Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:51 PM

449 posts, read 1,177,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Damn, after reading the article it is not wonder race was brought up. WTF?

Genterification has nothing to do with race. It's all about income levels and prices.
Technically, but in 2012 in Atl, most "non-colored folks" don't wanna move into a neighborhood with mostly blacks and hispanics.

I'm all for improving neighborhoods, but lets not forget what gentrfication is about. Moving certain demographics to the suburbs so that the upper middle class can move closer to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:04 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,903,187 times
Well then 30317 is full of white people that don't mind living with blacks and Hispanics.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:16 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,844,964 times
I understand the intent of the post, to show how a neighborhood has transformed due to gentrification, but I also do agree to an extent with the words below and I also wonder regarding the question I bolded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So when something as ridiculous as how many white people live in an area being a measure of how gentrified a neighborhood is, you are all over it, but anytime race is ever brought up in other threads, people are instantly racist for talking about things that have nothing to do with race.

Hmmmm.......

Let's get this straight right here, right now: Does the number of white people who live in an area indicate how nice or gentrified the neighborhood is?

If so, then you can have this one.....but there are a million arguments that a million people on this board are about to lose.
In response to that questions, to many people, the answer is Yes. I find that here in the metro especially that if a larger percentage of white people live in a neighborhood then that neighborhood is considered by many - no matter their ethnicity, to be better than a similar all black neighborhood. It is pretty mind boggling to me, someone who grew up around a lot of poor white people who knows that white residents does not always equate good neighborhood, but I find that many people here in Metro Atlanta believe that white equals better. You can find evidence of this here in this forum where you will see a lot of talk about specific neighborhoods to live in - they are usually either mostly white or in the process of gentrification. You see it with schools, especially APS schools, which are lauded as "good" because they are in those neighborhoods but you can find majority black schools in majority black neighborhoods that perform pretty much the same or even better, especially high schools where I see Jackson or North Atlanta talked about as decent, but you never hear about Mays which has a better "great schools" rating than Jackson and North Atlanta and is only one point lower than Grady. But you don't hear about this school or the neighborhood it is in very often. I find that in Atlanta that white usually means "good" to a lot of people, not all but to a lot and that a "bad" neighborhood is usually either "good" already or is getting to be a "good" neighborhood when white people move there, simple as that.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,078,076 times
Where does the author say it's not about race? I never saw that.

But even if he did say that, which I don't see that he does, it's meaningless. The metric he is using is about race exclusively.

What would your reaction be if someone used a measure of black and Hispanic population increases to surmise that an area is decaying?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM

You know what I didn't post this damn article for people like you to attack. I thought someone might find it interesting.
Quote:
Where does the author say it's not about race? I never saw that.
Okay so if you click on the link http://www.edexcellence.net/commenta...ed-states.htmlto the actual publication and read what he said
Quote:
I looked at zip codes (which isn’t perfect, because boundaries can change) and places with a large increase in the white share of the population (which isn’t perfect, because you’d really want to look at changes in income levels, but those data aren’t available yet for 2010).

Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,958,012 times
When I Google 30317, the pin drops right on East Lake. That isn't right is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest gentrifying neighborhood in Atlanta might surprise you.-6d770c2319adbbdd6a94e26025f3a560.jpg  

Old 06-12-2012, 02:49 PM

Yes East Lake is included in 30317, I apologize for just mentioning Kirkwood.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:49 PM

So he admits his methodology isn't perfect....but also that it's the methodology that he used.

So how is it not about race?

It's EXCLUSIVELY about race. How could you post an article like that and not think it would get attacked?

We may as well figure out which schools are the best by how many white kids go there.

I'm not saying it's not a valid metric. I'm just saying that you can't pick and choose your metrics based on whether they validate your opinions or not. If we want to say white people make neighborhoods better, that's fine by me....but let's make sure we stick with it in all future discussions.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
It's EXCLUSIVELY about race. How could you post an article like that and not think it would get attacked?
Because I thought we are all adults and can click on links. That's fine attack my post all you want. I'll go home to 30317 and be proud in knowing what this zip code has done in 10 years.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:00 PM

What it has done is attract more white people.

I'd be proud of that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta