Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,202,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
if you believed a city the size of Little Rock would have entertainment and shopping on the SCALE of cities the size of Houston and Dallas you were sadly naive.

"little to zero entertainment" on the other hand? come on. just because you hung out with people who were afraid to venture west of I-430 and patronize establishments other than Chili's doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people here finding plenty of fun things to do.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience here, and I'm glad you've found someplace you like. but your perception of Little Rock is obviously colored by that experience, and trying to paint the entire city as if that is the case for everyone is erroneous. you should at least be honest.
I found his --opinion-- to be honest.

( he also mentioned Tulsa besides Houston and Dallas )

Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,902,779 times
I consider myself a fairly open-minded person, and I refuse to attack someone based on their opinions. Your opinions are just that - opinions. Please refrain from asserting your opinions as superior of those of another individual. I am a heterosexual Christian with conservative/libertarian political views, but for the sake of community and seeking the goals of this website, I will not assert my personal preferences and morals as standards everyone must abide by. On the other hand, thank you for displaying the homophobia and closed-mindedness that is common in the area - it provides some insight for potential future Fort Smithians.

Unintended irony. (Calling some people homophobic and closed-minded, extending that to an attack on the entire city {"common in the area"}--when three sentences previously, "I refuse to attack someone based on their opinions."

Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,953,663 times
I've found Fort Smith to be a pleasant and beautiful city with nice people. Good, bad, and just plain "meh" exist everywhere. It's what you make of a city, not what you want the city to do for you. If you need to be "entertained" 24/7 and don't have it within yourself to enjoy the bounty of wonderful things that a place like Fort Smith/Northwest Arkansas offer, then the problem more than likely lies with you and not the city that you "think" is lacking.

Want to go to a world-class concert concert venue? The BOK Center in Tulsa is only a short few hours away. And I'm sure that Little Rock has its own share of great concerts, restaurants, festivals, and so on. Personally, I'd LOVE to be able to live and work in NW Arkansas, it's beautiful there.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 AM

837 posts, read 2,250,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I found his --opinion-- to be honest.
but it is not honest to state opinion as if it is fact.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 PM

9 posts, read 21,266 times
Edjarhead, I cautiously laugh hysterically at your description of Fort Butthole, although I've found Little Rock isn't anything to brag about, either. I liked your summary, "they really think they've got something here" I used to run a franchised business operation in FS for three years and have quite a few stories about the employees working for me. Most of them were passive-A types, the typical; lie, cheat and steal behaviour. It comes as no surprise that so many of the manufacturing positions in FS are being shed. It just seems like there was a real lack of "humanity" throughout that city. I consider myself fortunate having not been pulled over by the FSPD, because I have also heard similar stories. One of the few redeeming positions, however, is the lack of water fluoridation. As many others have already pointed out, I think you will find that sodium fluoride is mostly harmful to all animals, based on my research. I can tell you from my experience in plumbing that you are better off drinking non-fluoridated bottle water, or buying a reverse osmosis unit for your drinking water. I wish you the best on your G.O.O.D. in the future.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,956,726 times
Default Fort Smith is not conservative it is Radical.

I live in Fort Smith. To say that Fort Smith is conservative would be a huge understatement. I have lived in a lot of cities and I generally reside in the center, politically. I have met people here, who on the outside would appear to normal people, but then you start talking to them and they begin talking about wantingto violently overthrow the communist in charge of the country. It is not just a few nutjobs. The vast majority of the people I meet here are radically to the right, politically.

I know someone will say you have nutjobs everywhere, which of course is true, but, based on my experience, there is simply a higher percentage here.

As far as being a blues Mecca...Really?? You get the blues when you are here, but don't mention the word Mecca....you may be shot for being an islamic sympathiser.

I am hesitant to post this because it just may attract more nutjobs.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,691,308 times
Well there are certainly some nutjobs in Fort Smith although I don't know the exact numbers.
You aren't going to get shot in Fort Smith, well, probably not.
Nobody has been shot because of their religion that I can remember. In fact I can't remember hearing anyone putting down Islam in any way.
I've heard people complaining about people not speaking English. It's not like Fort Smith is the only place that ever happens though.
I guess there is some history with BB King playing. I wouldn't come here just to hear blues music being played though except maybe the weekend of the blues fest.

I may be living in Asia for at least part of 2011 so maybe Fort Smith won't be my problem any more anyways. Maybe when I get back the economy will be stronger.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,263,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I live in Fort Smith. To say that Fort Smith is conservative would be a huge understatement. I have lived in a lot of cities and I generally reside in the center, politically. I have met people here, who on the outside would appear to normal people, but then you start talking to them and they begin talking about wantingto violently overthrow the communist in charge of the country. It is not just a few nutjobs. The vast majority of the people I meet here are radically to the right, politically.

I know someone will say you have nutjobs everywhere, which of course is true, but, based on my experience, there is simply a higher percentage here.

As far as being a blues Mecca...Really?? You get the blues when you are here, but don't mention the word Mecca....you may be shot for being an islamic sympathiser.

I am hesitant to post this because it just may attract more nutjobs.
Ft Smith is nowhere close to a blues mecca...now it is a blueGRASS mecca if you are into that kind of music. One needs to go to Memphis if they are looking for a blues scene. Not even Little Rock has it outside your typical annual "bluesfest".

Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,691,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Ft Smith is nowhere close to a blues mecca...now it is a blueGRASS mecca if you are into that kind of music. One needs to go to Memphis if they are looking for a blues scene. Not even Little Rock has it outside your typical annual "bluesfest".
I wouldn't say it was a bluegrass mecca either, I was raised in Fort Smith and I don't even know what bluegrass sounds like.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:51 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,362,237 times
Ft Smith is not a destination, or "mecca" as we are calling it, for any type of music.

There is a fantastic new piano bar on Garrison though; it is called "MoJo's". I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas