U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2010, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
8,140 posts, read 7,468,699 times
Reputation: 2400

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
So Atlanta mainstream Artist are better (Minus The Fun rap music), and Houstons underground scene is better Correct..In its "quality" only. Atlanta does excel in Music period when it comes too popular music NEO soul,gospel, R&B. Country. Rock etc They need to get POP music up.. I know EVE was just in Atlanta working on her upcoming album.
In my opinion that about sums it up.When I say underground ,only in rap is Houston better.But Atlanta is also doing its think in the Indie rock scene too.Atlanta's scene is very varied ,its just that the hip hop overshadows the others even though they are sizable as well.

Last edited by afonega1; 07-17-2010 at 03:46 PM..

 
Old 07-17-2010, 04:08 PM
 
2,266 posts, read 1,935,427 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We can do the lyrical thing. I am just as tough a critic as anyone. Jluke, like yourself, posted old videos because you said all of Houston rappers sound the same. His video and my videos basically told you that you are wrong with that comment. Besides, some of his videos are of rappers that came out 3-5 years ago.

I don't really care if Houston is better than Atlanta or vice versa. But Houston's music and hip hop scene takes a backseat to nobody in the South.
It funny that you are convince that jluke proved his point to me. His post is dwarf compare to what I can, but it's pontless. He was basically throwing the kitchen sink and it’s funny. You openly said that Houston is dominated by the screwed culture and scene. “dominated” yall posting little nick nakes and lone wolves, isn’t proving anything.

So you come here talking about Houston in a Atlanta thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i never claimed these people were the face of the music scene. stop putting words in people's mouths. that whole quantity vs quality thing was really directed at tonygeorgia who was acting like atlanta was better in music simply because they had more artists on the pop charts. don't even act like that's not what he was implying

and how young do you have to be not be able to be an adult about this and respect other people's opinions? as if it's not okay that we feel houston rap is better. i'm guessing no older than 21....you thinking stat quo was a lyricist, that's fine, but he was lame in my opinion

you have no idea how much i know about the underground rap scene in atlanta, so you're really in no place to accuse me of not knowing what i'm talking about
Atlanta also have more lyricists on the pop charts a well .

With due all respect this “quantity vs quality” is nothing the OP was asking for or caring about. Yall bringing this up in first place is just to make a downer. Yall taking that crap while the OP was talking music awards.

dude I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I still disagree but it doesn't matter it's just my little opinion.
then I tried switch the subject to R&B! but then yall tried to change my opinion about Houston. ) so "how young do you have to be not be able to be an adult about this and respect other people's opinions?" I don't know ask yourself. When things really flip is when you came after my post, not tony and said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
and atlanta having so many artists is simply due to the fact that they put their own local artists on. because let's be for real, nearly half the artists that come out of there don't really deserve a record deal, but they seem to be handing them out like welfare in atlanta. like this:....are you kidding me?

atlantans are proud that they're music scene is doing so well, and they should be proud. but this seems to be another example of confusing popularity with value
So then after that I pointed out that "wreck shop" video "you said that video was lyrical" I never said Travis porter was lyrical ) Now your talking about Stat quo a rapper that start rapping because "Scarface" told him he should. You don't have to like him but he's lyrical wreck shop is not. LMAO! you have NO clue to how much I know about Houston underground scene "so you're really in no place to accuse me of not knowing what i'm talking about" Now lets kill this conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Yes You better go off !!!!... No one is talking about Country Music... which was another genre of music that was brought up...

Where is Houston on the country music scene right now??? Is there Underground country music LOL
LOL I know right. But be careful they might come back and actually try to straw man the conversation “quantity vs quality” and start taking about the Houston or the Texas country scene.

Last edited by chiatldal; 07-17-2010 at 04:19 PM..
 
Old 07-17-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,473 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not to mention the Neo-Soul element in Atlanta has really taken off.Houston is not known for that but Dallas is.Ie Erykah Badu,N'dambi etc.And of course Atlanta wins in R&B as well.But Hip Hop is not just rap so you can say Houstons quality is better in rap but not necessarily in Hip Hop which is blurred with other genres like R&B and Neo-Soul
C'mon now. Hip Hop is Hip Hop. R&B is R&B. Neo-Soul (a term which I absolutely HATE because it's nothing more than smooth R&B) is Neo-Soul.
 
Old 07-17-2010, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,473 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It funny that you are convince that jluke proved his point to me. His post is dwarf compare to what I can, but it's pontless. He was basically throwing the kitchen sink and it’s funny. You openly said that Houston is dominated by the screwed culture and scene. “dominated” yall posting little nick nakes and lone wolves, isn’t proving anything.

So you come here talking about Houston in a Atlanta thread?
Atlanta also have more lyricists on the pop charts a well .
No I'm not coming to an Atlanta thread talking about Houston just for the sake of it. I'm coming to an Atlanta thread correcting you on your assertions about Houston. Big difference. The majority of Jluke's point was not to compare Houston's and Atlanta's music scene and I don't know HOW you got that out of his post. His post was also to correct you as well when you made that comment twice in a row. If you want to play the ticky tack thing than Crunk and Trappin is what dominates Atlanta and has dominated the scene since the late 90s and your little videos that you have posted proves nothing. See how easy and misguided that is?

Bottom line. You was wrong about the Houston hip hop scene and you was proven wrong by myself and Jluke and you showed you know little about Houston's underground scene outside of SUC and Swishahouse.
 
Old 07-17-2010, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
8,140 posts, read 7,468,699 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It funny that you are convince that jluke proved his point to me. His post is dwarf compare to what I can, but it's pontless. He was basically throwing the kitchen sink and it’s funny. You openly said that Houston is dominated by the screwed culture and scene. “dominated” yall posting little nick nakes and lone wolves, isn’t proving anything.

So you come here talking about Houston in a Atlanta thread?
Atlanta also have more lyricists on the pop charts a well .

With due all respect this “quantity vs quality” is nothing the OP was asking for or caring about. Yall bringing this up in first place is just to make a downer. Yall taking that crap while the OP was talking music awards.

dude I said
then I tried switch the subject to R&B! but then yall tried to change my opinion about Houston. ) so "how young do you have to be not be able to be an adult about this and respect other people's opinions?" I don't know ask yourself. When things really flip is when you came after my post, not tony and said.
So then after that I pointed out that "wreck shop" video "you said that video was lyrical" I never said Travis porter was lyrical ) Now your talking about Stat quo a rapper that start rapping because "Scarface" told him he should. You don't have to like him but he's lyrical wreck shop is not. LMAO! you have NO clue to how much I know about Houston underground scene "so you're really in no place to accuse me of not knowing what i'm talking about" Now lets kill this conversation.

LOL I know right. But be careful they might come back and actually try to straw man the conversation “quantity vs quality” and start taking about the Houston or the Texas country scene.
Thats true he(OP) was talking about music awards.They even got me forgetting the topic!lLOL.Can't win one argument;try another until you can I guess!haha
 
Old 07-17-2010, 04:49 PM
 
472 posts, read 442,465 times
Reputation: 91
This went down hill first when Al green commented and said Kanye wasnt from GA.. And then Tony said something about Texas Al green had to come back and say something about GA. then all hell breaks loose.. .. This was supposed to be a thread talking about how GA artist are dominating the Charts in Both hip hop R&B and Country( which we have yet tio discuss since everyone is just focused on Hip Hop) .. Alot of people are becoming producers and starting there own record label.. Its not like most of the club rap artist are signed by major record companies. mostly local stuff.. So is it asking to much to please lets talk about Ga only in this thread since GA is the one on the Charts Not Houston not NYC none of them... The OP also mentioned to SOUL TRAIN MUSIC AWARDS which I would love to talk about. Because the show is really going to be great this year..
 
Old 07-17-2010, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
8,140 posts, read 7,468,699 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
C'mon now. Hip Hop is Hip Hop. R&B is R&B. Neo-Soul (a term which I absolutely HATE because it's nothing more than smooth R&B) is Neo-Soul.
Neo -soul is also artist like Res,Janelle Monet which are not categorically R&B at all.Yo dont know your music like you think you do.Especially Neo-Soul genres which is rather eclectic.What is YOUR definition of hiphop?
Ciara,Mariah Carey,TLC,T-Pain,The Dream,Ne-Yo,Usher ,Mary J.Blige "the Queen of Hip Hop",Ashanti ,etc... are all considered Hip Hop artists by contemporary standards.So tell me why im wrong
 
Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
8,140 posts, read 7,468,699 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No I'm not coming to an Atlanta thread talking about Houston just for the sake of it. I'm coming to an Atlanta thread correcting you on your assertions about Houston. Big difference. The majority of Jluke's point was not to compare Houston's and Atlanta's music scene and I don't know HOW you got that out of his post. His post was also to correct you as well when you made that comment twice in a row. If you want to play the ticky tack thing than Crunk and Trappin is what dominates Atlanta and has dominated the scene since the late 90s and your little videos that you have posted proves nothing. See how easy and misguided that is?

Bottom line. You was wrong about the Houston hip hop scene and you was proven wrong by myself and Jluke and you showed you know little about Houston's underground scene outside of SUC and Swishahouse.
Was it not you that said Houston's scene is know all over the country and the world?If it is ,then why do people like myself and others like chiatldal have never heard of these artist?(Other than Swishahouse and SUC)They are good but what good is it if you cant get the exposure outside of 3 or 4 states?
 
Old 07-17-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,473 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Neo -soul is also artist like Res,Janelle Monet which are not categorically R&B at all.Yo dont know your music like you think you do.Especially Neo-Soul genres which is rather eclectic.What is YOUR definition of hiphop?
Ciara,Mariah Carey,TLC,T-Pain,The Dream,Ne-Yo,Usher ,Mary J.Blige "the Queen of Hip Hop",Ashanti ,etc... are all considered Hip Hop artists by contemporary standards.So tell me why im wrong
You do not know ME to tell what you think I know. Let's nip that in the bud right there. Yes, I call Res, Janelle Monet R&B. Smooth R&B or Today's version of Soul. This quote goes more in depth on why I dislike the term.

Quote:
4. "Neo-Soul": We understand the emergence of the "neo-soul" genre as a response to the growing commercialization of modern R&B. But even the artists lumped into this category began to the see that the term was as much a marketing ploy as the very things they eschewed. The language used to describe these artists ranged from "organic" to "avant garde" and any press materials would claim that he/she looks up to Stevie, Marvin and Donny. And don't stand too close to the stage lest you get burned by the candles and frankencense! Before long, the audience would be fooled and we would either grow to love or loathe this music, defending the art of its purveyors and loudly wondering why they couldn't move as many units as their mainstream counterparts. Simply put, "neo-soul" has become a term used by people to describe music they respect but would never buy.
Hip Hop is a culture. Rappin or Emceeing is part of that culture. That is one of the four elements of hip hop. Now there may be some infusion such as TLC but the only reason why TLC is in there is because they had Left Eye rapping on the songs. Mariah Carey, Ciara, Usher, and Ne-Yo are not hip hop. Especially Mariah Carey who as always been R&B. I'll give you Mary J because she was known as the queen of hip hop soul but I would still call her R&B as well.
 
Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,473 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Was it not you that said Houston's scene is know all over the country and the world?If it is ,then why do people like myself and others like chiatldal have never heard of these artist?(Other than Swishahouse and SUC)They are good but what good is it if you cant get the exposure outside of 3 or 4 states?
Just because you and chiatldal never heard of them does not mean others have not. Strange Fruit Project ( out of Waco) is big in California. K-Rino is big overseas especially in Australia and France. Personally, I don't really care about exposure. If it's good music, it's good music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:43 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top