Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times

Advertisements

in PPP of course. (which means $1 = CNY 3.5 instead of 6.2)

China’s economy was 87 percent of the size of the U.S. in 2011, based on so-called purchasing power parity, the International Comparison Program said in a statement yesterday in Washington. The program, which involves organizations including the World Bank and United Nations, had put the figure at 43 percent in 2005.

The latest tally adds to the debate on how the world’s top two economic powers are progressing. Projecting growth rates from 2011 onwards suggests China’s size when measured in PPP may surpass the U.S. in 2014, which would be years earlier than many economists had previously estimated, according to Arvind Subramanian of the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

China Set to Overtake U.S. as Biggest Economy in PPP Measure - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:33 AM

I don't think China will be too enthusiastic about the crown.
Being number 1 comes with too many new responsibilities which China as a developing countries with too many internal issues is not ready for.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
As soon as China dumps the CCP, the better off it will be. But, it is the only example of a successfully state directed economy. It could do better, but Ihope they reach that status soon, because they seriously need to curb their pollution problems

Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
As soon as China dumps the CCP, the better off it will be. But, it is the only example of a successfully state directed economy. It could do better, but Ihope they reach that status soon, because they seriously need to curb their pollution problems
the problem is if they did dump the CCP, there is no alternative. you can't run a country based on ideology (what SHOULD be the ideal way to do things). Each country is different, and before a better political system becomes viable, China is sticking with the CCP. It is easy to say "the people should have democracy", but what's more important is the economy and whether a new system can work better to improve the standard of living in China. I think most Chinese would prefer being in the current China without democracy than the fully democratic India or the Philippines or other poorer countries.

I don't think a completely new party will emerge to compete with the CCP. The best scenario will be the CCP will eventually separate into two branches and and eventually become independent political parties.

If the CCP collapsed today (many would love to see that), China would be in chaos with no growth and deteriorating life quality for the next 20 years at least, and the Chinese people suffer, not the pro-democracy westerners.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:54 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
I am glad that the CHN gov is actively trying to discredit such nonsense. China in many ways is still relatively poor. It may be collectively huge, but individual Chinese are still poor, and the standard of living for many is low.

What I like about the current gov, despite it's sometimes pigheaded approach, is its practical common sense. Unlike Indian politicians, who love to talk big but often fail to deliver, Chinese mandarins are usually very objective, and they always take the conservative measurement when it comes to China because they know how far the country has come, and how far it still has to go. On this point alone, I am bullish about China.

On a more positive front, China's NPC has finally clarify the law code that makes it a crime punishable by prison time and huge fines for anyone eating the 300 species on the endangered list. This news is far more important for China, for the world and for the natural world, than any stupid measurement of the size of the economy.

When China's economy is exactly five time the size of the US....then we will have a real competition. And let's use the exchange rate method too instead of this stupid PPP nonsense.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:04 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
the problem is if they did dump the CCP, there is no alternative. you can't run a country based on ideology (what SHOULD be the ideal way to do things). Each country is different, and before a better political system becomes viable, China is sticking with the CCP. It is easy to say "the people should have democracy", but what's more important is the economy and whether a new system can work better to improve the standard of living in China. I think most Chinese would prefer being in the current China without democracy than the fully democratic India or the Philippines or other poorer countries.

I don't think a completely new party will emerge to compete with the CCP. The best scenario will be the CCP will eventually separate into two branches and and eventually become independent political parties.

If the CCP collapsed today (many would love to see that), China would be in chaos with no growth and deteriorating life quality for the next 20 years at least, and the Chinese people suffer, not the pro-democracy westerners.
That's true, the CCP just totally controls everything, that a change of government would probably see a collapse. I think a preferable scenario would be the party changing, maybe splitting up, as you say. Revolutions might get people's blood flowing but in the end, they usually result in something even worse replacing it and more chaos and conflict. The CCP still really needs to change a lot of things though.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:37 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
I hope CCP will collapse like **** asap then we can normalize our foreign relations with other countries and be accepted to UN.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I hope CCP will collapse like **** asap then we can normalize our foreign relations with other countries and be accepted to UN.
you hope so because you only care about the 20M people in Taiwan, and don't care if the 1.3B chinese starve or not.

Taiwan has been successful. I don't understand your urge for China to collapse just so Taiwan can be accepted by the UN. Even if it were, it is still a small country largely controled and protected by the United States. It is not like Taiwan suddenly becomes an independent Asian power.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,635 times
Whoever is power in the mainland, the status quo won't change about Taiwan. It will remain a sovereign part of China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you hope so because you only care about the 20M people in Taiwan, and don't care if the 1.3B chinese starve or not.

Taiwan has been successful. I don't understand your urge for China to collapse just so Taiwan can be accepted by the UN. Even if it were, it is still a small country largely controled and protected by the United States. It is not like Taiwan suddenly becomes an independent Asian power.

CCP's collapse doesn't necessarily lead to an extensive famine.CCP is a gross political black hole that does not respect basic human rights whatsoever.It's not like they have been doing nice stuffs to the world and their people.

And it's completely understandable for Taiwanese wanting CCP to collapse.What would you feel if there's a major power nearby and has always been trying to annex you?It's not like I am a big fan of UN or I expect Taiwan to suddenly become as powerful as Japan or as reputable as Canada if we gain independence,but the truth is PRC has long been suppressing our international status by pressuring other countries.

When the SARS was raging,Taiwan was a serious infected area,however China pressured WHO to not aiding Taiwan,and that's not the only example,there has been a ton actually.

We attend the Olympics by the name of Chinese Taipei,what kind of name is that?

We barely attend any kind of international organizations,if we want we need China's "consent" or it'll pressure other countries to boycott us.

Would the US do the same things to Taiwan?I don't think so.

And what's with the sudden myth of Taiwan being a sovereign part of China?We may be in the future,but not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia