Kingman area.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
kdog:
As for the weather: check out this link..............it also includes record highs and lows:
I'm fully aware that the RECORD HIGH for kingman is 111F, and the RECORD LOWS have gotten to the single digits. That means it's happened exactly ONCE in history, maybe twice. It is by no means, way, shape or form, NORMAL, which was implied in the referenced thread. It is a complete lie and fabrication to make any such suggestion.

Sheesh.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:26 PM

34 posts, read 91,002 times
Point of fact - Homestyle Furniture didn't close - it moved to the beautifully renovated Central Commercial build in in Downtown Kingman. And Redneck's is the name of the BBQ place downtown (which isn't really new, they catered extensively previously). And I walk Beale Street downtown every Saturday morning and while some of the stores aren't always open, I wouldn't call them "boarded up".

Kingman is what is. And by the way, I think the original post was HILARIOUS! Things like that are one of the reasons I like Kingman - you never know what you are going to see!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,059 times
Can you tell me if the proposed development the WalMart Distribution Center has been indefinitely postponed? Have they even broken ground yet? Thanks - SC, Phx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona