Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:27 AM

142 posts, read 239,406 times

Advertisements

In terms of ethnicity/culture - ethnic groups, languages, religion, cultural customs, cuisine, as well as internationality, no. expats.

I would say the top 10:

1. Singapore

2. Dubai

3. Kuala Lumpur

4. Istanbul

5. Hong Kong

6. Shanghai

7. Mumbai

8. Manila

9. Beijing

10. Bangkok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
Malaysia is one of the multi-cultural countries in the world and not just black or white, we're talking about Muslims, Christians and Buddhists. How in the world can you make religion harmony out of these 3 religious sectors?

Take this for example, a muslim cannot join a non-muslim people when dining in a non-muslim restaurant. Right?

A bit off topic, but for me, this kind of setting is absolutley inconvenient.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:53 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
That's a good list, particularly at the top of it.

I think as it goes down the list, it gets more debateable if they are multicultural at all. But the ones on top are certainly multicultural.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:16 AM

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times
I think Tel Aviv and Pattaya should be in the top 10 instead of Beijing and Mumbai

Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 AM

546 posts, read 570,087 times
Are you guys blind to history? Manila is not the 8th most...

It is the top-most.

Manila had been settled by...

Arabs, Chinese, Indians, Malays, Americans, Latin-Americans...

Even Singapore and Hong Kong has never been settled by Latin-Americans...

Manila is obviously at the top.

Singapore does not have any Latin-Americans in it. Whereas the district of Cavite in Manila, where people speak Caviteño Chavacano are descended from Mexicans and Colombians.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:02 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,573 times
Most multicultural from international tourists visit:
Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket (most touristy cities of Thailand)
Macau
Shanghai
Siam Reap
Bali - city: Kuta, Ubud pretty much almost anywhere touristy, except Denpasar and its surrounding countryside which is not touristy.

Most multicultural society:
Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Malacca (any Malaysian cities with large Chinese and Indian population)
Singapore
Hong Kong
Dubai
Jerusalem, Tel Aviv (Full of Jews from various places and Palestinians)
Kathmandu (Indian and Tibetan living side by side, quiet diverse place but not as diverse as others)
Urumqi (Mongols, Hui, Han, and various ethnics living near to Russo and Central Asia border)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Are you guys blind to history? Manila is not the 8th most...

It is the top-most.

Manila had been settled by...

Arabs, Chinese, Indians, Malays, Americans, Latin-Americans...

Even Singapore and Hong Kong has never been settled by Latin-Americans...

Manila is obviously at the top.

Singapore does not have any Latin-Americans in it. Whereas the district of Cavite in Manila, where people speak Caviteño Chavacano are descended from Mexicans and Colombians.
Ummmmm Jakarta also have Arabs, Indian, Chinese, Dutch, Japanese and even more with international expat (Even North Koreans in the embassy), but i wouldn't call it a very "multicultural ones" since its still predominantly local and pretty much you wouldn't see that many foreigners. You can even add the Papuans too in the city.

Kuala Lumpur is on the top for me when it comes to society with huge Arabs, Pakistani, Cambodian etc migrants or Singapore with many expat from around the world. Even Dubai is very diverse place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Malaysia is one of the multi-cultural countries in the world and not just black or white, we're talking about Muslims, Christians and Buddhists. How in the world can you make religion harmony out of these 3 religious sectors?

Take this for example, a muslim cannot join a non-muslim people when dining in a non-muslim restaurant. Right?

A bit off topic, but for me, this kind of setting is absolutley inconvenient.
True even in Indonesia pork is sold next to halal stall... but well that's different rule they had, because they're Islamic nation. Tony Romas here is served with alcohol :P people who's more religious just don't order those.

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-06-2014 at 06:17 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
In terms of ethnicity/culture - ethnic groups, languages, religion, cultural customs, cuisine, as well as internationality, no. expats.

I would say the top 10:

1. Singapore

2. Dubai

3. Kuala Lumpur

4. Istanbul

5. Hong Kong

6. Shanghai

7. Mumbai

8. Manila

9. Beijing

10. Bangkok
4 Islanbul - basically full of Turks, there's minority of Armenians and Greek, but its definitely not that multicultural.
7 Mumbai - not multicultural, full of Indian, not that many tourists either or expat..
8 Manila - full of Filipinos, minority of Mestizo and expat, couldn't really call it that multicultural either.
9 Beijing - lots of tourists but still lack multicultural aspect in any way

Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
Manila ain't a multi-cultural, everybody knows that. It is predominantly Filipino Christians, others are just merely minority.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Manila is only multi-cultural when it comes to different Filipino ethnic groups, but I don't know if that counts. And there are a fair amount of Chinese and Muslim Filipinos. That's the extent to the multi-culturalness of Manila

Old 08-06-2014, 06:16 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
Mumbai is one of the most multicultural cities in Asia(however, it has nothing on places like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, or London). Dozens of languages are spoken there, most major world religions are well represented ( I'd say every, but Shintoism isn't well represented; but let's be honest, it isn't well represented anywhere outside of Japan), people from every part of India live there, and it has a fair number of expats. I'd place it in the top five in Asia.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 08-06-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia