Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
Yes you would expect that in those countries
But why would you get detained just for writing a book?
so much for freedom of speech or freedom of expression
Why would you think you are "entitled" & deserve NOT to be detained (per our law) when you insist on publishing a book our laws told you NOT TO???
What... are you GOD that people should cater to your wimps???

That is my freedom of speech & free expression to defend my country's laws as the birth right as a citizen who WANTS their laws OBEYED by any who set foot into my house & home, MY COUNTRY!!!

P.S. But then of course...
It is also that writer's right & freedom of speech as it is yours Corsa...
To have me when I visited YOUR HOUSE, HOME & COUNTRY and *you* choose for me to relax YOUR LAWS & abuse that to MY advantage & then flaunt my freedom of rights to "question it" just because I see it harsh & choses to disobey it and write rot about it too... then again, its your house & your choice. I'd respect that too is that happens IN YOUR OWN HOUSE. = freedom of expression & speech.

My house, my way.
Your house, yours of course...

That is the difference!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Why would you think you are "entitled" & deserve NOT to be detained (per our law) when you insist on publishing a book our laws told you NOT TO???

That is my freedom of speech & free expression to defend my country's laws as the birth right as a citizen who WANTS their laws OBEYED by any who set foot into my house & home, MY COUNTRY!!!

To have me when I visited YOUR HOUSE, HOME & COUNTRY and *you* choose for me to relax YOUR LAWS & abuse that to MY advantage & then flaunt my freedom of rights to "question it" just because I see it harsh & choses to disobey it and write rot about it too... then again, its your house & your choice. I'd respect that too is that happens IN YOUR OWN HOUSE. = freedom of expression & speech.

My house, my way.

In short, the concept of freedom for you is different than my concept of freedom.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 AM

317 posts, read 528,178 times
Quote:

My house, my way.

ok your government does the thinking for you.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:

My house, my way.

Developed countries have realized long ago that you have to provide some basic human rights such as freedom of speech, not beheading somebody because he/she said something you don't like etc. If you want a good example of a country that did not follow this principle, take Nazi Germany. That's tyranny. No freedom at all for the citizens.

I can't even believe you chose this example. Being detained because of writing a book the government dosen't like. Seriously? That's what the Nazis did.
A true Democracy will not arbitrarily impose such "laws".

Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
The basic answer to the Title Question is "because it hasn't been your turn to be dictator of Singapore yet". Singapore is a sovereign nation, free to make and enforce laws in their own interests. The people of Singapore seem quite content living in a nation in which they have a day-to-day expectation of civil order. It if takes what you call "Draconian laws" to bring about that state of affairs, that is a matter for Singaporeans to concern themselves with.

In short, citizens of Singapore do not enjoy a constitutional right to be disruptive hellraisers subjecting their fellow citizens to miserable and threatened lives full of unpredictable drama.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:20 AM

36 posts, read 57,215 times
Ok folks, here is the deal. If you think the laws in Singapore are harsh you have two choices. One is to follow the law, enjoy your stay in a safe city-state. Option two is just don't visit it. Sure you have your right to call the laws Draconian, but just accept that is just one view, other people seem content with it. You don't have to feel the need to keep bashing something you think is bad, just state your point of view and move on. Forcing your point of view on others just leads unnecessary arguments. Similar to the stance one can take about religion. I think the bottom line is respect.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Cat View Post
Ok folks, here is the deal. If you think the laws in Singapore are harsh you have two choices. One is to follow the law, enjoy your stay in a safe city-state. Option two is just don't visit it. Sure you have your right to call the laws Draconian, but just accept that is just one view, other people seem content with it. You don't have to feel the need to keep bashing something you think is bad, just state your point of view and move on. Forcing your point of view on others just leads unnecessary arguments. Similar to the stance one can take about religion. I think the bottom line is respect.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

My house, respect my rules...
(Government thinking for me or not = "I like it like that").
Your house, your rules...
(I don't like it that YOU like the government NOT thinking for you, I don't go there period).
Eg. American borders letting the "illegal migrants aka NOT necessary QUALITY PEOPLE" running all over their own land with their governments' & "some" of its own US people (pro-illegals) allowing & flexing their laws to suit themselves & their causes like political etc.... These illegals (breaking the land laws) will be prosecuted in SG, China, Russia & most probably even Mexico itself.
So yah... don't go by rules is not advantageous for my country mind you... see the credit ratings OK.

P.S. Seriously... We really don't NEED more people seeking to come in (especially when they even have the gall to question SG's house laws & deemed it too "government controlled" to suit their purposes) to compete for OUR SPACE, OUR JOBS, OUR FOOD (awesome BTW) FOR OUR PEOPLE, who really really LOVES their country that is "FOR them" too.

= 1 less "unworthy mouth" (criminally intent i.e. law flexing individual) to feed for my country
= 1 more extra meal for my own (law abiding) people

Even US should really smarten up to learn that lesson sometimes.
Go back to that times where people of the world (quality people that is) actually WANTS to go there to live that American Dream... not like right now... errrm how many suffering from US lack of leadership & the leader himself break even the political house rules (remember Monica & Clinton & the lying UNDER OATH for the whole world to see???)???? Hah!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Reliable practice about SG...

It is only smart of my country
(drum roll plz)
To let in "quality" people.
Not "unqualified" people especially WITH criminal intent that question our laws.

That I think, is smart practice for any country IMO.
Old chinese sayings of "letting the wolves into one's home / internal sanctuary will guarantee a havoc / chaos" you know....

One more pointer...
The saying of trouble don't look for people BUT people themselves LOOK FOR that trouble????
It is only reflective of
the person who has the problems with that laws "in the first place" has THE PROBLEMS themselves.
eg. eg... I love examples...
A social user druggie wanting SG's laws to relax so they can buy drugs.
OR
A drug dealer who fears death dealing / trafficking drugs in SG, wanting to do away with SG's death sentences so THEY CAN LIVE????
OR
Someone who fell in love with a criminal & wants the law to "relax" so they can meet & greet or what not.
etc.

Like an unhappy wealthy with problems questioning a truly happy & free beggar on the street as to why he/she is happy.
Really...
What business is it of that "unhappy wealthy"??? So "KPO"... Seriously!

Last edited by hueyeats; 09-19-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Yea, I'm with Huey on this one. It is their country and if that's how they want to run it, then I'll just avoid it and recommend pretty much everyone else I know avoid it. Singapore seemed strangely lacking and dull to me, and while some of the food is good, you can definitely find it elsewhere in the world. I honestly can't understand why one would go to Singapore. If law-abiding, first world East Asia is what someone wants then South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan (HK and Macau, too) offer quite a bit more.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I'm with Huey on this one. It is their country and if that's how they want to run it, then I'll just avoid it and recommend pretty much everyone else I know avoid it. Singapore seemed strangely lacking and dull to me, and while some of the food is good, you can definitely find it elsewhere in the world. I honestly can't understand why one would go to Singapore. If law-abiding, first world East Asia is what someone wants then South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan (HK and Macau, too) offer quite a bit more.
It's not the greatest place in the world, but where else in Asia except maybe KL is so accessible, easy to get around, with the cultures of Asian in one small place? The way I see it is it's a 'taster plate' for Asia (quite literally). The Indian food in Singapore is just as authentic as that in India, the Chinese food as good as what you'll find in China, and there's the local cuisine. It is a bit of a theme-park, but anyone who thinks the laws are too harsh to even consider visiting doesn't have a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia