Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,140,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
What do you atheist think of Jesus Christ? Do you like his teachings on mount of sermon? Do you have Jesus statue or images of him in your car or house?

I myself is an atheist, but I still admire him. May sound silly, but I do have Jesus picture in my house and a cross in my bedroom even though I do not believe in god(s). I do not see Jesus as god, but as an amazing person. Even Gandhi agreed with it.

I hate religion, but love Jesus.
Other fictional characters I admire.

Merlin
King Arthur
Gandalf
Superman
Sherlock Holmes
Atticus Finch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 05:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
No person can figure out how to stop war...Christ had the answer..."Love your enemy"...THAT is the only thing that works.
That is like saying Nancy Reagan had the answer, "Just say no."

Saying and doing are immensely different things. Jesus had an answer which might have been suitable in some situations, but would clearly be useless in others. Gandhi could get away with passive resistance in India because their British overlords ultimately did have a conscience, and did have a conflict between what they were doing in India and their supposed subscription to Christian ethics.

Passive resistance would have been a complete bust in the Third Reich, the Nazis would have loved it, made their job of killing them all less complicated. Loving the SS while they loaded you onto a cattle car and sent you off to a death camp, would not have changed your destination or destiny, nor that of any others.

Last edited by Grandstander; 06-05-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 PM

185 posts, read 193,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post

Merlin
King Arthur
Gandalf
Superman
Sherlock Holmes
Atticus Finch
Off topic. This is about Jesus Christ.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:10 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
No. I do not believe in any god or gods. I ask what you think of Jesus as philosopher and human being.
Yet on another thread you started, you were saying that in god we trust should be on every credit card, bank, post office etc, to promote religion.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 PM

185 posts, read 193,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yet on another thread you started, you were saying that in god we trust should be on every credit card, bank, post office etc, to promote religion.
Just because I am an atheist doesn't mean I am against religion and God in the public square. I myself do not like organized religion, but I am not against it either.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Just because I am an atheist doesn't mean I am against religion and God in the public square. I myself do not like organized religion, but I am not against it either.
The question is....why would you wish to promote that in which you do not believe? That makes no sense. I think that you need to address that before this thread goes any further because it raises a legitimate suspicion that you are actually here as a stealth zealot for a divine Jesus.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:55 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,941,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm thinking you aren't an atheist.
Did him starting his post with a question for "you atheist[s]" tip you off ?

I think it's possible for non-believers to admire some of the teachings of Jesus Christ, but many of his teachings only make sense to believers.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,941,029 times
Quote:

Not being against religion is quite different from wanting to promote it.

Why would an atheist be in favor of promoting Christianity and religion ? What's the point of promoting something that you believe is false ?

And why would an atheist refer to his/her fellow atheists as "you atheist[s]" ?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
I am not against religion, but I don't want the government to PROMOTE it, like you seem to want.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post

Merlin
King Arthur
Gandalf
Superman
Sherlock Holmes
Atticus Finch
Moderator cut: attacking thinks of the historic Christ as "fictional" - Some people have never bothered to do their research - Christ was not Merlin nor Superman ...He was a human being that live on earth...just like you and just like me...The difference is that after 2000 years people still talk about him - Once we are gone people will stop talking about us in 2 weeks...we are more fictional than Christ.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-06-2013 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism