Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,625 times

Advertisements

The good things? Seriously, EVERYTHING!

- living by my own rules/morals/creeds
- no sin
- no obligatory holidays to celebrate. I celebrate what I want, how I want to
- no church (BEST ONE!!!)
- no heaven or hell
- no judgement day
- pre-marital sex
- I can be any sexual orientation I want
- I answer to no one but myself
- I'm free to think how I want to and explore whatever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
The good things? Seriously, EVERYTHING!

- living by my own rules/morals/creeds
- no sin
- no obligatory holidays to celebrate. I celebrate what I want, how I want to
- no church (BEST ONE!!!)
- no heaven or hell
- no judgement day
- pre-marital sex
- I can be any sexual orientation I want
- I answer to no one but myself
- I'm free to think how I want to and explore whatever
What was the date of that...not too long since.

Certainly I like the removal of imposed creed/dogma/beliefs and can start from scratch if I want to. I can begin by believing nothing and no -one can say I have to believe this or that just because they say so.

In coming to conclusions the pros and cons are what matter, not 'you should do this because I say so'.

There's law of course. But that's like gravity. I'm stuck with it. and I have to accept that I have no better way of keeping the thugs from running the place. I even have to concede that the churches have a place in social concerns, though they have been slipping off the high moral ground recently and the social concern and aid is no longer their monopoly. I expect that increasingly the reasons for keeping their funny -hatted dignitaries in a job will look ever more flimsy.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:28 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,326,864 times
none of the guilt ridden, angsty feelings everytime you do or say something...
you do things(like helping someone) because you want to, not because there's a prize attached or some creature tells you to..
churches are just architecturally and acoustically beautiful buildings ...
all humans equal, one religion is not better than another...
everyone takes responsibility for their own actions....

Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,184 times
I'm in between angostic and deist. I use to be Athiest when I was younger. I can't take any type of religious writing seriously. I can not believe something written so long ago has remained the same...its like playing Telephone over thousands of years or hundreds depending on the religion.

However, I would like to believe there is something about there. I think The Founding Fathers had sound logic with the Watchmaker Theory. Plus, I'm a gambling man. There is no good reason to be Atheist if you play Pascal's Wager.

I do get extremely angry when religion A makes fun of religion B. I have the utmost respect for all religions until they say I'm going to hell if I don't believe what they believe. I had some Mormons knock my door a few weeks ago. It was pretty hot and I really didn't care what they had to say but I wasn't rude to them. I saw they were sweating so I gave some bottled water. What they have to do sucks and I know they get alot of crap knocking on peoples door. I come from a mixed religious family. I find I have alot more issues Christianity compared to Islam. The only religion I have no respect for is Catholicism.

One thing I do like about church when I have gone the few times in my life is the sense of community. I hated seating thru service but it was real fun afterwards hanging out with friends.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM

51 posts, read 122,360 times
Default a deeply spiritual atheist

I was born a religious Hindu, studied in a Muslim school and have considered becoming a Catholic and a Buddhist nun resp. at different instances in my life. This was 20 years ago. I have found my peace, freedom and fervent devotion in atheism.

A few reasons why I stopped searching the divine being who masterminds the world and my puny inconsequential life:

- too much Moderator cut: deleted misery in the world. What kind of a sadistic god do people worship, and what kind of egomaniac god 'conditionally' bestows gifts? Heck I love my dogs more unconditionally than his omniscient greatness -lol!

- policing my own actions (I know if I am causing hurt, that it translates to a sinful action in universal language), thereby actually taking responsibility rather than doing wrong actions while fully aware, and then seeking forgiveness from some fictional being.

- open mindedness in the truest sense, with other religions and other beings' spiritual/intellectual evolution. Religious people simply can't do that. They are too angry most of the time to do that

- ability to see the same people (most of the time right away and, at other times, when clouded in ignorance: only after reflection and due ponderance) underneath different skin colors - driven by joy/sorrow, happiness/fear, desire/aversion. Universal love can only be learned with universal acceptance of oneness. I cannot imagine the stifling mold of religions: wear these kind of clothes, do these rituals, show off purity like that and bingo - you are haloed!

- the freedom from wait for good things to happen at the willy-nilly whim of providence. I make my own destiny, here and now.

- freedom from judgment of sexual orientation. Gay people have as much right to be miserable....

- I am secure.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-14-2010 at 05:53 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM

A hindu - born atheist who can post Moderator cut: orphaned ' misery'. Welcome!

Last edited by june 7th; 06-14-2010 at 05:54 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 PM

51 posts, read 122,360 times
Default Thanks Arequipa!

Some other adjectives I work with - beer-guzzling and pugilistic. Not bad at all for the coy shy lash-batting Indian lass eh?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
The best thing about it is that I don't have to accept any absurdities 'on faith', so whatever damage is done to my brain can be done by myself.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondesofmonroe View Post
Some other adjectives I work with - beer-guzzling and pugilistic. Not bad at all for the coy shy lash-batting Indian lass eh?
How's your lash - batting average?

As to the disease question, which has not yet been addressed, putting on my theist hat, I'd say it was all done by God (who does all evil - it says so in the Bible) because we (our distant ancestors, that is) SINNED. And we deserve all we get. And the point is that we can be cured if we pray faithfully enough. If we don't get cured then we didn't have enough Faith.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,326,864 times
that's right Arequipa, all those people dying of cancer(just to name one illness) everyday, didn't try hard enough and didn't love the deity enough..or he wanted it that way....whichever, it's all up to the deity whether we live or suffer or not...but if we pray enough...I'm getting a headache here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism