Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I was referring to your comment that:
But who's going to do that [take a farm job] when their unemployment probably pays more?
How else do you interpret that?

What you get in unemployment insurance is based on the wages you received while working. It's not getting paid "not to work" as you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM

16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If there was housing, I know some college kids would give crop picking a try. I sent one of my kids a link a while back from the AJC where they had interviewed a guest worker. He was making $192.00/day, sending most of the money home.

Put up some housing along the lines of camp dormitories, and recruit on college campuses. These kids could make some serious money in two months.

Or something could be set up like a grander-scale, non-organic WWOOF...

WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If there was housing, I know some college kids would give crop picking a try. I sent one of my kids a link a while back from the AJC where they had interviewed a guest worker. He was making $192.00/day, sending most of the money home.

Put up some housing along the lines of camp dormitories, and recruit on college campuses. These kids could make some serious money in two months.
And how much of the salary is going to go towards housing? That's the key question in this case.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Who's going to pay for the housing?
Quote:
And how much of the salary is going to go towards housing? That's the key question in this case.

Well, roughly $192.00 a day equals $960.00 a week and $3,840.00 a month.

If the set up is dorm-like or roommate/housemate oriented, they could pay for the housing themselves--and still have plenty to save and spend.

The task will be to set up the housing situation.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 PM

Is that $192/day representative of the daily wage of the average worker?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Is that $192/day representative of the daily wage of the average worker?
Personally, I don't think it really is.

But...supposing that it is (or possibly could be)--the posts above offer a possible solution and a general plan/framework.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
The article I had read quoted the farmer as paying $14.00/hour. It sounds as though they are working some long days in the fields. There was no mention of picking quotas, but they probably exist.

Since we are paying for a year-round lease for my son at GA Southern, I thought he might as well look into it rather than come home and search for a job. Vidalia just isn't close enough to Southern to make it feasible though, so housing would be a problem.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
Notice I said Conservatives, and not Republicans. I pick on ideology, not political party.

Bcause there are also Conservative Democrats who I despise greatly.

This is why it's so hard to have a nuanced discussion on what way is the best way. Folks like you keep conflating ideology with political party.

Y'all have too much of a hard time separating the two for some unknown reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Haven't heard a lot of responses to that from the Dems, either. President Obama has signed Free Trade Agreements with South Korea and Panama and is working on one with Brazil.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 06-01-2011 at 04:06 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,406,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
"who wants to do the job of a lawn care worker so the hispanics take those jobs no one wants" argument. We have NO hispanics or any other minority for that matter doing lawn care in our area. The lawn maintenance (or landscaping companies as we like to call them) are owned by white people here and they also employ other white people here for the measly $10 an hour, if that. It gets many a college student a job during their summer vacation and there are plenty of white men are working those jobs as well. I just don't get the whole argument about no one wants those jobs so just let the illegals in. Who do you think is paying for their hospital bills when they go to the ER? How about who is paying to educate their children in our schools? There are lots of people in West Viriginia that would kill for a $10 an hour job. Flame away peeps but this BS doesn't fly with me.
Um, and how many hispanics are there up there compared to the south? Thanks for stating the obvious.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,406,418 times
And if they are paying $192 dollars a day I can guarantee by the time they leave those fields they probably can barely stand. On average id bet those folks dont make anywhere near that down in S. GA. If they did there would never be any worker shortages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta