Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:33 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times

Advertisements

Those who think Japan will be better off with a much smaller population is dead wrong. Without immigration, like Canada and Australia, Japan will have to deal with decline quality of life, wealth as well as regional power of the country.

Imagin a Japan with 50 million people - similar to S Korea today and less than 10 Chinese provinces. It will cease to be as important in East Asia. China and many other countries will love to see a much smaller and poorer Japan, which invaded much of east Asia costing so many lives during the first half of last century.

current situation:

As of this spring, Japan's population declined to its 2004 level (about 127-8 million), with over 25% of seniors (65+), and a record low percentage (13%) of children under 14. By 2050 its population is expected to decline by 25%, to about 96 million. It will still be a rich and populous country, but just at the same level as it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 PM

65 posts, read 98,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
the Japanese are not racist in the sense that they consider other races inferior. They just happen to adore Caucasians and consider other races inferior. I don't know how to call that
I met a Japanese lady in Kyoto and in the conversation when I told her that I lived out most of my life in New Zealand and rather than Hong Kong,she was quite interested and to say the Japanese like caucasian is just misleading

Old 10-28-2013, 10:07 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
the Japanese are not racist in the sense that they consider other races inferior. They just happen to adore Caucasians and consider other races inferior. I don't know how to call that
Those are called 'stereotypes' and 'blanket statements'.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Quote:
Those who think Japan will be better off with a much smaller population is dead wrong. Without immigration, like Canada and Australia, Japan will have to deal with decline quality of life, wealth as well as regional power of the country.
You realize they talk English in those countries, while they talk Japanese in Japan. Due to that it is impossible for Japan to have the same kind of immigration as Australia and Canada. Japan can only solve their demographic problem through thirld world immigration by having millions of poor people moving to the country.

But as europe has experienced, that has not benefited them at all. It will lead to soaring crime rates, declining welfare, higher taxes, and ethnic conflict. How will that benefit the Japanese population?

Quote:
Imagin a Japan with 50 million people - similar to S Korea today and less than 10 Chinese provinces. It will cease to be as important in East Asia. China and many other countries will love to see a much smaller and poorer Japan, which invaded much of east Asia costing so many lives during the first half of last century.
Japan is going to decline in importance anyway. And I think Japan rather be a little bit weaker, than to be a country with lots of people who reject japanese culture.

How strong Japan is going to be in the future is not a big issue for ordinary japanese. What is important is to improve standard of living, and stop the huge population decline. The best way to solve the first problem is by reducing the debt level. The best way of solving second problem is by increasing the fertility rate.

I am not against decent immigration laws, and I do think people should be able to be with their foreign wifes. However, I don't immigration can solve their population problem.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:52 PM

38 posts, read 68,367 times
The problem with Japan is that they are too nationalistic. Look at their behavior in WWII. They are a proud people. Problem is that their past will determine their future. China will bury them. Rape of Nanking? I am China Biotch. I will rape your future into oblivion. Just saying.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:02 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeallthetime View Post
The problem with Japan is that they are too nationalistic. Look at their behavior in WWII. They are a proud people. Problem is that their past will determine their future. China will bury them. Rape of Nanking? I am China Biotch. I will rape your future into oblivion. Just saying.
You're 'knowledge' is about 65 years dated.

I've lived in Asia a long time including Japan for five years, and I didn't find Japan very nationalistic at all. I found South Korea extremely nationalistic. I found Vietnam very nationalistic. I didn't find Japan or the Japanese people to be so.

Maybe they were 60 or 70 years ago though.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 PM

65 posts, read 98,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeallthetime View Post
the problem with japan is that they are too nationalistic. Look at their behavior in wwii. They are a proud people. Problem is that their past will determine their future. China will bury them. Rape of nanking? I am china biotch. I will rape your future into oblivion. Just saying.
trololololol

Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
Blow Up Dolls

Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
Immigration?
I see the day when countries will be competing for immigrants, given the lowering of the fertility rates all over the world. Yes, the fertility rates are still quite high (like 6.0/7.0) in parts of Africa, but how many of those will even enjoy their 1st, or 16th birthday parties!!

I know, at one point, Japan was courting Brazilian immigrants, but the fertility rate in Brazil has even fallen to 1.9, and 2.0 in Mexico! And a 2.3 rate is the desirable rate for any country.

I was shocked to read the fertility rate in Korea is about the same as Japan, around 1.2.

This is a "problem" many countries will be facing down the road, not just Japan. And Russia? Oh Lord! No matter how hard they try, they just can't women to have babies over there!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I see the day when countries will be competing for immigrants, given the lowering of the fertility rates all over the world. Yes, the fertility rates are still quite high (like 6.0/7.0) in parts of Africa, but how many of those will even enjoy their 1st, or 16th birthday parties!!
Countries are already competing for qualified immigrants. Of course there are countries who don't realize their potential but there are many countries who do.

And no, African immigrants will never be popular. In fact I can't think of one country with high fertility rate who has a lot of productive immigrants.

Quote:
This is a "problem" many countries will be facing down the road, not just Japan. And Russia? Oh Lord! No matter how hard they try, they just can't women to have babies over there!
Actually Russia has seen their birth rate increasing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia