Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
They started as a very poor country in the 60s with practically very limited resources. They had to enforce their law very strict inorder for them to catch up with other developing nations at that time. Which worked very well for them judging from their present situation right now.
South Korea started the same way, and it's doing quite well too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:28 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
hueyeats, you're an exceptional ambassador for your fine country.

I agree!!!
And I am!

What a great exceptional ambassador for my fine country that I actually know better than to "admit" loser people who want my country's law to be less draconian so "they" can bend the law to their advantage.

Looking out for my own country's prospects you see...

A country like mine sure do not need "these" people.

I say again... don't come to my country.
Too many people seeking to come here as it is and what is one more (especially losers) who gets turned away by me???

I love my country & will "protect" its laws accordingly like a good citizen.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
They started as a very poor country in the 60s with practically very limited resources. They had to enforce their law very strict inorder for them to catch up with other developing nations at that time. Which worked very well for them judging from their present situation right now.
^^^Agreed.

================================================== =
~separate comment.

As shown from history, it worked keeping certain "types" of people out.
And we are happy that way (yes, one of the happiest country in the world).

No complains about "our" law from many local law abiding citizens.
Now... for the non-law abiding citizens and especially foreigners who want the relaxed law so they can "survive" here in SG...

Seriously... what gives them the right to even "voice" or "complain about" anything????
Especially since they are NOT EVEN my own countrymen????

That I seriously want to know.

I know for sure if a stranger were to visit your house & your house has a law that forbid touching your personal stuff... if that visitor were to flaunt your law & purposefully break that law... you'd be pissed too right??? Especially when that person is not even family & is just a "guest"????
(And even if a family member were to break the house rules, even they would get punished as per my culture... as per any "good" parents would "practice what you preach")

You (people who question about my country's laws) know... self-entitlement from the attitudes that other country should bend their law to suit you is utterly ridiculous right????

And it prove this way of "self-entitled" thinking (to think to change other's country) to be not only "un-realistic" (ungrounded), "un-respectful" (especially of my country), and more than probably of a lessor & more clouded mind (influenced by something again unrealistic, eg. drugs or what ever your agenda is)... definitely a lessor being (less mannered to even "think" & suggest to try & bend another person's house rules).

Mirror mirror on the wall....
Who is "reflected" rudest of them all????
(Home owner / SG citizen OR the guest trying to only "visit"?)
Seriously????

Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM

317 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
^^^Agreed.

================================================== =
~separate comment.

Now... for the non-law abiding citizens and especially foreigners who want the relaxed law so they can "survive" here in SG...

Seriously... what gives them the right to even "voice" or "complain about" anything????

I know for sure if a stranger were to visit your house & your house has a law that forbid touching your personal stuff... if that visitor were to flaunt your law & purposefully break that law... you'd be pissed too right??? Especially when that person is not even family & is just a "guest"????
(And even if a family member were to break the house rules, even they would get punished as per my culture... as per any "good" parents would "practice what you preach")

You (people who question about my country's laws) know... self-entitlement from the attitudes that other country should bend their law to suit you is utterly ridiculous right????

And it prove this way of "self-entitled" thinking (to think to change other's country) to be not only "un-realistic" (ungrounded), "un-respectful" (especially of my country), and more than probably of a lessor & more clouded mind (influenced by something again unrealistic, eg. drugs or what ever your agenda is)... definitely a lessor being (less mannered to even "think" & suggest to try & bend another person's house rules).

Mirror mirror on the wall....
Who is "reflected" rudest of them all????
(Home owner / SG citizen OR the guest trying to only "visit"?)
Seriously????
Tell us about the arrest of the author Alan Shadrake in 2010.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:19 PM

So???
He is British and what business he thinks he have with my country???
What makes him think he has the right to do as he wish???

I sure don't feel sorry for him.

He is only a "guest", and in order for him to be treated as such... he should act as one NOT question or insult the host country.

You don't agree with my country...
EASY.
I repeat... YOU "Corsa" CAN CONTROL YOUR situation BY NOT putting YOURSELF into SG's path.

No love loss there. NONE!!

Respectful of your host much???
If not.. you sure aren't "invited".
Even if you are, you probably won't be again should the host KNOW you will "insult" & question the house rules.

Last edited by hueyeats; 09-14-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 PM

P.S. Same applies to Michael P. Fay.

If he wants to be treated like a guest & not be booted out...
Should he NOT respect that host's laws & follow as such???

Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 PM

One more point...

At least they (Alan & Michael) haven't "disappeared" or got kidnap by "terrorist" & dragged through the streets & "executed" without even a trial system like many other examples in middle east (Iraq, Pakistan, Alfganistan, Libya {latest eg.}), china, the mexican drug cartels etc.. just because some of those countries' people think the foreigners "spies" or have insulted their country.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:07 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Quote:

Since when were Singaporean's allowed to complain about anything the PAP decides is good for the people? To imply that Singaporean citizens that would like more say in the running of their country, or are uneasy with certain laws must then be criminals is laughable.

Quote:

Where are the large numbers of foreigners within your own country demanding changes in the law? I think your just jumping at shadows.

Your implication that people question Singapore's laws because they're secretly drawing up plans to smuggle in drugs or drug addicts themselves is absurd While Singapore is entitled to make it's own laws as and how it sees fit, to many others they look harsh and over the top.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 AM

317 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
One more point...

At least they (Alan & Michael) haven't "disappeared" or got kidnap by "terrorist" & dragged through the streets & "executed" without even a trial system like many other examples in middle east (Iraq, Pakistan, Alfganistan, Libya {latest eg.}), china, the mexican drug cartels etc.. just because some of those countries' people think the foreigners "spies" or have insulted their country.
Yes you would expect that in those countries
But why would you get detained just for writing a book?
so much for freedom of speech or freedom of expression

Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Since when were Singaporean's allowed to complain about anything the PAP decides is good for the people? To imply that Singaporean citizens that would like more say in the running of their country, or are uneasy with certain laws must then be criminals is laughable.

Back to the thread...
This is about "relaxing" our drug rules... so the foreigners or even fellow druggie singaporean can abuse it via its relaxed loop holes & bend it to their likes.
That is VERY CRIMINAL in my books.
As a valid SGorean if I were to run the rules of SG...
Even a mere druggie (who abuse themselves & only pose a possibility of a danger to a fellow SGrean) will BE PUT TO DEATH.
So yah... I will be tougher than the PAP set laws.
That is my honest opinion on teh drug matters.

And yes!!!
***Laws should be set via the government to the country (house & host) & followed by SGreans (family, kids, parents etc.) and definitely BY the guests who is in that house either by their own willingness to subject to that house rules OR to respect that rules since they are "invited" & expected to "behave as such" with the rules.

Where are the large numbers of foreigners within your own country demanding changes in the law? I think your just jumping at shadows.

There are not a large number, but this thread IS ABOUT people on this forum trying to say we SGrean are too tough (hence draconian) & should relax the rules!!! Get back unto the program will ya???
Where can YOU quote me on that??? I enforced only that should any foreigner not like our rules... don't come here. Totally legit. Don't like my house rules, guess what?? Don't visit. EASY. Free choice.
BUT don't seek to relax that house rules in another person's house!!!

Your implication that people question Singapore's laws because they're secretly drawing up plans to smuggle in drugs or drug addicts themselves is absurd While Singapore is entitled to make it's own laws as and how it sees fit, to many others they look harsh and over the top.
Fine by me, again.
These people have that freedom of choice NOT to come here.
Don't you all agree... SG has too many people as it is???
WHY would we NEED more extra baggages that does not even "fit" into the compartment???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia