Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 04:47 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times

Advertisements

Boring.

Next question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You'll definitely have the same feelings/issues in Singapore.

It's not a society well-known for going to find a girlfriend/wife. I mean, I'm sure people do that, but in any wealthier country, women have higher standards, etc.

People who are wife-hunting or girlfriend-hunting usually go for the cheaper countries, where most of the women see any American as a step up.
Well, the Singapore government was concerned about the low marrying rate (and birth rate) of educated people, so they set up the Social Development Unit (SDU), now called the Social Development Network (SDN) to encourage single people to socialize more and get married. They also offered financial incentives for educated graduate women to have more children.

The popular reception of this has been a bit mixed, to say the least.

That said, these are really for local Singaporeans, and don't involve foreigners.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:17 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
I have heard great things about the lifestyle and living in Singapore.

I am Asian-American male and thinking of moving abroad for a little bit, but later on down the road.
I was thinking of S. Korea, but my Korean is not completely fluent, and I have a Japanese lastname, so I may face discrimination there.

The lifestyle of living in the US sucks (but I thank the Lord that I was not born in Africa, N. Korea, or some dung pit in the middle east). The dating scene here sucks badly.

The social scene is not that great here, unless you're white, or black or even latino.

I have been to meet up groups, only to meet people once, and you never see them again. I work in the health care profession, and was wondering if any expats made the move to living in Singapore?
If you have money, Singapore is OK. If you have tons of money, it is pretty decent. If you do not have a lot of money, you will be no longer be in Singapore nor want to be there.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:04 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This message seems to say....if a person is rich and wealthy, they will like Singapore.

Well, if a person is rich and wealthy, they will find a great lifestyle in pretty much any rich and wealthy city, anywhere in the world.

Its unlikely that the rich and wealthy will struggle to find English menus anywhere in the world, it's not necessary to move to Singapore for English menus. You can find English menus in every upscale dining option in any country in the world.

Regarding Singapore women loving rich and wealthy people. Well, ALL women love rich and wealthy men. You don't have to move to Singapore as a rich and wealthy person to find interested women. You can be rich and wealthy anywhere in the world, and find women interested in money. Other countries are even well-known for gold digging, way more than Singapore.

The SPG's in Singapore are alive and well and looking for a prospective sugar daddy. Beware.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The SPG's in Singapore are alive and well and looking for a prospective sugar daddy. Beware.
SPG = sarong party girl. Supposedly they look for ang mos (white folks).

Old 08-18-2017, 12:30 PM

116 posts, read 191,873 times
Quote:
LOL! I was born and raised in Hawaii until high school. I don't like living there. Too small of a place, high cost of living, and I dont' know. It was really hard to find a girlfriend back in Hawaii. I would even meet Japanese exchange students, only to have them ghost out on me when they returned back to Japan.

All in all, I am thinking of moving and working in Singapore to find myself a girlfriend and hopefully eventually get married.

It has been a big challenge for me to find a simple girlfriend here in the US.

I have tried multiple online dating sites such as Eharmony, Match.com and Coffee Meets Bagel app. I have met women on these websites. However, they either eventually ghosted out on me, or weren't interested in me.

Sadly, there is the "white is right" mentality amongst a lot of the Asian and Asian-American women here in the US. Which is why I don't really like this country.

there are three Filipinas working in my department married to white/haole guys. There is also a Chinese girl, I thought she was single. But nope. She too is married a haole guy.
How about moving to other cities in the U.S. that have many Asian girls, such as LA or New York? I'd tend to agree with you many Asian/Asian-American women prefer to date outside of their race (usually a White-American) but not all women think that way. I personally know many, many Asia girls who only date/marriage with other Asians. So you might be surprised. And I'm speaking as an Asian-American female, btw.

Last edited by attisbons; 08-18-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 12:41 PM

116 posts, read 191,873 times
Quote:
I actually live outside of the Seattle area, and I have tried online dating here, and I have struggled to find a girlfriend.

I actually prefer to date and marry an East Asian women, to be honest. However, there is just too much white worshiping amongst the majority of the Asian women whom I have met online.

Hence, I am thinking, not that this is going to happen, of moving to an Asian country in hopes that I find a girlfriend and eventually marry.

I don't know, but I even struggled to even have a girlfriend in Hawaii. Again, it's "murrica" and sadly, a lot of the women in Hawaii also have the "white is right" mentality when it comes to dating and marriage.

I would like to try S. Korea, but my Korean is not that 100% fluent. My mom is also from Korea, so we travel there a lot. However, my dad is Japanese-American, and I have a Japanese lastname. Hence, I will be heavily discriminated against if I were to live in Korea. Let alone, even find a girl to date and marry there.
It's been awhile since I've lived in Korea but I was always under the impression that despite the ultra-nationalists that hate Japan, many Koreans prefer Japanese over other Asian ethnic groups, actually. Sure, there's bitterness and rivalry, but there's also a sense of respect and admiration for the work/moral ethic of the Japanese, as well as a vague sense of cultural similarity. No Korean would admit this outright, but there are surprisingly more than a few who feel this way (including myself).

Also, you're half Korean, if I understand you correctly. That should make it easier for you to adjust than say someone who's completely and utterly foreign. And you won't stand out physically either, since you're half Korean/Half Japanese.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
How about moving to other cities in the U.S. that have many Asian girls, such as LA or New York? I'd tend to agree with you many Asian/Asian-American women prefer to date outside of their race (usually a White-American) but not all women think that way. I personally know many, many Asia girls who only date/marriage with other Asians. So you might be surprised. And I'm speaking as an Asian-American female, btw.
I'd also suggest the San Francisco Bay Area as a possible destination. It's expensive as hell but you'd probably be able to move here with less trouble than going way over to Southeast Asia, and there would be less culture shock.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:09 PM

361 posts, read 398,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post

Well, I was first thinking of moving to another area of Puget Sound, moreso nearby downtown Seattle vicninity. I currently live in an area down south of Seattle that's predominantly a white area. Just living here for my work/job at this time.

But yes, I am definitely keeping the Bay Area as a possible place to relocate to in the future.

I have attended a college summer session couple years ago in the Bay Area and I LOVED it out there (minus the gay community).

Forget about Hawaii. I was born and raised there, and I have had no luck with the girls in Hawaii. I have done online dating here in the Seattle area, and although nothing gelled into a solid romantic relationship, at least I have had more luck meeting girls here compared to Hawaii (for some odd reason).

I don't like L.A. girls. People there tend to be fake and materialistic. The girls there only look at your job, your income, and the car that you drive.

Quote:
It's been awhile since I've lived in Korea but I was always under the impression that despite the ultra-nationalists that hate Japan, many Koreans prefer Japanese over other Asian ethnic groups, actually. Sure, there's bitterness and rivalry, but there's also a sense of respect and admiration for the work/moral ethic of the Japanese, as well as a vague sense of cultural similarity. No Korean would admit this outright, but there are surprisingly more than a few who feel this way (including myself).

Also, you're half Korean, if I understand you correctly. That should make it easier for you to adjust than say someone who's completely and utterly foreign. And you won't stand out physically either, since you're half Korean/Half Japanese.
Yes, I'm mixed Korean and Japanese. I'm more into my Korean roots as my mom is from Korea and my dad was born here in the US. I speak some Korean, I'd say I'm 70% fluent. No one knows I'm part Japanese until they learn about my lastname. Otherwise, I can blend in easily in Korea. =) I was also contemplating changing my lastname to my mom's lastname.

I definitely feel more vibrant and happy when visiting Korea. But the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence when you are only visiting a place, and I have to keep telling myself that when I have the urge to leave the US and to relocate to S. Korea. It's a totally different story if I work there - Different work culture, more work hours, more stressful living, etc.

Hence, the reason why I was looking at a different Asian country to relocate to in order to find a potential future wife, and Singapore popped up on my radar when doing the research. =)

Quote:
I'd also suggest the San Francisco Bay Area as a possible destination. It's expensive as hell but you'd probably be able to move here with less trouble than going way over to Southeast Asia, and there would be less culture shock.
Yes, a place where I would consider moving to. But I first want to check out the northern part of my city by moving up there near Seattle. Otherwise, yes, I will definitely consider relocating to Nor cal.

Last edited by SunAndRain808; 08-27-2017 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,123 times
Yes, It is a great stuff for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia