Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 06:52 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Atheists tend to hate themselves. Therefore they perceive that everyone else hates them. They don't. The only feel sorry for/pity them.
You posted in the wrong thread.

Lying for Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:15 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That is hysterical!
I suppose. It wasn't funny at the time. In this sea of conservatism there is a large state university with faculty and students from every ethnicity and culture. I was in a United grocery checkout line and the cashier was "God blessing" and " praise Jesus"-ing everybody as they went through. I asked her to stop, she said she wouldn't, so I went up the management foodchain, via phone and email, until I got an appropriate response.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Atheists tend to hate themselves. Therefore they perceive that everyone else hates them. They don't. The only feel sorry for/pity them.
That statement is not, IMO, accurate. I think being rational and observant, and having the courage to confront the masses of folks who disagree, is a profound act of self-respect.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:29 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
That's an odd statement. I am not an atheist, yet I neither hate them nor feel sorry for them. The atheists who are my family and friends don't hate themselves, either.

Sometimes I suspect people just type whatever comes out of their fingertips, sit back, read it and say "YEAH, that sounds good, makes no sense, but it sounds good, so I'll post it."

Atheism is a lot easier for me to understand than somebody who does THAT.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:31 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In truth, the more aggressive atheists are cut from the same cloth as the most ardent Bible beaters. All of them tend to be smug little know-it-alls.
This is true. Those types always have to be up in the air about something or another.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
This is true. Those types always have to be up in the air about something or another.
As I said before, being a 'know -it -all' may be irritating, but what really matters is whether what you 'know' is supported by evidence or just faith. Deprecating the assured mindset is an irrelevance.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
As I said before, being a 'know -it -all' may be irritating, but what really matters is whether what you 'know' is supported by evidence or just faith. Deprecating the assured mindset is an irrelevance.
Yes, and it makes for a better looking corpse.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:41 AM

50,829 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
That statement is not, IMO, accurate. I think being rational and observant, and having the courage to confront the masses of folks who disagree, is a profound act of self-respect.
I agree with you Kara. As for me, I look back on my long career in education with great pride and satisfaction. While not perfect, I have led a rather exemplary life in terms of how I treat people. In fact, in a dispute with our local union rep and me (as principal), the head of the school system's union said to our local union rep, "If you can't get along with [me], then who is it you can get along with?" Yet today, at nearly 70, I tutor Buddhist monks. No self-hate here, although like anyone, I realize I have my shortcomings and faults. And, btw, other than my feelings about religion, I'm the same person now that I was when I was still a christian. These put-downs by christians are actually an attempt to make themselves feel better by misplaced pity for others.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:25 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Yes, and it makes for a better looking corpse.
I have no idea what that was supposed to mean.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:34 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your ignorance about cosmology is astronomical. They date our universe at 13.7 billion years, but they do NOT argue it came from nothing. But apparently you are smarter than those cosmologists.

We have 7.7 billion people that demonstrate intelligent beings do not exist for no reason. We have several thousand gods that demonstrate people invent gods all the time. That is a large amount of data for atheism and against the idea of gods.

People who think 'we do not know' are the ones who are fooling themselves.
My my, you are a touchy one.
Ok, let's back up a minute to reconsider the possibilities. If you are of the opinion that it is impossible for something to come from nothing, then you are left with the only remaining possibility - that there is no end or beginning and it has always been.
What is your proof that the universe has always been vs a God who has always been that created the universe?
And is there another option not considered here that I haven't thought of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism