Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:46 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,354,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You ever heard the old saw, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."?

If something works, there isn't a need to delve into the why of it.
If we lived by that rule we would all be living in caves cooking over fire pits, and picking ticks off our partners backs. I think if it works than we have a starting point to start the improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 03:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
The wheel, the inclined plane, the lever, all very efficient.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:33 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
Originally Posted by cncracer
Quote:
If we lived by that rule we would all be living in caves cooking over fire pits, and picking ticks off our partners backs. I think if it works than we have a starting point to start the improvements.
Define improvements.
Is it an improvement that man, because of modern science, is now able to affect the world on a global scale?

We're now able to fish the oceans empty, wipe a whole nation of the earth with just 1 bomb, and create dangerous 'manmade' viruses.
So far I don't see any improvement, simply because man still can't control his most basic impulses.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
That's a valid question. However, the point really is as Kramer said

"Why? Because not everything in life is meant to be quantified and studied."

and "if it ain't broke..." It's essentially someone arguing against all knowledge and study, not because it doesn't make us happier (overfished seas aside, I would not want to go back to the 1700s and their wretched dentistry, not to mention the religion thing) but because it challenges dearly held whacky supernatural beliefs of various kinds.

As to the problems of overfished seas and viruses, I suggest you look back to a world where plagues from the black death to cholera raged from the medieval to the 19th century and Influenza was killer and we had no answers.

True, there was plenty of fish in the sea but famine was endemic on land. There is no need for anyone to starve except in those wonderful countries which turn their backs on the questionable advances of science and prefer the simple life of poor administration, poor education, poor harvests and continual warfare.

I have little patience with those who live cosily in this world that technological advance has given and do nothing but sigh for a simple, healthy and problem - free golden age which never ever existed.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by AREQUIPA
Quote:
As to the problems of overfished seas and viruses, I suggest you look back to a world where plagues from the black death to cholera raged from the medieval to the 19th century and Influenza was killer and we had no answers.
True, but if you do not take the Humanist point of view (forget that you're a human) the earth was in a much healthier state then than it is now.
Nor would it have the threat of humanity extinguishing every other form of life it finds irrelevant for man's survival.

I'm not anti-science; I just acknowledge that science (and knowledge in general) is a 2-edged sword.
And I don't believe that science is dangerous, but that man is much too easily corrupted by power & greed.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Back to the IQ assertion for a moment: most academics are apostate or atheistic because: most academics are apostate or atheistic. They were influenced by those that came before them and from whom they sought approval/advancement. You will not find a tenured professor in a major university that is a professing Christian. He/she would never be allowed get tenure from the atheist club of academia. You won't necessarily find the highest IQs there either.

Mensa member survey:

Christian
Catholic: 21.4%
Protestant: 17%
Anglican: 9.6%
Unspecified Christian: 5.9%
TOTAL: 53.9%
Religious - Non-Christian
Jewish: 2.3%
Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu: .6%
Unconventional: 6.1%
TOTAL: 9.0%
Other
Agnostic: 6.2%
Atheist: 5.5%
Skeptic, misc. against: 5.7%
None, unaffiliated, lapsed: 5.1%
Undecided, searching, sometimes: 4.7%
Humanist, individualist, life, nature, hedonist, eclectic, etc: 5.4%
Ambiguous, unclassifiable: 4.5%
TOTAL: 37.1%

Last edited by Bideshi; 12-02-2010 at 03:58 AM..

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 AM

It just then is too bad that havin' a high IQ doesn't prevent a person from making the most stupid mistakes.
I guess that is because (a high) IQ doesn’t have any relevance to having wisdom or experience.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:36 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,187 times
Quote:
You will not find a tenured professor in a major university that is a professing Christian.
Complete and utter BS.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bideshi
Quote:
You will not find a tenured professor in a major university that is a professing Christian.
Maybe only in America, but I guess that wouldn’t be the case in the Netherlands?
Although I've to admit that I've never looked into it.
I guess that's because I’m not an academic so find the academic world irrelevant.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Complete and utter BS.
There are doubtless rare exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism