Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,638 times

Advertisements

For atheists:
1. No stifling guilt. No judging others.
2. Can hang around people who tend to generally be more questioning and logical - makes for livelier conversations
3. Associate with people who tend to be more moral but do not rub phony morality on someone's face
4. Save time - get to sleep in late Sunday mornings, no time wasting on trying to convert others, etc
5. Enjoy life here and now on earth - there is no heaven or hell
6. We are right - why waste time one something else. We have the satisfaction of being true to ourselves by following our own brain/gut and not some handed-down myth.

Last edited by calmdude; 04-03-2009 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:50 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,158 times
good things about atheism:

1. atheism is a reliance on the facts, which are things that exist. Atheists don't believe in things which are fiction and have no bearing on truth.

2. Atheism lets someone live in the real world so that they give their time and energy to real people and real things rather than pursuing fantasylands and superstitious folly.

3. Atheism saves the 'soul' from the mental tyranny that imprisons a believer.

4. Atheism lets someone form morality based on critical thinking rather than abiding by archaic dogma.

5. Atheism lets someone be tolerant of people who have alternative lifestyles without thinking that they need to 'save them from their sins.'

6. Suffering makes more sense in atheism. When someone suffers, it isn't because of 'higher purpose,' it's just because sh** happens. Someone doesn't have to ask themselves if they didn't pray enough or if god decided to smite them because they weren't doing something godly.

7. Atheism makes someone freer to pursue science and philospohy without having constraints on what someone must accept or reject.

8. Atheism lets someone find their own mneaning and purpose in life instead of having it dictated to them.

9. Atheism lets someone save themselves from hardship rather than waiting for some imaginary friend to do it for them.

10. Atheism lets someone use their brain rather than having someone else use it for them.

11. Life on earth is too short and too precious to waste time on supernatural nonsense. Atheism lets someone use their life to gain fulfillment rather waiting to get to fantasy world.

12. Atheism lets someone live a peaceful life instead of spreading suffering, war and destruction(not that all religious folk do such things) because someone doesn't accept a certain set of beliefs or moral prescriptions.

13. In atheism, life isn't made into some sort of test where if someone doesn't pass then they'll burn for eternity.

14. Atheism doesn't denigrate humanity into being corrupt and evil unless they accept some phony baloney god.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 PM

49 posts, read 95,008 times
I agree and gives you the freedom to think for yourself and not be judged because you view the situation differently. I now know i have found that agnostic/atheism is for me and i feel great about it and i accept it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
good things about atheism:

1. atheism is a reliance on the facts, which are things that exist. Atheists don't believe in things which are fiction and have no bearing on truth.

2. Atheism lets someone live in the real world so that they give their time and energy to real people and real things rather than pursuing fantasylands and superstitious folly.

3. Atheism saves the 'soul' from the mental tyranny that imprisons a believer.

4. Atheism lets someone form morality based on critical thinking rather than abiding by archaic dogma.

5. Atheism lets someone be tolerant of people who have alternative lifestyles without thinking that they need to 'save them from their sins.'

6. Suffering makes more sense in atheism. When someone suffers, it isn't because of 'higher purpose,' it's just because sh** happens. Someone doesn't have to ask themselves if they didn't pray enough or if god decided to smite them because they weren't doing something godly.

7. Atheism makes someone freer to pursue science and philospohy without having constraints on what someone must accept or reject.

8. Atheism lets someone find their own mneaning and purpose in life instead of having it dictated to them.

9. Atheism lets someone save themselves from hardship rather than waiting for some imaginary friend to do it for them.

10. Atheism lets someone use their brain rather than having someone else use it for them.

11. Life on earth is too short and too precious to waste time on supernatural nonsense. Atheism lets someone use their life to gain fulfillment rather waiting to get to fantasy world.

12. Atheism lets someone live a peaceful life instead of spreading suffering, war and destruction(not that all religious folk do such things) because someone doesn't accept a certain set of beliefs or moral prescriptions.

13. In atheism, life isn't made into some sort of test where if someone doesn't pass then they'll burn for eternity.

14. Atheism doesn't denigrate humanity into being corrupt and evil unless they accept some phony baloney god.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:58 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakosy View Post
To be an agnostic comes after a long time of soul search. You read the philosophies of different religions and come to understand that there is no particular reason to believe in any religion. There is no conclusive scientific proof for the existence of God or any supernatural power. Atheism by itself is a religion without any valid logic! Based on the information and knowledge available today the only choice we have is to take a neutral stand point, which means we have no idea whether there is a deity or he or she is just a fantasy of our imagination required to control the society.
I am with you a long way except for atheism being a religion. I can understand why that is a tempting thing to say because it can be regarded as a 'belief - system', though not having any tenets or rites. However, it is actually no more than not having a belief in any god or gods. It really is no more than that.

You say: "There is no conclusive scientific proof for the existence of God or any supernatural power". Correct. That results in not knowing whether
there is a god or not (agnosticism). It is then a question of looking at the knowledge position on gods and seeing what the belief position would be as regards what you don't know exists. Do you believe in it or not - until some good evidence is presented?

Over to you.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I'm agnostic, as well. It means to not possess spiritual knowledge.
OK, I am an atheist, this means that I see no reason to believe in any of the thousands of dieties. I believe that all gods are mythological. An agnostic says that the existence or non-existence of any/all of the gods is unknowable and is with-holding either belief or disbelief until more information is available. The christian says that there is only one god and all the others are false. I disbelieve in one more god than the christian does.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
It feels good to live with the freedom we get when we at last reject myths and lies pressed on us by the repressive views and burdens of religious lie. I have wash my hands of the atrocities caused by religion, and follow no gods, I am free to search for truths in field of knowledge restricted to myth followers, and I find great joy when I expose the layers of the false views of religion.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:07 PM

49 posts, read 95,008 times
I hear ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
It feels good to live with the freedom we get when we at last reject myths and lies pressed on us by the repressive views and burdens of religious lie. I have wash my hands of the atrocities caused by religion, and follow no gods, I am free to search for truths in field of knowledge restricted to myth followers, and I find great joy when I expose the layers of the false views of religion.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:43 AM

The Good things about being Atheist

1. none of that tithing stuff, I get to keep all the money I make, except what the government steals.
2. I really appreciate not having to listen to tedious sermons
3. I get to sleep in on "whichever day y'all consider a sabbath"
4. I don't have to maintain a special suit of clothes just to look pious.
5. With the exceptions of christmas, thanksgiving, easter, halloween, 4th of July, 13th of September, 5 May, my wifes birthday, and new years eve, my diet is unaffected by the calendar.
6. I feel no obligation to be polite when someone knocks on my door to preach at me.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
Sleeping in instead of going to church service, choir practice, bible school, and other religious events.
Comfortable in my own skin knowing that sometimes I may or may not have control over what happens in my life but it's not because of religion.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
It was in the 1990's and yes he DID say that word for word. He was on a talk show. No, I don't recall which one. Other sources then repeated it, but they never spazed out about it like people would nowadays.

Perhaps you have forgotten.....by in large, Christians do not have a sense of humor about their religion, now....YOUR religion, on the other hand........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism