Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I was responding to you, not the OP. Just be honest and accept the fact that what you said was wrong. You DO NOT have to go to the exurbs to see confederate flags.
I have never seen a confederate flag in any of those places, and I don't really believe that you have. My statement was supported by my experiences, not yours. Until I am proven otherwise by either factual evidence or my own experience, I will continue to believe one has to go to the exurbs to see Confederate flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Tucker and Chamblee and places like that are more blue collar suburbs, and tend to have more redneck types in them.
Um, no. The demographics of both communities are far more complex than that. There may be a small (and receding) 'redneck' element there, but these are better described as both very ethnically diverse and solidly white collar, middle class communities.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Um, no. The demographics of both communities are far more complex than that.
I realize they are more complex, but the traditional residents of most parts of Tucker and Chamblee are blue-collar workers or rednecks.

Quote:
There may be a small (and receding) 'redneck' element there, but these are better described as both very ethnically diverse and solidly white collar, middle class communities.
Chamblee and Tucker being described as "solidly white collar"? What a load of horse manure. Tucker does have some white collar communities in certain places, but it is certainly not described or known as being "solidly white collar." Chamblee has no white collar communities to speak of and never has.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
I have never seen a confederate flag in any of those places, and I don't really believe that you have. My statement was supported by my experiences, not yours. Until I am proven otherwise by either factual evidence or my own experience, I will continue to believe one has to go to the exurbs to see Confederate flags.
I already told you exactly where you can see one inside the perimeter. Whether or not you believe me doesn't matter, but it does display your hard-headedness.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 AM
JPD

Quote:
Really? In all the years that I lived there, I saw one...On the headquarters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. They finally had to remove it due to frequent vandalism.
Rainbow flags? Yes. Confederate flags? No. As far as values and political philosophy are concerned, Decatur may as well be in Massachusetts.
I said Decatur, not City of Decatur. I agree there probably aren't any in the city limits and haven't been in a long time.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
JPD

Quote:
I realize they are more complex, but the traditional residents of most parts of Tucker and Chamblee are blue-collar workers or rednecks.
Wrong. I can't speak for Chamblee since I've never lived there, but this was somewhat more true (of Tucker) in the '80s and earlier. Currently, Tucker is an extremely diverse place. Some of the professions in my neighborhood include school teachers, architects, body shop owners, librarians, federal government employees, lawyers, ministers, realtors, various small business owners, etc.

I wouldn't call Tucker "solidly white collar", as it's far too diverse, but calling it "mostly blue collar and rednecks" is even farther off the mark.

Last edited by JPD; 06-07-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:

Chamblee and Tucker being described as "solidly white collar"? What a load of horse manure. Tucker does have some white collar communities in certain places, but it is certainly not described or known as being "solidly white collar." Chamblee has no white collar communities to speak of and never has.
Thank you for your childish retort to my statement.

If you actually drove through the neighborhoods of Tucker (as I often do to visit my father, a longtime resident of Tucker and a retired white collar worker) or my stepsister (another college-educated white-collar worker; surprise!), you would encounter mostly upper-middle class areas along Evans Road, Henderson Road and Chamblee-Tucker Road. The neighborhoods south of LaVista Road can be characterized as more middle-class than upper-middle, but can still be considered more white-collar than anything else.
As far as Chamblee goes, the area north of Peachtree Industrial Blvd. that runs along Chamblee-Dunwoody Road is most certainly white-collar. The Murphey-Candler and Nancy Creek neighborhoods are located in Chamblee; are you seriously trying to characterize their residents as Confederate flag-wavers? Hee-haw.
This old broad (and Atlanta native) has been to the rodeo a few more times than you, sonny.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The difference is that if you go to the suburbs of Chicago, you're not likely to see people sporting the confederate flag or people pushing to ban mosques from being built in their neighborhood.
If you're referring to that Lilburn situation there are already a bunch of mosques in that area. The problem was that the proposed new one didn't comply with the city's CDP.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your childish retort to my statement.
There was nothing childish about my retort. Just because someone disagrees does not make thier opinion childish.

Quote:
If you actually drove through the neighborhoods of Tucker (as I often do to visit my father, a longtime resident of Tucker and a retired white collar worker) or my stepsister (another college-educated white-collar worker; surprise!), you would encounter mostly upper-middle class areas along Evans Road, Henderson Road and Chamblee-Tucker Road.
This doesn't contradict anything I said. I already admitted that Tucker has some white collar areas, but "solidly white collar" it is not.

Quote:
As far as Chamblee goes, the area north of Peachtree Industrial Blvd. that runs along Chamblee-Dunwoody Road is most certainly white-collar. The Murphey-Candler and Nancy Creek neighborhoods are located in Chamblee; are you seriously trying to characterize their residents as Confederate flag-wavers? Hee-haw.
None of those areas are Chamblee. That's unincorporated DeKalb with an Atlanta address.

Quote:
This old broad (and Atlanta native) has been to the rodeo a few more times than you, sonny.
I am an Atlanta native, and most of my friends are as well. We would all laugh at a fellow native who tried to characterize anything about Chamblee as white-collar.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
I'm in East Cobb, or more specifically the small 30075 "Roswell" part of East Cobb, and there's a confederate flag flying on a house about 10 minutes walk from mine. (At least, there was last time I walked by with my dogs. I don't think we've been down that street in the last couple of months).

The house with the flag is on a street of relatively older homes - 1970s construction I'd guess. My part of East Cobb has its share of transplants, but the transplants aren't all northerners, and we have long-term residents as well. I have no reason to doubt peoples' claims that some parts of the northern suburbs are essentially entirely populated by transplants of northern or foreign origin. However, this is not true of all the northern suburbs, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta