Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:23 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
Despite being Asian and being raised in an Asian household, and eating Asian food most days for dinner - I've never actually tried anything wacky and out of the norm.

I freaked when my mother tried to feed me pigeon once, and I almost fainted when my cousin started eating balut in front of me.

I'm just a reallyyyyy picky eater and I just prefer to eat foods where I can easily tell what it is, and is available at restaurants and stuff. The wackiest Asian food I've probably tried is shark fin soup which isn't all that weird in China, and I actually love shark fin soup, to my surprise.
I didn't include pigeon in my list since it is not "weird" to me. LOL... If you visit Hong Kong, you should try the pigeon at Tai Ping Koon restaurant. It's not that much different from eating chicken

Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,163 times
At a small restaurant in Guanzhou they held a small reunion of my wife's college classmates. Besides snake they had some kind of turtle soup or stew. The turtle was chopped up shell and all and the head was served to me.
After they pretty much finished, a waiter came in with two water glasses. It seemed that in preparing the large snake, they forgot to ask if anyone wanted the blood or the bile.(Clear and oily-thick. One Chinese classmate drank the blood from the glass, another drank the bile.
Ugh!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 AM

329 posts, read 460,452 times
in Vietnam they eat spiders migales., yes the big one... they drop them in oil.

and they eat Bat wings....

Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
At a small restaurant in Guanzhou they held a small reunion of my wife's college classmates. Besides snake they had some kind of turtle soup or stew. The turtle was chopped up shell and all and the head was served to me.
After they pretty much finished, a waiter came in with two water glasses. It seemed that in preparing the large snake, they forgot to ask if anyone wanted the blood or the bile.(Clear and oily-thick. One Chinese classmate drank the blood from the glass, another drank the bile.
Ugh!
Turtle soup was a common delicacy in Victorian Britain actually.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
in Vietnam they eat spiders migales., yes the big one... they drop them in oil.

and they eat Bat wings....
I think you might mean Cambodia.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
I suppose this is not really weird food, but I ate farm-raised ostrich meat at a very nice restaurant in Rangsit (north side of Bangkok) Thailand. My son-in-law suggested it. The way it was prepared, the dish was quite good and flavorful. It was served up in small bite-sized pieces (typical for mest dishes in the country) and mixed with various veggies and a flavorful sauce, along with rice. The texture of the meat was smilar to a thin, lean, cut of beef. Pricewise, it was a little spendier than most other meat dishes there, but not overly expensive.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I suppose this is not really weird food, but I ate farm-raised ostrich meat at a very nice restaurant in Rangsit (north side of Bangkok) Thailand. My son-in-law suggested it. The way it was prepared, the dish was quite good and flavorful. It was served up in small bite-sized pieces (typical for mest dishes in the country) and mixed with various veggies and a flavorful sauce, along with rice. The texture of the meat was smilar to a thin, lean, cut of beef. Pricewise, it was a little spendier than most other meat dishes there, but not overly expensive.
'spendier'...haha, nice word you invented there? lol

Didn't know they raised ostriches in Thailand...they do here too, though I've never had the meat. I've had emu sausage at a bush food at an aboriginal cultural event, not bad.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
'spendier'...haha, nice word you invented there? lol

Didn't know they raised ostriches in Thailand...they do here too, though I've never had the meat. I've had emu sausage at a bush food at an aboriginal cultural event, not bad.
Of course, ostriches and emus are not native birds, but there are a few farms that raise them. A couple that come to mind are in the provinces of Chiang Rai, and Ratchaburi. Ratchaburi is west of Bangkok. There might be others around as well, but probably much smaller scaled operations. The Siam Ostrich Marketing Co Ltd, in Ratchaburi is said to be the largest in the country. My understanding is that ostriches are very high maintanence buggers to raise. They need a lot of food and a lot of space. And of course, there's not a high demand for ostrich meat. It's not as common to find served at restaurants as is pork, chicken and seafood, so the price is comparatively higher. The restuarant we went to in Rangsit, is slightly upscale and has it on their menu. I had no idea until we got there and my son-in-law recommended it as something different for me to try. It was very good.

Malai Ostrich farm

Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM

294 posts, read 476,417 times
Pig brains, bullfrog, duck blood.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:09 PM

59 posts, read 101,727 times

This meat, mostly cause it's outrageously expensive and from Costco.

Otherwise I'd say either raw beef, raw horse meat, or spicy chicken feet. All of which aren't too exciting based on what I see other writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia