Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:37 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
English is the medium of instruction in all levels. Public or Private schools

I find that strange, do you think the Phils will even become a mostly English speaking country?

Malaysia is the opposite: education used to be in English but now it's all in Malay. The younger generation's English is actually worse than the older generation. Malay nationalism will put the country at a disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:10 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
What do you mean basic English ????
Even some of our TV commercials are in English.
Please stop saying something you don't know.
All our books in school are in English. Medium of instruction is in English, how can that be just basic ????
Our official language is also English.
I don't know if their Education system is better than ours, but our English accent is better than theirs.
You can't say which accent is better, most Filipinos mentioned "F" to sound like "p".

@susu enrico
Well according to this QS University Rankings: Asia 2013 | Top Universities, Singapore as the king, Thailand ranked 2nd, Malaysia 3rd, Indonesia 4th and Philippines 5th. Philippines already have English in their sylabus, i don't really see why would they go there apart from teaching in an international school. Basically they would only go to the country where ENGLISH IS ALMOST ALIEN LANGUAGE, like Indonesia, Vietnam or Thailand... I know quiet a load of expat in Jakarta, but i can asure you that most do not work as English teacher.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I find that strange, do you think the Phils will even become a mostly English speaking country?

Malaysia is the opposite: education used to be in English but now it's all in Malay. The younger generation's English is actually worse than the older generation. Malay nationalism will put the country at a disadvantage.
We are multi-lingual country because we also speak our native languages, well if they teach proper English yes that is possible. When we speak with fellow Filipinos, we still used our own native language though or sometimes code-switching but proper used of English is much better specially if we don't get used to it. But if we talk to a foreigner of course we have to use proper English. I think the new procedure on how they teach English today is much better than before by listening and reading on proper pronunciation of words.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
You can't say which accent is better, most Filipinos mentioned "F" to sound like "p".

@susu enrico
Well according to this QS University Rankings: Asia 2013 | Top Universities, Singapore as the king, Thailand ranked 2nd, Malaysia 3rd, Indonesia 4th and Philippines 5th. Philippines already have English in their sylabus, i don't really see why would they go there apart from teaching in an international school. Basically they would only go to the country where ENGLISH IS ALMOST ALIEN LANGUAGE, like Indonesia, Vietnam or Thailand... I know quiet a load of expat in Jakarta, but i can asure you that most do not work as English teacher.
Well the other reason why a lot of foreigners go to the Philippines to learn English is because the Low-cost than going to the US, Australia or UK.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

English isn't the medium of instruction at all levels anymore. From K-3 grade, the medium of instruction is the child's native language. They also learn English and Tagalog as subjects. Then from 4-12, Tagalog and English are the mediums of instruction

Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
I find it interesting as a percentage the place with the highest number of native English speakers in the mainland Old World is Malaysia.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Well the other reason why a lot of foreigners go to the Philippines to learn English is because the Low-cost than going to the US, Australia or UK.

So is Malaysia, it's actually not that expensive either as compared to Singapore which makes them one of the destination for those who desire to learn English or go to an institution with English language with good quality, yet not so costly. Of course its price would be higher than Philippines though, but their vocabulary usage has been nominated the best in Asia.

Its certainly become a destination for Middle Eastern and i can assure you that none absorb their accent (apart from Indonesians and many other nationality like China who got terrible English). There has been a large number of international institution and colleges settling in Malaysia due to its lingual advantages, Britain, Australia, and China to name a few. University of Nottingham have established themself a campus in the country and soon Xiamen University would open up there.

Last edited by Goshio22; 11-26-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post

@susu enrico
You probably meant " some " not most.

I was mostly talking about intonation.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-26-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The problem with KL is that it is in Malaysia, a second rate country. Second rate in geopolitical importance, second rate in individual accomplishments of its citizens, second rate as a presence in ASEAN. Little to offer that is exceptional other than Kota Kinabalu.
As opposed to the Philippines, which is third or fourth rate.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
As opposed to the Philippines, which is third or fourth rate.
Not when it comes to BPO and shared services, where the Philippines is #1 in ASEAN. Come to think of it, Malaysia is surrounded by many #1 countries. Singapore - #1 in finance. Thailand - #1 in autos. Indonesia - #1 in consumer and natural resources. What about Malaysia? #1 in spreading the wealth. What an earned accomplishment indeed! Truly a place for the capable and self-made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia