Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 01:07 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanField View Post
Although I sometimes work in Michigan, I don't have much experience in the rest of mid-America. I was talking to a colleague of mine the other day, who made some kind of statement about Arkansas being a part of the Southwest (Like Texas). This confused me, because when I think of Arkansas, I think of the Midwest/Great Plains area (Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma). This may have been discussed before, but isn't Arkansas considered to be in the Midwest as far as geography, accents, culture, ect? Not Southern like Tennessee or North Carolina, but a little redneck, like Nebraska.
Unless they've moved it, it's in the South.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's how I found this and that's what I think too, though I like this post by mnita:
kat, as I have said in other posts, AR is very southern, but the NW section is a mixture of retired people from all over the country, primarily Il, Wi, Mi, MN, Iowa and Nebraska, plus the influence of major companies, primarily Wal Mart who have move people from all over the country to Benton county. Just last year about 75 were moved from NY to here: thus we are very different from the rest of the state. A perfect example: the 2 counties in NWA, Washington and Benton are heavily Republican. The rest of the state, although they vote Republican more all the time they are registered Democrat.Of course I am generalizing; there are other regions of the state that have a high % of Republican, but not to the extent of Benton co. The Republicans here are not the Bible Belt types you get in Mississippi or other parts of the state, they are not Rednecks, they are fiscally conservative. Add to that, because of the senior influence from the northern states, you get a certain hominess feeling. I don't know exactly how to explain it without stepping on toes or insulting people, but you reallyhave to live here to totally understand. Maybe this will help: of all the social group we are involved with, I can only think of three people with truely deep southern accents: 1 was born and raised in Dallas, one in LA and one in Little Rock. Our granddaughter graduated from the university of AR, of all her sorority sisters that she is still in contact with, not one is from AR. They are from TX, CA, Mo, Ok and Il.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
kat, as I have said in other posts, AR is very southern, but the NW section is a mixture of retired people from all over the country, primarily Il, Wi, Mi, MN, Iowa and Nebraska, plus the influence of major companies, primarily Wal Mart who have move people from all over the country to Benton county. Just last year about 75 were moved from NY to here: thus we are very different from the rest of the state. A perfect example: the 2 counties in NWA, Washington and Benton are heavily Republican. The rest of the state, although they vote Republican more all the time they are registered Democrat.Of course I am generalizing; there are other regions of the state that have a high % of Republican, but not to the extent of Benton co. The Republicans here are not the Bible Belt types you get in Mississippi or other parts of the state, they are not Rednecks, they are fiscally conservative. Add to that, because of the senior influence from the northern states, you get a certain hominess feeling. I don't know exactly how to explain it without stepping on toes or insulting people, but you reallyhave to live here to totally understand. Maybe this will help: of all the social group we are involved with, I can only think of three people with truely deep southern accents: 1 was born and raised in Dallas, one in LA and one in Little Rock. Our granddaughter graduated from the university of AR, of all her sorority sisters that she is still in contact with, not one is from AR. They are from TX, CA, Mo, Ok and Il.
It sounds neat, acutally. I would like to visit your state some day. I love Joan Hess' books, some set in a fictional college town in AR, and some set in a fictional small town there.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,725 times
Jonesboro is in Northern Arkansas and there is absolutely nothing midwestern about it. Blytheville is on the northern border of Arkansas and there is nothing midwestern about it either.......

Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It sounds neat, acutally. I would like to visit your state some day. I love Joan Hess' books, some set in a fictional college town in AR, and some set in a fictional small town there.
Even if we have some differences, you are always welcome, you can stay with us and see the wonders of NWA. One of the true gems is Crystal Bridges, one of the top Art Museums in the country and we are about 25 minutes from it: we have Confederate battle fields, the wonderful little touristy town of Eureka Springs, green open fields (well green most years) a true mixture of rural and uban and it is very diverse culturally, believe it or not. The largest Marshall Island settlement in the world, outside of the island is right here in our back yard.

See ya someday, just call ahead of time., we will have the sweet tea or the wine ready for you. .

Last edited by nmnita; 07-28-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Jonesboro is in Northern Arkansas and there is absolutely nothing midwestern about it. Blytheville is on the northern border of Arkansas and there is nothing midwestern about it either.......
Where in the world are you getting the idea Johsnbora is NW AR? Have you lived or visited it and have you lived or spent any time in Benton or Washington Counties? Jonesboro is almost 5 hours from Fayetteville, which is the most southern tip of NoWest AR. How can you compare Jonesboro to NWA? I am a little surprised you live in MO and you think Jonesboro is NWA, that is what we are talking about, not all of AR. Blythville is 6 hours away: both cities are on the tN border as well, which would make them much more southern culturally than an area on the Mo,Ok, Kansas border.Comparing Jonesboro to Bentonville would be like comparing Needles Ca with Lake Tahoe, Ca; they both border NV.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-28-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 PM

172 posts, read 267,545 times
Arkansas is definitely the south. I grew up in New York and lived in Arkansas for 5 yrs, now live in North Carolina. I run into a lot of people from states like South Carolina and Georgia that argue that Ark. is the midwest. The Midwest would be Missouri. I always considered it a pointless state more than anything else.

Last edited by markymarq81; 07-28-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 07:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Even if we have some differences, you are always welcome, you can stay with us and see the wonders of NWA. One of the true gems is Crystal Bridges, one of the top Art Museums in the country and we are about 25 minutes from it: we have Confederate battle fields, the wonderful little touristy town of Eureka Springs, green open fields (well green most years) a true mixture of rural and uban and it is very diverse culturally, believe it or not. The largest Marshall Island settlement in the world, outside of the island is right here in our back yard.

See ya someday, just call ahead of time., we will have the sweet tea or the wine ready for you. .
Wine sounds good right now! Thanks!

Old 07-29-2012, 06:30 AM

38 posts, read 91,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
I run into a lot of people from states like South Carolina and Georgia that argue that Ark. is the midwest.
Many people failed geography and history class.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
Arkansas is definitely the south. I grew up in New York and lived in Arkansas for 5 yrs, now live in North Carolina. I run into a lot of people from states like South Carolina and Georgia that argue that Ark. is the midwest. The Midwest would be Missouri. I always considered it a pointless state more than anything else.
Are you saying AR is a pointless state? What makes you say that or are you referring to MO, it also is no more a pointless state than any other state..Every state has pros and cons and every state has something for some people. Where in AR did you live? Where in NO Carolina do you live, do you consider NO Carolina useless as well and what does any of this have to do with whether AR is the southern most tip of the midwest or the northern most tip of the south?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas