Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,009,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The thing is...when criminals are white, there just isn't the same kind of backlash toward the entire race. But let criminal actions be performed by black, hispanic, or muslim people and some will automatically lay the burden on everyone of that group.

This was a random criminal act by a group of people oblivious to the rules of society. I know it's frightening to think that any one of us could have been on that particular train...but it isn't MARTA's fault, it isn't black peoples' fault, and it isn't Atlanta's fault. The only people at fault are the criminals who were involved, and hopefully they will be caught and punished appropriately.
YES SIR.

Now I know people will come in here and say "Well, when something happens then you will see it on these boards" or some other such nonsense.

Yet, while this thread was blowing up (no pun intended), not a single thread about what was going on in Morningside yesterday. Not one:

Man arrested after alleged Morningside shooting *| ajc.com

Quote:
The incident began at about 12:50 p.m. Wednesday with the report of an explosive being thrown into a Greenland Drive home. A bomb squad determined there was no explosive, but multiple shots appear to have been fired into the rear of the home with a high-powered rifle, Davenport said.
So lets review. A guy runs around Morningside (who is white by the way, but that is irrelevant to the story itself) with a freaking pipe bomb, throws said pipe bomb in to the yard of his neighbor that he hated, then shot up his house with a high powered rifle, then went running around his neighborhood in camouflage to avoid the police like he was freaking John Rambo and people on this board act the biggest issue of the day was a dozen crack babies in pink beating up people on the train?

Not to absolve the pink clad bandits of any blame because they should be found, arrested and tried for their crimes...but seriously. Let's look at it another way.

Post after post on this thread have taken the train incident to be an indictment of crime in the city, the state of the entire black community in Atlanta and how safe MARTA is yet the crazy gun and pipe bomb wielding dude in Morningside doesn't even get a thread nor does the White community of Atlanta have to answer for his crimes (as they shouldn't).

Why is that? Because there is a double standard small minded bigots always employ to prove their fears true.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:18 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,574,376 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is excusing criminal activity in relation to poverty, but rather citing it as a possible reason for such situations. Growing up in these conditions is often a hopeless situation that can easily lure kids toward a life of crime, especially when they see other/older kids who have disposable income because of it. Yes, many kids come out of that life and make something of themselves through education and other outlets, but not everyone is that lucky.
What was the finacial gain of attacking people on the train?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,009,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
The "black community" is held responsible for turning this criminal in because he is part of the black community.....his friends, immediate family, criminal associates are all part of that same community.....but not one picked up the telephone and called the Athens police. He ain't hangin' out at fundraisers for the Athens' Ballet...geez.....ignoring reality doesn't change reality.
You are right their family, friends, and associates have the responsibility of turning them in. That list does not even come close to the entire "black community". I'm grew up in that part of town, I don't know those hoodlums, nor is it my duty to do anything about these specific hoodlums for this specific crime.

Why does the entire community need to take responsibility and onus for the actions of a few?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Quote:
The thing is...when criminals are white, there just isn't the same kind of backlash toward the entire race. But let criminal actions be performed by black, hispanic, or muslim people and some will automatically lay the burden on everyone of that group.

This was a random criminal act by a group of people oblivious to the rules of society. I know it's frightening to think that any one of us could have been on that particular train...but it isn't MARTA's fault, it isn't black peoples' fault, and it isn't Atlanta's fault. The only people at fault are the criminals who were involved, and hopefully they will be caught and punished appropriately.
I completely agree and have repped you for saying this. However, it doesn't help getting rid of the negative stereotypes that so often the perpetrators involved in these violent act are young black guys.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:30 PM

439 posts, read 853,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It's required by Federal law. I'm sure most of them don't want to do it but they are required too.

You agree with the KKK? Dude, just kill yourself...
He NEVER said he agrees with the KKK or its premise. HE said some of the stuff they claimed was true about Blacks. This means, he has some grace and is willing to admit that there are problems with the community that are prevalent and are associated with Blacks. Please do not skew what people think.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:36 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,715,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
He NEVER said he agrees with the KKK or its premise. HE said some of the stuff they claimed was true about Blacks. This means, he has some grace and is willing to admit that there are problems with the community that are prevalent and are associated with Blacks. Please do not skew what people think.
Ergo, agreeing with their ideas for justification for actions against African Americans so please, shut up. Thanks.

Seeing issues in our communities is one thing but to actually come up with crap that the KKK is right in their hatred of us because of that is bs and you know it. Not surprised that you would agree with this idiot poster....

Quote:
I wonder if people are going to finally realize that MARTA's safety budget comes out of its operational budget, not its capital budget. Ergo, restrictions on operational revenue = less safety
Exactly.

Quote:
Just look at the black male in Athens who killed the cop recently. The entire police force was looking for him by name for weeks in the little town of Athens...but nobody in the black community turned him in.....its pathetic
Weeks? Let's stop lying. It was a few days. He was caught by Friday and his parents and other in the community asked him to turn himself now and he was eventually turned in by a black woman who son was held hostage but let's not facts get in the way of your bs rant...

Last edited by PKCorey; 04-21-2011 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 01:51 PM

29 posts, read 39,338 times
Alright, this is the reality for all you race baiters.

1. All black people don't know each other and thus aren't responsible each others actions.

2. All black people are individuals. So when one commits a crime that should have nothing to do with the others . If a black guy commits a crime he should be blamed for his individual action just like white people enjoy the privilege of doing.

This one of the main factors of white privilege; they can do something wrong and whole race ain't blamed for it. Black man does wrong his whole race is somehow the blame.

Lets judge people as individuals. If we even know all the boy's race who cares if they are caught?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:11 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,715,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Now on-topic...in my hometown of Cleveland Ohio, bus and rail drivers are in contact via radio with the RTA's own weapon-carrying, duly deputized police force...there are undercovers who physically ride the buses and trains and patrol train platforms, and there are also officers in radio cars who can travel to a 'trouble spot' after being contacted...

Has MARTA tried this? I mean, do they have a security force separate from the APD, and if so, what is the scope of their powers?
MARTA has it own police force with arresting power etc etc.

No idea, if they use undercover cops.

Seems, they can't handle the system at all. I wonder, if they can get any help from APD or Fulton County sheriff office?

This is almost as bad the bus being robbed on Campbellton Road on the morning roll out a couple weeks back...

Still not understand why the police didn't stop this group. They had every chance to prevent this incident but didn't...

Old 04-21-2011, 02:14 PM

538 posts, read 926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martaman2011 View Post
Alright, this is the reality for all you race baiters.

1. All black people don't know each other and thus aren't responsible each others actions.

2. All black people are individuals. So when one commits a crime that should have nothing to do with the others . If a black guy commits a crime he should be blamed for his individual action just like white people enjoy the privilege of doing.

This one of the main factors of white privilege; they can do something wrong and whole race ain't blamed for it. Black man does wrong his whole race is somehow the blame.

Lets judge people as individuals. If we even know all the boy's race who cares if they are caught?
Sixty Minutes did a segment on "No Snitching" in the black community:

Stop Snitchin' - 60 Minutes - CBS News

I guess they just made this up as well......geez.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:39 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,819,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Sixty Minutes did a segment on "No Snitching" in the black community:

Stop Snitchin' - 60 Minutes - CBS News

I guess they just made this up as well......geez.
Where exactly is "the black community"? Can I get directions to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta