Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Both of those movies are pretty bad and these two are toted as Perry's best work. Well I wouldn't say bad, but still lack depth and substance.
I disagree as far as "The Family That Preys" goes. But "For Colored Girls," as you know, is an adaptation of an original work so if you feel it lacks depth, that's not because of Perry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I disagree as far as "The Family That Preys" goes. But "For Colored Girls," as you know, is an adaptation of an original work so if you feel it lacks depth, that's not because of Perry.
I know and yes it very much does. Even the playwrighter disliked it. His movies are very simple and immature.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Anyone can see that of the dozens of films that Perry has released over the past several years, every last one has been poorly reviewed. Compare that to Lee, whose films are pretty much consistently a success with critics.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I know and yes it very much does. Even the playwrighter disliked it. His movies are very simple and immature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Anyone can see that of the dozens of films that Perry has released over the past several years, every last one has been poorly reviewed. Compare that to Lee, whose films are pretty much consistently a success with critics.
We're getting way off track here, as we could be going back and forth on this all day. The point is that with Perry's incredible success in TV and film, I think he's to be considered much more than a "B-lister" who just happened to set up shop in Atlanta.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 AM

34 posts, read 66,390 times
Tyler Perry = absolutely great business model, but awful filmmaker and not creative at all. The world's richest drag queen.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaDawg View Post
Tyler Perry = absolutely great business model, but awful filmmaker and not creative at all. The world's richest drag queen.
Boom!

TP is a smart man and a an even greater con man. Religion is one way to attract black folks; believe it or not.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Boom!

TP is a smart man and a an even greater con man. Religion is one way to attract black folks; believe it or not.
So just because most of his movies have a religious slant to it, that means he's a "con man"? Give me a break dude.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaDawg View Post
I don't see any problem with Tyler Perry. Sure, his movies are pitched to the African American audience. And yes, they are generally hammered by film critics but they are loved by his audience.

So what? Weren't sitcoms like Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, The Office and umpteen others geared to white folks pretty formulaic?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
People have opinions and really I can careless what critics say I wouldn't even know where to begin with listing films critics praised or dislike that I like dislike or enjoyed. There's very few films that wow me by spike actually, most are just ok nothing special. Many of older film the camera angle were annoying and a lot of his films are over the top with politics, though not all. If you watch the bulk of his films you would think blacks are the top militant. And spike is the last person to say Perry is Connery with his corny Nike commercials. Again people have different opinions.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't see any problem with Tyler Perry. Sure, his movies are pitched to the African American audience. And yes, they are generally hammered by film critics but they are loved by his audience.

So what? Weren't sitcoms like Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, The Office and umpteen others geared to white folks pretty formulaic?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta