Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 AM

318 posts, read 625,875 times

Advertisements

Lol, that reminds me of this one time when I was talking to this American girl online and I changed my avatar to a picture of myself and she was all like, "You're ASIAN? I thought you lived in Australia!" and I explained to her that Australia was like America and an Asian Australian is no different from an Asian American, in the regard that they're very multicultural.. and she was all like, "So you're Asian Australian? I didn't know they existed!"

But yeah, I get what you mean, though I've had totally different experiences from you. Most of the Asians in Asia I've met seem to think that Australia is filled with white people yet know that I'm not an Asian from Asia and quote me tourist prices *facepalm* But on the other hand, they all seem to faint with horror when I tell them that I can barely speak the Asian language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
Lol, that reminds me of this one time when I was talking to this American girl online and I changed my avatar to a picture of myself and she was all like, "You're ASIAN? I thought you lived in Australia!" and I explained to her that Australia was like America and an Asian Australian is no different from an Asian American, in the regard that they're very multicultural.. and she was all like, "So you're Asian Australian? I didn't know they existed!"

But yeah, I get what you mean, though I've had totally different experiences from you. Most of the Asians in Asia I've met seem to think that Australia is filled with white people yet know that I'm not an Asian from Asia and quote me tourist prices *facepalm* But on the other hand, they all seem to faint with horror when I tell them that I can barely speak the Asian language.
That's funny. I'd have guessed that since Australia is basically next door to SE Asia, that there would almost naturally be a sizable portion of Asians living there. Kind of like Vancouver, but closer.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:25 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post

It pretty much is, to be honest.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
That's funny. I'd have guessed that since Australia is basically next door to SE Asia, that there would almost naturally be a sizable portion of Asians living there. Kind of like Vancouver, but closer.
We had the White Australia Policy which ensured that most of those 'Asiatic hoards' didn't enter the country. When this was lifted in the 1960s and 70s there was a steady stream of migrants from Asia, beginning with the Vietnamese refugees.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
People of European descent make up 90% of Australia's population, so many people are probably unaware of the Asian minority in your country.
Its actually much closer to 80% european these days, many people are also not aware how quickly the population is changing.

My wife still gets a few strange looks when she producers and Australian Drivers Licence as ID for something, despite the fact she still speaks and acts like any other Korean.

One thing of great frustration to us is the inability of the Korean Government to allow dual citizenship. Thats another matter however.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-16-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Maybe it is just a human thing, Asians are not the only people to encounter this.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:27 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Its actually much closer to 80% european these days, many people are also not aware how quickly the population is changing.
Nope, it's 92% white and 7% Asian.

Link

Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Are they not accepting you as a Westerner or an Australian? Westerner in most people's minds refers to someone descended from Western European peoples. Surely they accept you as an Australian after hearing your accent?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:47 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Nope, it's 92% white and 7% Asian.

Link
Try this more up to date one.

Census of Population and Housing

Land of many cultures, ancestries and faiths

Besides your origional post said european, not white. By Australian and US measuring systems, the populations of the likes of Iran, Iraq, Lebenon, Syria, Egypt etc etc are close to 100% white.

They sure are not european however, and neither are the 2.5% of australians who are either Aborigional or Torres Strait islanders.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-16-2012 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
It definitely happens. When I was in Turkey, there were a bunch of people who were like "really??" when I said I was from the US because they thought I was a local. One older guy went as far as telling me I was lying and he said I was tricking him, even though I was clearly speaking English in a non European/Middle Eastern accent. It was like unfathomable to them that someone with mid east descent could be living outside of the mid east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia