Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 02:06 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times

Advertisements

This RR is the same as the one shown on Page 9, Post 84, and is only about three miles north. It is at UTM NAD-83) 0457382 3783732 and south of Amity in east Pike County. I don't understand the difference in the condition. This RR in now abandoned but was first built in the early 1900s by area logging companies to haul their logs, then turned into a "public" RR that branched off the main road near Gurdon and was supposed to go to Ft. Smith but stopped at Womble, which later was renamed Norman.

The mountain is "Beemis Hill" which is honey-combed with cinnabar mines and contains, on top, the "Glory Hole" of the Mercury District.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-rr-crossing.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-beemis-hill.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Are you talking about the bridge across the Boat Ditch? There are several down there crossing the North and South Boat Ditches, and Terre Noire ( I can never remember how to spell that) Creek. I was suppose to publish a research paper on the Boat Ditches, but that's way down on my "do list".
That would be them! The closed big bridge crossing the Little Missouri River is pretty cool also.

Terre Noir is pronounced "Turmoir" by my family and friends. I thought that's how you spelled it when I was a kid.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 PM

I've posted before about the great hamburgers and sweet tea at Moms Diner. Well, here it is Don't let the looks affect you, it's what they bring to the table that counts
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-moms-diner.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-moms-diner-2.jpg  

Old 05-02-2011, 06:34 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
I ate there with you, right?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I ate there with you, right?
Right, and I remember it as being a dark drizzly day. It is in Delight, Pike County.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 PM

This is south of Amity, Clark County. It is all that remains of what was once (19teens-1930s) a large bottom land farm along the Antoine River. There is a modern dwelling where the old farm house was located.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-old-barn.jpg  

Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 PM

This is the trestle of another abandoned railroad in Pike County @ UTM (NAD-83) 0457632 3766224. This was the Pike City Branch, off the Womble Branch, of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, which now has another name I don't remember. The Pike City Branch left the Womble Branch east of Antoine, in Clark County, at a place called Pike Junction. It went from there into Pike County through Antoine, Delight, and to Pike City. It's primary purpose was to serve sawmills in those three communities as well as farmers and merchants. Factual information is difficult to find, but in the late 1800s there were reports of a RR in this area, but it is not known if that was this one. Between 1903 and 1906 asphaltic sand was mined near Pike City and shipped over these railroads to Little Rock where it was used to pave West Markham Street from Main to Cross Streets, and part of Center Street.

Between the end of WW II and 1947 the Pike City Branch was taken up from Pike City to a few hundred meters west of this trestle where it serviced a large gravel operation until about 1999 when the remainder was taken up to the west end of this trestle where I'm standing to take this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-rr-bridge2.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-rr-bridge-3.jpg  

Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Right, and I remember it as being a dark drizzly day. It is in Delight, Pike County.
Also home to Pinky's which I understand is pretty awesome too.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
Also home to Pinky's which I understand is pretty awesome too.
That's a big 10-4 on Pinky's. I've eaten there and it is awesome, but I started eating at Mom's before I knew about Pinky's and I'm a creature of habit.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Here is some storm damage we don't hear about. This is in Woods Cemetery in east Pike County and the distant view shows a big oak tree across the graves of my maternal great great grandparents. The second view, of the root ball, shows how big the tree was, and I couldn't tell if it impacted any graves. There is a rock marker near the hole but I couldn't tell where the rows were so couldn't see if there was any impact. Even if the tree was over the grave the roots were so shallow they didn't impact the remains. The third photo shows where the limb hit g g grandmothers tombstone. The tombstone was dislodged with the limb on top but I got it out and set it back up. That was the only damage to my family but I saw, under the tree top, other tombstones knocked over but didn't see any broken ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7791.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_7798.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_7797.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas