Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Retired University Professor Emeritus.
Thats awesome! What was your field of study. I am in project management as well as the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
Well I guess we would need something to chat about, what does everyone do as a profession?
I run a consultancy doing software architecture & development.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Chatting with the heathens? I'm in if you'll take a non-heathen.

How did I miss that y'all were here?
Come on in DewDropInn! ....

Quote:
Well I guess we would need something to chat about, what does everyone do as a profession?
Ha! Well I currently work for free since I'm on a H-4 visa (wife of H1-B visa holder) which means I'm not allowed a social security number and not allowed to take paid work (shame ).
So I currently work voluntarily for a fundraising office, organising events for art in education and I teach ceramics to adults and kids for free!
In previous lives before moving to the US I started out as a graphic designer before going into teaching and ran a Technology and Design Department for 10 years. My degree is in Design for Education (books, educational materials etc). Gave all that up when I had kids and set up a ceramics business which I'd previously done as a hobby. Sold it when we moved here.

I think most of the regular contributors on here are retired now so it would be interesting to find out what people did before they retired. I'd also be interested to find out what people do in their spare time.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I do understand. I do not intend to insult or appear chauvinistic, Cruithne . . . but I must admit that it is sometimes more difficult for females to assert their authority in withdrawing from and shutting down such encounters. I am an imposing male with a strong presence and unequivocal demeanor. I seldom have any difficulty in asserting my preferences in social encounters. My wife on the other hand is frequently locked into encounters she would prefer to end. However, she is routinely and always gracious and eventually successful in doing so without malice or offense.
Maybe it's more difficult because we (females) are conditioned to be nice. A nice refusal isn't always enough to get a JW off your doorstep. However, I've managed it fine, being nice. I usually tell them "thank you for stopping by, but religion is not for me. Would you like a cold water bottle before you go?" Usually, no issues. Works great.

The problem comes when they ignore my sign, ignore my words, and then they get rude or agitated when I refuse. Go away nicely is one thing, become rude to me on my doorstep, on my property... then it's on like Donkey Kong. I become a freaked out alpha female... like a Chimpanzee that shake trees, makes a lot of noise, screams, and throws things. Sometimes these door knockers brings out the crazy in me.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:23 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Maybe it's more difficult because we (females) are conditioned to be nice. A nice refusal isn't always enough to get a JW off your doorstep. However, I've managed it fine, being nice. I usually tell them "thank you for stopping by, but religion is not for me. Would you like a cold water bottle before you go?" Usually, no issues. Works great.

The problem comes when they ignore my sign, ignore my words, and then they get rude or agitated when I refuse. Go away nicely is one thing, become rude to me on my doorstep, on my property... then it's on like Donkey Kong. I become a freaked out alpha female... like a Chimpanzee that shake trees, makes a lot of noise, screams, and throws things. Sometimes these door knockers brings out the crazy in me.
Hello there, mommabear!

I suspect your comment about crazy behavior might actually be a good deterrent for JWs. Haven't tried that one!!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Maybe it's more difficult because we (females) are conditioned to be nice.
Not me, mmm-mmm ... nice? Is that a word? I thought it was just a city in France.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I enjoyed the first episode of Cosmos.
As did I. (Yes, there were way too many commercials.) Though I always get a woozy feeling when I try and comprehend how vast the universe it. I got that feeling a couple of times during the program as things were being explained.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Moderator cut: to refresh the intent of the OP

I just want to remind you that the op did not intend this for a debate thread. If you want to discuss/debate a topic please do so in a separate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Hi all,
I have long wanted to start a chat thread, to discuss anything and nothing with my fellow atheists and agnostics, where conversations may happily go off topic and people can yammer on about what they like (within the TOS of course ).
Not a thread for debate really, but for events in your lives, hobbies, humorous anecdotes, frustrations, etc.

So here it is!

I hope people use the chat thread in the spirit with which it was intended so I thought I'd paste as a reminder from the TOS:

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults.

Looking forward to seeing some of you here.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,378 times
Quote:
Graduate student at Dartmouth College. Hopefully will be teaching at a college in 2 years, if I can spend more time writing a thesis and less time trolling City Data.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Moderator cut: to refresh the intent of the OP

I just want to remind you that the op did not intend this for a debate thread. If you want to discuss/debate a topic please do so in a separate thread.
Sorry about that. I guess I got carried away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism