Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
When I say clout, I mean respect. Sure he'll always receive props for single-handedly building a fortune, but he's hardly a lauded filmmaker.

He's "A-list" to black folks, but I doubt that most of America is really paying attention to him.
I think we already know that White people don't really watch Black movies and TV shows. Most of America isn't paying attention to Spike Lee either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 03:31 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
This site shows aerials of celebrity homes. Enter 'Atlanta' in the search box at the top, then select 'more' to view the full list.

When the matches start to become vague, enter Alpharetta for example to get a different list of matches. Hope this helps. Explore Your World - Virtual Globetrotting

Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think we already know that White people don't really watch Black movies and TV shows. Most of America isn't paying attention to Spike Lee either.
Sure, you wouldn't see many whites flocking to a Spike Lee movie on date night, but the difference is that Lee is a widely celebrated and respected filmmaker whose films are cultural icons and are among some of the most relevant depictions of black heritage and race relations in post-Civil Rights America. There's art in what he does, and there are plenty of whites who recognize that.

We'll never be saying the same things about Tyler Perry, but I'll concede that he might just be an "A-lister", if only for his riches alone.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
What attracts celebs to Atlanta is the fact that there is work there; however, don't be fooled. Not many live there as many people think; many rent in ATL, but have homes elsewhere [mostly NYC and LA].

Old 04-28-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Sure, you wouldn't see many whites flocking to a Spike Lee movie on date night, but the difference is that Lee is a widely celebrated and respected filmmaker whose films are cultural icons and are among some of the most relevant depictions of black heritage and race relations in post-Civil Rights America. There's art in what he does, and there are plenty of whites who recognize that.
Only a part of the Hollywood establishment recognizes that and Black filmmakers have to fight hard as hell just for that little bit of recognition. Whites aren't flocking to a Spike Lee movie on date night (or any other night), renting one at Redbox, or stop flicking through channels after they land on "Do the Right Thing." A random middle-aged White guy in the suburbs isn't going to know the difference between Lee and Perry.

Quote:
We'll never be saying the same things about Tyler Perry, but I'll concede that he might just be an "A-lister", if only for his riches alone.
Never? "NEVER"? I mean really? The dude is still evolving as a filmmaker so it's a bit premature to say "never," don't you think?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Only a part of the Hollywood establishment recognizes that and Black filmmakers have to fight hard as hell just for that little bit of recognition. Whites aren't flocking to a Spike Lee movie on date night (or any other night), renting one at Redbox, or stop flicking through channels after they land on "Do the Right Thing." A random middle-aged White guy in the suburbs isn't going to know the difference between Lee and Perry.
I wouldn't go that far. I'd argue that any well-rounded film buff will be familiar with atleast some of his work. 'Do the Right Thing' and '4 Little Girls' are two Academy Award nominated films and 'Malcolm X' was also added to the NFR by the Library of Congress. His work has been praised around the world.
Quote:
Never? "NEVER"? I mean really? The dude is still evolving as a filmmaker so it's a bit premature to say "never," don't you think?
Maybe, but I just don't see any talent for screenwriting in his work, and it's unlikely that he'll ever be considered on the same level as Lee. He is an okay playwright, though. He may have more of a future in Broadway than on the silver screen, if you ask me.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. I'd argue that any well-rounded film buff will be familiar with atleast some of his work. 'Do the Right Thing' and '4 Little Girls' are two Academy Award nominated films and 'Malcolm X' was also added to the NFR by the Library of Congress. His work has been praised around the world.
I agree with you about the establishment, but not when it comes to ordinary Joes.

Quote:
Maybe, but I just don't see any talent for screenwriting in his work, and it's unlikely that he'll ever be considered on the same level as Lee. He is an okay playwright, though. He may have more of a future in Broadway than on the silver screen, if you ask me.
Hmmm, never thought about him having a future in Broadway, although that would just be a natural extension of his stage plays. I could see him upping his game to that level when it comes to plays in ways that he has in film (e.g., "For Colored Girls," "The Family That Preys" [which is very underrated, IMO], etc.).

Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I agree with you about the establishment, but not when it comes to ordinary Joes.
Then again, we could probably say the same thing about Woody Allen movies, couldn't we?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,949,872 times
Here is a video of musicians that have visited Atlanta over past 10 years....

"The Rock Musicians Van Signing 10 Year History Video" - YouTube

Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:

Hmmm, never thought about him having a future in Broadway, although that would just be a natural extension of his stage plays. I could see him upping his game to that level when it comes to plays in ways that he has in film (e.g., "For Colored Girls," "The Family That Preys" [which is very underrated, IMO], etc.).
Both of those movies are pretty bad and these two are toted as Perry's best work. Well I wouldn't say bad, but still lack depth and substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta