Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 PM

591 posts, read 928,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Become a televangelist. There is no finer proof of the adage that a fool and his money are soon parted.
All very true. Although I would love to take stupid peoples money, my mother wouldn't be very happy with me. A slap on the wrists would be in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 05:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,566,202 times
Sounds like a good business plan to me, and I really like dogs, they are so much smarter, nicer and less judgmental than their theists owners.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Bit of a moral question for you. Do you feel it's wrong for an atheist to own a clothing company that sells christian graphic t-shirts and other accessories?
Nope. More power to him. I'm all for free enterprise.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
That seems to me to be a little bit different. It is not being paid to Evangelize religion which is in fact the only objection I would have to 'profiting from religion' (1) but rather to get the religious to put their money where their mouth is. Of course, we Heathen hellspawn do not believe for a moment that these bods are going to be raptured, but when it doesn't happen, I would bet a large amount that they will put their false prediction out of their minds and get on with preaching the next one.

The similarity to failed end of the world predictions will not escape the mentally aware.

And thereby hangs a tool. I have mooted before that, When Penn Gillet is elected president and the tanks flying the blank flag of Atheism rumble down the ...uhh.. ...the approach to the White House, one of the first laws to be enacted would be that anyone making an end of world prediction should be fined a swingeing amount as a fine for spreading alarm with baseless rumours. Effectively, this initiative is the same thing.

I am presuming that the money is to be paid up front by the rapturists and is non - refundable.

If so, it is getting them to invest more in their claims than an easy come easy go declaration. They will immediately be asked just how much in terms of hard dosh do they really believe this stuff. And, if they do, and the money is gone, then a few of these failed predictions and, like the doom - mongers, they will begin to see that they cannot afford to trumpet such stuff and expect get away with it scot free.

If of course, they refuse to see that their pets are cared for when they get raptured, then it looks either callous and mean of them on the one hand or, on the other that they know they'd lose this particular bet that the rapture is going to happen.

(1) I was going to say as following from my previous post, that I would be content to work in a bookshop that had a section on religion, though I might grit my teeth at Creationist books appearing on the shelves. But then, I might disagree with what they say, but would defend to the death their right to say it.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM

12,492 posts, read 2,985,166 times
It's certainly not illegal. It's fulfilling a marketing niche. Some wouldn't want to do so for reasons of conscience, but others might not mind making the dough. It's just up to the business owners' preferences.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 PM

5,552 posts, read 3,962,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
From the linked article:

So Camping predicted the end of the world for May 21, 2011, and it failed to take place. Now two and a half years later, if Camping were to announce that the end of the world will really take place November 5th, 2015, no one is going to believe him.

Jesus predicted the end of the world within the lifetimes of his audience, and two thousand years later we are still waiting. Yet the credibility of Jesus remains undamaged in the eyes of millions.
Some of the more loyal imbibers of the Kool-Aid would probably believe in a 11/5/15 mass extinction, if I had to guess. I think I recall apocalypse forecasters who've been wrong on more than one occasion but still managed to retain a following--I could be wrong, though. Not a subject I'm interested to research at the moment

Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Morality is subjective. I'm with my fellow Matt and fellow northerner on my feelings on this--conflicted at best. mordant as usual wrote a valuable response. Many other 'merican respondents are predictably all too happy to play the profiteer.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
When Penn Gillet is elected president
Lol. Jesse Ventura in 2032

Old 03-01-2014, 08:45 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,624,054 times
I don't think the problem is his moral compass, I think it's his customers. When they find out he is an atheist, he might encounter a boycott out in front of his store. But hey, on the bright side at least he can serve gays in clear conscious. lol

I'm getting new business ideas though.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,624,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Lol. Jesse Ventura in 2032
fingers crossed for either!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism