Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 PM

339 posts, read 1,169,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
We have laws against those crimes with severe punishment for them. No religion needed.

The pledge of allegiance god reference was inserted in the 1950s. It was not original to the pledge. It was the same period when civil rights protests began. A lot of people don't realize how recent this god insertion really is.
I was surprised to learn of the very recent origins of the religiosity of political life in the US.

It is not surprising, however, that the US was the birthplace of protestant fundamentalism, with the separation of church and state which allowed many religions to flourish, the modern consumer oriented economy, the relative freedoms enjoyed by citizens, the influx of immigration and increasing globalisation all, historically speaking, helped to create a 'perfect storm' in which christian fundamentalism flourished.

The uncertainties of modern life were (and are) threatening, because everything is so relative and contingent, and one reaction to that is a desire for absolutes which provide the believer with certainty - which can of course be found in fundamentalism of ANY kind.

Then it probably follows that modern-day US leaders are expected by a large proportion of their constituency to openly adhere to the christian faith, and that political and religious life are intertwined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Because most people wrongly equate religion with morality. They think that if you are an atheist, that you're just one smidgen away from being a baby-raping cannibalistic axe murderer.
hey now, what's a little cannibalistic axe murdering among friends, it's one of the ways to break the boredom of a sunday night.- more exciting than bingo!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
I was surprised to learn of the very recent origins of the religiosity of political life in the US.

It is not surprising, however, that the US was the birthplace of protestant fundamentalism, with the separation of church and state which allowed many religions to flourish, the modern consumer oriented economy, the relative freedoms enjoyed by citizens, the influx of immigration and increasing globalisation all, historically speaking, helped to create a 'perfect storm' in which christian fundamentalism flourished.

The uncertainties of modern life were (and are) threatening, because everything is so relative and contingent, and one reaction to that is a desire for absolutes which provide the believer with certainty - which can of course be found in fundamentalism of ANY kind.

Then it probably follows that modern-day US leaders are expected by a large proportion of their constituency to openly adhere to the christian faith, and that political and religious life are intertwined.
Evangelism was invented in the early 19th century. A lot of of our modern denominations arose in the mid-late 19th century with some ideas that changed what Christianity meant. It seemed to arise with the advent of the industrial revolution.

I just heard an old Gunsmoke radio episode from the 1950's where the story was a vicious fundamentalist who was capturing hapless people and torturing/murdering them in the name of god. He went after Chester because he (at Matt Dillon's direction) stopped a murder they happened upon. Ended up with the creep's son killing him just as he was about to chop off Chester's hand. So there was some backlash and horror at the time our Congress got all religious on us - same period as the McCarthey hearings.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:28 PM

339 posts, read 1,169,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Evangelism was invented in the early 19th century. A lot of of our modern denominations arose in the mid-late 19th century with some ideas that changed what Christianity meant. It seemed to arise with the advent of the industrial revolution.
Absolutely. There is no co-incidence there...fundamentalism was not born in a vacuum. The industrial revolution gave birth to the modern city and was the first time populations had migrated en-masse. So, if you think about it, most of our ancestors, as little as a few hundred years ago would have likely spent their entire lives in one town/village. Their world-view (probably religious) was accordingly very narrow, everyone they knew looked liked them and generally believed what they believed. They knew little of the world outside the range which they could easily travel. They were not constantly exposed to new ideas, new choices, large numbers of strangers, new threats, etc. In short, the world was a much smaller and more simple place with a lot less choice but also a lot less uncertainty.

The industrial revolution changed all that and that is still going on today with increasing globalisation. We live in anonymous cities, we are exposed to many very different cultures and lifestyles, we have information about everything at our fingertips, our senses are often in overdrive, we can travel where we like, communicate with many different people and we are always making choices. The perceived threats have multiplied exponentially and for some, retreating into a world of fundamentalist religion is the way they can deal with this onslaught. Many fundamentalists have a very embattled viewpoint which, I think, is the result of all this uncertainty in the world. Their belief system is constantly under threat so they react by retreating into it further and adhering to it even more strongly.

Our ancestors had no conception of or need for fundamentalist religion because, generally, their belief system were not under such assault.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
When I enter the voting booth, I am voting for the person I feel will be the best for this country..His/her political party, gender, race, religion or non religion have no part in my choice..his past behavior towards those issues though would certainly have been looked into before I made my decision though

Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM

7 posts, read 9,427 times
I have wondered that myself, about having an atheist president. Unfornutately, I do not think it will happen in my lifetime, any more that a gay or woman president.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:10 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
When I enter the voting booth, I am voting for the person I feel will be the best for this country..His/her political party, gender, race, religion or non religion have no part in my choice..his past behavior towards those issues though would certainly have been looked into before I made my decision though
Exactly.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:15 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
We have had one atheist president or as close as you can come to Atheist. Abe Lincoln was as anti religious as they come, and hammered the Christian church in many of his letters. I have read several copies of his letters, and interviews with his associates who recognized his views and tried to buffer him from public attack before and after his death. Knowing this has always made me feel good when is rated as our best President.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedshoesGreenlaces View Post
I have wondered that myself, about having an atheist president. Unfornutately, I do not think it will happen in my lifetime, any more that a gay or woman president.
I don't think we're so far away from having a woman president. I don't think most Americans would have a problem voting for a woman. I do think that people would have a problem voting for an atheist or a gay person, though. If we put together a list of the most socially acceptable minorities, gays and atheists would be at the bottom, I think.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
We have had one atheist president or as close as you can come to Atheist. Abe Lincoln was as anti religious as they come, and hammered the Christian church in many of his letters. I have read several copies of his letters, and interviews with his associates who recognized his views and tried to buffer him from public attack before and after his death. Knowing this has always made me feel good when is rated as our best President.
And he was supposedly the best president, right?? How can people still have a problem with atheists after Abe..come on.

Of course, religion wasn't a huge thing back in those days. What exactly was it that made people in the U.S. so religious? The Great Depression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism