Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times

Advertisements

I think this thread has already served its purpose. Assuming it ever had one.

Unsubscribing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Thanks for letting us all know!

Simply unsubscribing to a thread and not informing everyone in the thread that you are doing so is simply so overrated.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 PM

161 posts, read 405,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMikeJAX View Post
You just described India.
huh!?!... I don't get this comment... ever been to India? In India people from all backgrounds are all mixed together on the same street, in the same neighborhood, in the same city, on and on. It's very very different. Maybe that's what you were trying to point out, but please explain.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM

40 posts, read 70,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta28 View Post
huh!?!... I don't get this comment... ever been to India? In India people from all backgrounds are all mixed together on the same street, in the same neighborhood, in the same city, on and on. It's very very different. Maybe that's what you were trying to point out, but please explain.
I spent almost a year mainly between Mumbai and Delhi where I did notice intermingling of population groups from all backgrounds; however, remnants of the caste system are still present.

That's what I meant by that comment. It just seemed more pronounced in India than here, though one could argue those in the service industry would correlate to [insert background] while those who are in white-collar industries correlate to [insert background].

Old 01-22-2012, 02:09 PM

161 posts, read 405,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMikeJAX View Post
That's what I meant by that comment. It just seemed more pronounced in India than here, though one could argue those in the service industry would correlate to [insert background] while those who are in white-collar industries correlate to [insert background].
Yes, I agree that this is still true socioeconomically; yet Indians are intermingling more and more in regards to caste and religion (even though they will still not intermarry, except in few cases).

On another note, I agree with posters who say that "gay areas" are disappearing due to the much wider acceptance of them in society. It's great that they have no reason "to hide" in their own community anymore.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 AM

34 posts, read 66,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
That is not the main reason why they avoid them. Alot of them just dont find black men Attractive. The white men who do like blacks usually like them because we have bigger package if you know what I mean. Alot of Black men dont find white men sexually nor visually appealling either so what does this cause... A divided community.
This is a point that deserves emphasis. Often when white people (as the majority) are talking about racially- or culturally-mixed environments, what they usually mean is "A sprinkle here, a sprinkle there, but certainly not too much to become the dominant culture in the community." This is no different when it comes to gays -- and frankly, it may be a little worse. Unless they are attracted to that "type", white gay men are usually most comfortable assoiciating with other white gay men with only a few "sprinkles" in the mix for entertainment or what they think is cultural diversity. In general, the black men who frequent predominantly white bars, clubs and other establishments are not attracted to or do not prefer other black men, so this is not that much of an issue to them. However, this kind of black man is NOT the majority -- like most white gay men are into each other, most black gay men are into each other as well, and the same goes for lesbians. In cities with large enough populations of black gays, such as Atlanta, DC, LA, NYC, Chicago and Houston, we (black gay men and lesbians) structure our own bars, clubs, parties and social events for each other, because that's what we're attracted to -- culturally and physically. anmd there's nothing wrong with that. Whites do by default all the time.

Places like Twin Cities, Cincinnati, and Denver and Boston do not have largely populated, highly mobilized black communities (maybe around 12% of the city's population or less), so most likely, they will not have black gay establishments like there are in ATL, DC, etc. So, naturally you're going to see a few black gays at the predominantly white bars -- because that's the only place in town they can go. Trust me, that can be VERY culturally depressing -- as well as very sexually unstaisfying. But that's another thread!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM

8 posts, read 15,888 times
My partner and I are both about to graduate in April. We are looking for teaching jobs and we have a 6 year old. What are some good gay friendly family neighborhoods near good schools?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaDawg View Post
This is a point that deserves emphasis. Often when white people (as the majority) are talking about racially- or culturally-mixed environments, what they usually mean is "A sprinkle here, a sprinkle there, but certainly not too much to become the dominant culture in the community." This is no different when it comes to gays -- and frankly, it may be a little worse. Unless they are attracted to that "type", white gay men are usually most comfortable assoiciating with other white gay men with only a few "sprinkles" in the mix for entertainment or what they think is cultural diversity. In general, the black men who frequent predominantly white bars, clubs and other establishments are not attracted to or do not prefer other black men, so this is not that much of an issue to them. However, this kind of black man is NOT the majority -- like most white gay men are into each other, most black gay men are into each other as well, and the same goes for lesbians. In cities with large enough populations of black gays, such as Atlanta, DC, LA, NYC, Chicago and Houston, we (black gay men and lesbians) structure our own bars, clubs, parties and social events for each other, because that's what we're attracted to -- culturally and physically. anmd there's nothing wrong with that. Whites do by default all the time.

Places like Twin Cities, Cincinnati, and Denver and Boston do not have largely populated, highly mobilized black communities (maybe around 12% of the city's population or less), so most likely, they will not have black gay establishments like there are in ATL, DC, etc. So, naturally you're going to see a few black gays at the predominantly white bars -- because that's the only place in town they can go. Trust me, that can be VERY culturally depressing -- as well as very sexually unstaisfying. But that's another thread!
Your right.. this was on point..

Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 AM

1,015 posts, read 787,181 times
Wow that really sucks Atlanta was one of my top cities to move to when i graduate in the future.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:19 AM

538 posts, read 926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaDawg View Post

Wow, this is just so racist......I wish the mods would remove this post or perhaps this whole thread..........what happened to that rainbow over Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta