Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 PM

230 posts, read 492,948 times

Advertisements

Don't understand the point of them. Have nothing against them, but they should come down after two weeks. I graduated high school a couple of years ago, and as far as I know there was no banner for our neighborhood. Honestly, I do not think that it is for the kid, but more for the parents. People say that graduating is a big milestone (& it is), but that was not i experienced last month. One of my best friends graduated Northview, and people turned up in shorts and sandals . I believe the valedictorian started the speech with "wasup". The point being, if you are going to be celebrating a milestone, dress and act for the occasions, before putting a banner up. I personally would not want my name up on a banner for everyone to see. IMO, yard signs are more appropriate.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:49 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I think its a little excessive. The one by me, Byrnwick puts all of the high schools. There are about 10 or so and listed underneath is the High School. I think all but two kids went to the same school. All but one went to private school. Pretty sad. Remember when everyone in the hood went to the same school, neighborhood kids were lifelong friends. Now everyone is split up. Kids can't go outside to play without adult supervision 24/7. Different time.
In my house we have three children and they each attend a different private school! I actually think it works out great because it allows each of them to have an independent identity. The younger two do not have to live up to expectations set by their older brother.

The only problem we have occasionaly is scheduling conflicts.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Nowhere else do you see graduation banners like here.
I don't get it. So you graduated high school. Whooptey doo.
When you get through med school, then maybe.
I don't have kids.
Someone with kids tried explaining it to me once but I never really did understand. "It's for the parents, not the kids," he told me.
Whuh? It's not even for the kids?!!
I can understand a yard sign. But you drive down the street (it's a couple weeks past graduation by now) and there's a row of them tied up in front of every subdivision. A couple of them had actually covered up the subdivision's main sign with a banner.
My second question is why do non-subdivision homes tie them up in their yard but subdivision homes tie them up at the entrance of the subdivision? Why don't they tie them up in their yard too? Or why not tie them up along the downtown connector or as you come into the city if it is maximum exposure that you're shooting for?
I get such a kick out of the ones with pictures on it. I would be mortified if I had my mug tied up in front of the sub at that age. Gee thanks mom!
UM, lets see...if you don't have kids then you have not one idea in that head of yours how difficult it can be to push them through high school. For some parents it is a celebration for sure as well as a celebration for the child. Next, how in the hell can a kid get to medical school without high school and what is the harm in all the celebrating? The reason the signs are still up in ANY subdivision is that someone was too lazy to take them down. Be mad at that instead of misdirecting your anger towards graduation.
Lastly....hmmmm??? Did you not graduate from High School and then College?? Ahhh..was there celebration or did you just walk up to the podium, yank your diploma out of the hand of the Dean and not shake his hand? Come on..lighten up!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:01 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZLeaSWY37I

Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 PM

184 posts, read 205,503 times
Nowadays graduating from HS is about as challenging as tying your shoe. Sadly among black folk its still seen as an educational achievement. A HS diploma will get you a minimum wage job where you have to live in perpetual poverty, not much more than that.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:32 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
Nowadays graduating from HS is about as challenging as tying your shoe. Sadly among black folk its still seen as an educational achievement. A HS diploma will get you a minimum wage job where you have to live in perpetual poverty, not much more than that.
Oh, dear. Are we really going to go there?

Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcobb81 View Post
No one else thinks this is an example of why the younger generations are often entitled and self absorbed? Kids are super special to their parents, but not to anyone else! That is how it should be. Parents celebrate their kids, especially in front of others, way to much these days. I was a first generation college attendee and graduate, my parents were wonderfully proud. But no banner. I didn't expect one. What's wrong with a family parent and a parent telling the child in private how proud they are, that means more anyway! I think these banners are stupid and a perfect example of kids being told they are so important, just everyone who drives by needs to see their name!! (As if anyone has ever stopped to read it) The real world doesn't care, learning that is part of growing up! Btw, I have 3 kids and no parent has ever been more proud of their kids than I am. But, I want to raise them without an inflated sense of self! What can you do for others? Not look at me!
What makes you think parents don't tell their children they are proud of them?

Such silly angst over a recognition banner that remains in place a couple of weeks. If you don't want your children recognized, then don't participate, or live outside a neighborhood. Easy peasy.

Once again I had the opportunity to congratulate five seniors in our neighborhood on their high school graduation. I didn't see any inflated sense of self, just 5 thank yous in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta