Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Good for you that you have a differing opinion. It is your right as a citizen.

However this issue is bigger than just the Hispanic/Latino community and whatever pet peeves you have.
You're absolutely right! Illegal immigration extends far beyond the Hispanic/Latino community which I am part of. As previously stated, it affects everyone's quality of life, especially those whom (like myself) get to pay for the benefits many illegals exploit and enjoy.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm 100% Hispanic, and 100% in DISAGREEMENT with Santana! For us Hispanics who were born here, or came here LEGALLY, we recognize the fact that illegal immigration is something that negatively affects everyone's quality of life. . .mine included! I'm tired and exhausted of seeing my hard earned tax dollars go to feed, heal, encarcerate, and house illegal immigrants.

I'm also tired of hearing the same old rehashed rhetoric of "oh, but who will pick your lettuce, collect your garbage, and wait on your restaurant table?" Seriously, is that all illegal immigrants have to offer? Is that your justification for braking the laws of this country? Is that the reason why I should have to put up with people who refuse to become part of mainstream USA? Really? Am I suppose to feel sorry for you?

If you take it upon yourself to brake the law, then be ready to deal with the consequences of your actions.
Bolded for lulz.

I mean...wow...refuse? Really? Do you not see why the verb "refuse" couldn't be less accurate? You're the one refusing to let THEM become part of mainstream USA. That's literally what you're doing!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I disagree.

Many people in show business are liberals. I thank them for their support and devotion to such causes as civil rights and gay rights; and of course equal rights and justice for all people.
Their support and devotion is to their own egos and careers. I notice you thank no celebrities for advocating low taxes and a small, weak central government.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Bolded for lulz.

I mean...wow...refuse? Really? Do you not see why the verb "refuse" couldn't be less accurate? You're the one refusing to let THEM become part of mainstream USA. That's literally what you're doing!
OK. My bad. Allow me to rephrase that:

I would personally like to see tough laws and tight borders to ensure that anyone aspiring to be part of mainstream USA must arrive here LEGALLY and with proper documentation. How's that?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyogelvie View Post
Your absolutely correct.. my issue with Carlos is that he does NOT live in Georgia. HE shows up and tells us our laws are WRONG. noted, but they are OUR laws.. not YOURS.. so go back home.
Right. Just like that impudent pipsqeak Calderon who visited Congress as an invited guest and had the abysmal manners and lack of self respect to criticize our laws. The Mexican President should never be welcome on American soil again unless and until he apologizes to the American people and agrees to comport himself as a respectful guest. Given what goes on in his country and given how Central American illegal immigrants are treated by the Mexican government gives him every right to shut his hole on American law and policy when he's on American soil as a guest.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Bolded for lulz.

That's the funny thing to me. They act as if people enjoy being treated like second class citizens and too ignorant to understand they are doing something illegally. Furthermore, the biggest result of their illegal actions is spend their days under the hot sun working on a construction site, picking lettuce, cleaning up filthy restrooms bare handed, and having inadequate access to education and medical services or even adequate living quarters in many situations. Yeah, they totally love living like that I'm sure.

The real quality of life improvement for the immigration problem is fixing the actual immigration problem instead of ignoring the fact that there is an entire industry that only immigrants will fill in most situations. Lets get real, you aren't going to pick vegetables or cleanup urine if you don't have to and even if you do have to you'll probably find away to avoid it like staying with a family member or friend until you get back on your feet.

Here's a grand idea, issue temporary work visas to those immigrants wanting to work in the fields, etc, with a path to residency. I would figure that most people would prefer to cross the border without trudging through a desert for several days avoiding drug runners and such.

The big thing we have to do is stop acting like there is anyone who actually thinks illegal immigration should continue. We need to find a way that not only fixes the problem but doesn't result in good hardworking people being thrown out on their butts without so much as a thank you.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
OK. My bad. Allow me to rephrase that:

I would personally like to see tough laws and tight borders to ensure that anyone aspiring to be part of mainstream USA must arrive here LEGALLY and with proper documentation. How's that?
That's all fine and all, but do you realize how hard it is to actually migrate to this country legally?

There are usually only three practical paths:

-Marriage
-Being a refugee
-Via a work visa

That's usually it. The process to apply for residency usually takes about 10 years or longer (depending on your country of origin), and is a very expensive process requiring usually a team of lawyers and such. In other words, if your goal is to come to America and work a crappy job so that your family can have a better life rather than the crappy one they have in the slums of whatever city they came from you are SOL.

The current immigration system we have does more to encourage illegal immigration than the people who actually illegally immigrate.

Last edited by waronxmas; 05-16-2011 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post

Their support and devotion is to their own egos and careers. I notice you thank no celebrities for advocating low taxes and a small, weak central government.

A small, weak central government is the last thing in the world I would advocate.

George W. Bush lowered taxes for the rich, and look at the mess we're in now. Of course any dummy would know you can't fight two wars and lower taxes.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Lightbulb I Understand Your Point, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Yet another entertainer who thinks because they're popular they're wise. Shut the hell up and sing or dance or whatever you do and leave the politics at the saloon or the keyboard.
I don't see where his being an entertainer (popular or otherwise) has anything to do with his being able to say what he thinks, whether he came out in favor of the law, or against it...

It's like, everybody's running around talking about 'freedom of speech' and all, but apparently, being an entertainer disqualifies you from having an opinion?
Sorry, but that ain't the way it works...everybody's also bellowing 'this is America' all the time, but according to you and some others here, he needs to 'shut the hell up and sing or dance', and NOT have a right to his opinion---strictly based on his being an entertainer?

To me, anyway, that's one of the most important things about being an American---the ability to have, and express, an opinion if you so choose, and not be silenced, no matter WHAT side of an issue you line up on...and to that end, no, he doesn't have to leave his 'politics at the saloon or the keyboard', just as you and I both have the right to gather here and express OUR opinions...simple as that

Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's all fine and all, but do you realize how hard it is to actually migrate to this country legally?

There are usually only three paths:

-Marriage
-Refugee status
-Via a work visa

That's usually it. The process to apply for residency usually takes about 10 years or longer (depending on your country of origin), and is a very expensive process requiring usually a team of lawyers and such. In other words, if your goal is to come to America and work a crappy job so that your family can have a better life rather than the crappy one they have in the slums of whatever city they came from you are SOL.

The current immigration system we have does more to encourage illegal immigration than the people who actually illegally immigrate.
I've heard and read how difficult it is to obtain legal entry into this country. It may be easier said than done but, just because something is difficult does not mean it's impossible.

In addition, as a human being, I understand the plight of illegal immigrants. If I had a family to feed, and to make things better for them all I had to do was run thru that hole in the fence, trust me. . .I'd run harder and faster than anyone else! However, I also understand this is a risk I took, and as a result, I'd accept the potential consequences of my actions, i.e., deportation!

By the same token, for those of us on the this side of the fence, you cannot blame us for taking a stand against an illegal activity which is poking a major hole in our pockets and, inadvertantly, in our quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta