Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Yeah, they can't wait to walk across the street to get robbed on the way back
Its no biggie, EBT cards work like debit, if stolen you can call & order a new one. I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The Publix closed last Christmas, if memory serves me right...

I just can't picture in my head how this would work at all...Can't wait to see the designs...

I'm sure the manager at the Kroger on Abernathy not happy though...
No Kroger will be overjoyed, Wal Mart coming in will lower Krogers shrink by 75 % easy. Its a good day for that Kroger.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Some of us are not sheep. Wow, saving $2 and sacrificing American jobs in the process. Selling things full of High Fructose Corn Syrup and other crap to save a buck.

You can have it.
Publix failed because they were HIGH in a low income neighborhood.I live two blocks from the Publix.I went to Publix only for an occasional few things.I drove to Wal-MArt for convience and also the fact that Publix put a half- assed small sized store that had much fewer product choices.

Are you naive? It is one of the worst areas in Atlanta still, even with some redevelopment. They have knocked down a lot of those projects but still you can't tell the students from the thugs b/c many dress the same. Kids get robbed ALL THE TIME still. Its so common the news hardly reports it.
You do realize that Home Park has mugging,robbings,home invasions as well.ALL THE TIME!!Almost as many.I live 2 blocks from that Publix in a house built only 5 years ago.

Bingo. People welcoming the devil "Hey the devil is better than nothing" (I am exaggerating of course)

Bingo, don't tell the sheep this. OH WAL-MART IS HERE TO SAVE US ALL Ridiculous. You would think the store is free the way people are acting.
The fact is ,there is already new developments that have been created currently.Many of the buildings have been renovated and new business have moved in.People have been doing things here even after Publix closed.Wal-Mart is the ICING on the cake

It is a very tough area and that is what people don't realize. It sounds great, its a lovely press conference but will the tough decisions and needed changes be made to truly revitalize that area?

It won't happen. Sorry
Sorry it has began.One only needs to drive around and see lately.Especially on MLK Jr.Many of them local owners.Not chains.But something other than liquor stores and barber shops.Look out for pictures within the next day or two..

Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
No Kroger will be overjoyed, Wal Mart coming in will lower Krogers shrink by 75 % easy. Its a good day for that Kroger.
Yeh thats why they stay open and expanded in 1996 because they will get their "shrink lowered".

Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I think you meant to say Gresham Road. Both of those locations you mentioned arent even in the same market area of the proposed New Westside Walmart location. Not sure where you're getting your information from but you are totally off base If you think those two locations are in the same target demographic geographically as the Westside Village Location where the new Walmart will be located. Retail Center at Historic Westside Village - Downtown Atlanta, GA | Westside Village Condos

No comment on your other idiotic statement...not surprised either.
But, you did comment, and You & I both know I was not speaking geographically. You know this, I know it. All stores are in the Atlanta Ga Metro. All will answer to same regional boss. Which means it will be shiny & new for about 1.5 years then it will happen. Watch. You speak from emotion because you feel this good for Atlanta, but Im telling you from my heart its not man. No beef, seriously dawg. Its not good for those people, it will not help them. It will end up like Gresham Rd & Old National Hwy. Wal Mart will get their money & after 10 years abandon the site.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
INTERESTING FACT: Tuskegee, AL is one of only 11 towns in America where Walmart has failed -- they opened a store there in 1981 and, less than a year later, shut the place down, bordered up the windows and abandoned the building. The reason? They couldn't eliminate employee theft. The situations in Tuskegee, AL and the area around the AUC are strikingly similar: Though one is very rural and the other very urban, both are home to world-renowned African-American universities surrounded by horrific crime, abject poverty and almost no other retail options.

For Walmart to succeed in SW Atlanta, it is going to have to figure out how NOT to repeat the mistakes of Tuskegee. But then, Tuskegee is not Atlanta. I sure hope Walmart has done their homework on this.

The local economic impact of Wal-Mart - Google Books
Newsboy, you are getting warmer man. I have a partner who is a Lost Prevention Officer at the Old National Store in college park. Basically they walk around with street clothes, trying to catch the criminals, they not allowed to hit back if struck, they not allowed to defend themselve from these "people" He told me they lost about 300,000 worth of merchandise a month average. They cant keep any Lost Prevention workers, because the job is either too dangerous or to stressful. Its like you are a cop with no gun, no cuffs, no stick. Someone comes in the store trys to steal 200 worth of eletronics or 90 bux in make up & hair products do you think they are going to behave when confronted? People in so much denial about the types of "people" this westside store is going to "save". Wal Mart is not a bad company, but they do prey on the ignorant & less fortunate. I wish my dude would leave that store, hes so stressed all the time. They wont even let him switch positions unless he takes a pay reduction man. That aint cool. Yall can cheer for this Wal Mart in the ghetto all you want. Hey....Power to the "People" right?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You know Walmart sells a whole hell of a lot more stuff than FOOD?! Right? Look, I'm no Walmart homer -- I don't buy groceries there. But I'm no fool either. For one thing, when no other pharmacy in my town stocked a specific precription that I needed after a hospital stay, they had it ON THE SHELF -- and at the lowest cost to my insurance provider. Some of you haters could do yourselves a favor by getting over the propaganda you've bought into about Walmart. It's a much better company now. (I also find it laughable, the notion that all those other retailers mentioned somehow don't have similar business practices? As if that checker at Publix, Target or Aldi isn't making minimum wage ....)
This is pure foolishness man. I worked at publix in High School they treated us kids great...around 96-99. No one I remember hated working there. Believe what you want in your fairytale land. The criminals in Vine City are licking their chops. This store will lose money & leave their employees behind. You sit on this forum claiming Wal Mart is good for Atlanta? Wal Mart?........ Wal Mart? You are blind. YOU are cheering for Wal Mart in a 5.6 million populated city. YOU are cheering for Wal Mart in the ghetto. You have had way better agendas than this one dude. Is Atlanta people this down & out where they cheer for Wal Mart coming to town? Yea the economy is bad, but Wal Mart? Thats our knight in shining armor? Cmon already. Wal Marts gonna save Atlanta huh? I hope you support that plantation when they complete it. Support with real CURRENCY, not EBT, Wic or Vouchers, but REAL CURRENCY. If you do that than right on to ya. Support the Plantation Newsboy. Power to the "People"

Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
This is pure foolishness man. I worked at publix in High School they treated us kids great...around 96-99. No one I remember hated working there. Believe what you want in your fairytale land. The criminals in Vine City are licking their chops. This store will lose money & leave their employees behind. You sit on this forum claiming Wal Mart is good for Atlanta? Wal Mart?........ Wal Mart? You are blind. YOU are cheering for Wal Mart in a 5.6 million populated city. YOU are cheering for Wal Mart in the ghetto. You have had way better agendas than this one dude. Is Atlanta people this down & out where they cheer for Wal Mart coming to town? Yea the economy is bad, but Wal Mart? Thats our knight in shining armor? Cmon already. Wal Marts gonna save Atlanta huh? I hope you support that plantation when they complete it. Support with real CURRENCY, not EBT, Wic or Vouchers, but REAL CURRENCY. If you do that than right on to ya. Support the Plantation Newsboy. Power to the "People"
You know what?i read your crap and catch you on stuff and you never have a reply for the lies you tell.Like for instance when the topic was about House music in Atlanta.People came out and showed you videos,flyers,pictures and all kinds of stuff to show you how wrong you were.You never posted anything else after that.You claim you know Atlanta and how "backwards the people here(particularly black people) are because many choose to live simple lives that do not agree with yours.Keep your self righteous attitude for those who are drinking the koolaidTruth is there ARE no jobs for hard working people in the area.For you to insist that its more criminals than honest hardworking people shows just how out of touch you are.More into "frontin" than actually having any ideas other than the one present.Frankly and $7or$8 job is much better for a kid not having any other options but selling bean pies for the Nation of Islam or a grandmother who raises her grandchildren because the parents are in jail or on crack and now they can work greeting customers or cashiering.Not to mention Wal-Mart brings other business with them.If you were a business owner like say restaurants or even the empty Hotel where Paschal's used to be ,would you not move to nwhere the people are coming?Busy Bee's is expanding and already planning to move into the new plaza that will house Wal-Mart.

Where was all your condemnation when they built Wal-Mart on Howell Mill?Why is that a better fit?At least the community will benefit from the tax base in the area as oppose to the residents having to catch a bus away from where they live.Its a fact that more people LOWERS AT LEAST VIOLENT CRIME.Density will have more people out walking areas they had no reason to before.More lighting,more people,more sidewalks and transit friendly development WILL save this area.Wal-Mart is only the start.
Maybe if you lived here you would know how much I hate running to Family Dollar.If you wanna talk about a company that is racking up in the hood,look there.They pay crap but expand more than Wal-Mart.How do they stay in business?
You probably have never been to ONE NPU meeting to get even an idea about the neighborhood we are discussing yet you lump people and areas in together that fit your narrow minded ,egotistical image of what is not right in the black community without knowing exactly has been done or is being done.

For instance half of this stuff is underway or completed

As I stated earlier all kinds of local business retailers have popped up on MLK jr.Not to mention town homes and condo's that are very nice next to public transit.Like the Townhomes next door to where the Wal-Mart will be.
Here is Lena Street within 1 block next to the Ashby Marta Station in the Washington Park Neighborhood of houses ranging from $200,000-$400,000

1060 Lena St, Atlanta, GA 30314 - Google Maps

And we are not talking JUST the immediate neighborhood.Peyton Forest,Cascades,Colier Heights are all fairly affluent areas that are only within a 3mile radius. And the residents of downtown,Castleberry Hill,Including the GSU students will definitely come.Its so easy to get off Marta and step right there.Even the Publix on Piedmont which is closer to the main GSU dorm by car will see a drop.Many students don't have cars.

It is you that sees to be blind with bitterness that you cannot see that some areas CAN benefit from this type of progress.This is an URBAN center,not a suburb which people live further away and have no options in driving.Urban settings can very much benefit in ways over other areas that are less dense.Have you driven around Morehouse off Lowery lately?Around Clark Atlanta?: Oh and here s a pic of the house I have owned for 5 years built in Dec 2005.Directly 2blks near the Publix/Walmart.

Last edited by afonega1; 12-15-2010 at 12:38 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
You are overly defensive b/c you live there, which is understandable. As stated, Wal-Mart there is putting Cheap lead poisoned lipstick on a pig. They will realize they are making no money and leave in 5 10 years leaving a larger, uglier empty lot.

Sorry.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You know what?i read your crap and catch you on stuff and you never have a reply for the lies you tell.Like for instance when the topic was about House music in Atlanta.People came out and showed you videos,flyers,pictures and all kinds of stuff to show you how wrong you were.You never posted anything else after that.You claim you know Atlanta and how "backwards the people here(particularly black people) are because many choose to live simple lives that do not agree with yours.Keep your self righteous attitude for those who are drinking the koolaidTruth is there ARE no jobs for hard working people in the area.For you to insist that its more criminals than honest hardworking people shows just how out of touch you are.More into "frontin" than actually having any ideas other than the one present.Frankly and $7or$8 job is much better for a kid not having any other options but selling bean pies for the Nation of Islam or a grandmother who raises her grandchildren because the parents are in jail or on crack and now they can work greeting customers or cashiering.Not to mention Wal-Mart brings other business with them.If you were a business owner like say restaurants or even the empty Hotel where Paschal's used to be ,would you not move to nwhere the people are coming?Busy Bee's is expanding and already planning to move into the new plaza that will house Wal-Mart.

Where was all your condemnation when they built Wal-Mart on Howell Mill?Why is that a better fit?At least the community will benefit from the tax base in the area as oppose to the residents having to catch a bus away from where they live.Its a fact that more people LOWERS AT LEAST VIOLENT CRIME.Density will have more people out walking areas they had no reason to before.More lighting,more people,more sidewalks and transit friendly development WILL save this area.Wal-Mart is only the start.
Maybe if you lived here you would know how much I hate running to Family Dollar.If you wanna talk about a company that is racking up in the hood,look there.They pay crap but expand more than Wal-Mart.How do they stay in business?
You probably have never been to ONE NPU meeting to get even an idea about the neighborhood we are discussing yet you lump people and areas in together that fit your narrow minded ,egotistical image of what is not right in the black community without knowing exactly has been done or is being done.

For instance half of this stuff is underway or completed

As I stated earlier all kinds of local business retailers have popped up on MLK jr.Not to mention town homes and condo's that are very nice next to public transit.Like the Townhomes next door to where the Wal-Mart will be.
Here is Lena Street within 1 block next to the Ashby Marta Station in the Washington Park Neighborhood of houses ranging from $200,000-$400,000

1060 Lena St, Atlanta, GA 30314 - Google Maps

And we are not talking JUST the immediate neighborhood.Peyton Forest,Cascades,Colier Heights are all fairly affluent areas that are only within a 3mile radius. And the residents of downtown,Castleberry Hill,Including the GSU students will definitely come.Its so easy to get off Marta and step right there.Even the Publix on Piedmont which is closer to the main GSU dorm by car will see a drop.Many students don't have cars.

It is you that sees to be blind with bitterness that you cannot see that some areas CAN benefit from this type of progress.This is an URBAN center,not a suburb which people live further away and have no options in driving.Urban settings can very much benefit in ways over other areas that are less dense.Have you driven around Morehouse off Lowery lately?Around Clark Atlanta?: Oh and here s a pic of the house I have owned for 5 years built in Dec 2005.Directly 2blks near the Publix/Walmart.
I'd rep you if could, but I'll just give you the praise here!

People who know this neighborhood, have lived in it, have seen it's ups and downs know that the building of this Walmart has way more positives for the surrounding area than it does negatives.

What's up with all the opposition? As far as I can tell, everyone against this isn't from this neighborhood and probably is unlikely to spend much time there. Why should you care what gets put in there? I get the people who are against Walmart, but there are some posters who have definite undertone of "nothing will work in this neighborhood so why bother?". For that group, it's as if you would have been happier if the headline read instead "Daisy cutter bomb accidentally dropped on Vine City". So unreal.

For the person who questioned the logic of being in support of a Walmart being built in that area, do the following. Go to the corner of MLK and Lowery by car or by taking the train to Ashby street station. Stand on the corner for 6 hours. After the 6 hours are done, you will understand why that neighborhood needs all the investment it can get.

Overall though, I am glad that the NPU leaders, neighborhood groups, the mayor, and the city council seem to be actively involved in moving forward positively. This is only the beginning of something that hopefully will turn out to be even better than just one store. Negative Nancy's need not apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta